the writing on the wall

So, maybe I'm just being very, very dense, but I'm still a little bit confused. Who was writing the "prophecies" on Dalinar's wall throughout Words of Radiance? I know there's a theory that it was Renarin, because he started writing zero's on the wall at the very end, but if you read all the other scenes it makes it sound like he had no opportunity to do so. Dalinar at one point was convince he himself was doing it in his sleep. What's the consensus, and could someone please explain it to me? Or is this still a mystery?

My personal idea is Renarin wrote them and used the Illumination surge to hide himself from the prying eyes. My thoughts are he was trying to warm his family of the impeding Everstorm, but could not bring himself to be more straight-forward. 

My personal idea is Renarin wrote them and used the Illumination surge to hide himself from the prying eyes. My thoughts are he was trying to warm his family of the impeding Everstorm, but could not bring himself to be more straight-forward. 

I thought about this, but remember, Illumination doesn't let you become invisible, you have to hide inside the illusion of something else. At least, that's as much as Shallan can manage, and she's far further along with it than Renarin. He can barely admit to himself that he's a surgebinder. It would be very inconsistent for him to have enough skill with Illumination to sneak into Dalinar's (locked!) room, keeping himself both unseen and unheard, and then get his butt kicked in the dueling arena when he jumps in to help Adolin.

Edited by 11thorderknight

I thought about this, but remember, Illumination doesn't let you become invisible, you have to hide inside the illusion of something else. At least, that's as much as Shallan can manage, and she's far further along with it than Renarin. He can barely admit to himself that he's a surgebinder. It would be very inconsistent for him to have enough skill with Illumination to sneak into Dalinar's (locked!) room, keeping himself both unseen and unheard, and then get his butt kicked in the dueling arena when he jumps in to help Adolin.

I think we, the readers, have a false sense as to how advanced Renarin is in terms of surgebinding. Do not forget Glys was articulate enough, by the end of WoR, to tell Renarin he was a Truthwatcher, a feat Syl did not managed until Kal said the second oath. Besides, Radiants seem to progress differently and each seemed to have a stronger affinity with one surge. It could be using Illumination to hide himself comes more naturally for Renarin than Shallan. There is also the fact Shallan is repressing a lot and has blocked herself.

It is also one thing to sneak in one place, but it is another one to withstand a fight in an arena with a screaming Blade. The two do not compare: when he wrote the signs on the wall, nobody was threatening him and nothing was yelling in his head. Besides, writing glyphards used a skill Renarin already possessed whereas fighting/dueling is a skill Renarin does not have, worst in book text points towards him not being very good at it, despite his obvious handicap.

• Chaos locked this topic