Modern jobs for Metallic Arts?

For this topic, I'm going to call anything post-WW1 "modern", even if the job no longer exists today.

What are some modern-day jobs that a Misting, Feruchemist (ferucheming? Is there a term for 1-metal feruchemy?), or a Twinborn would be specially suited to doing?

Thug or Brute: bodyguard/soldier/SWAT officer are obvious, but also construction worker and playing professional sports. Thug would also make an amazing gymnast or circus performer.

Tineye or Tinmind: scout/lookout are obvious, also marine biologist, submarine sonar operator. Archeologist and paleontologist (fossils have a different feel/look, plus with practice they could be their own ultrasound machine).

Pulser: ambulance/fire first responder. Slow the shot person/burning car until backup can arrive.

Bendalloy and Cadmium compounders: Astronauts. Massive weight savings on food & oxygen, in the event of an emergency create a Cadmium bubble to halt the damage while a Bendalloy bubble speeds up repairs. (Would have to be very careful, or else the spaceship could rip itself apart... would still work if they landed on a planet)

Hemalurgist therapist, who helps you deal with traumatic events by stealing your memories of them. (Requires a non-lethal way of spiking. WoB is that this sort of thing would be very traumatic in turn, but I could see it being worth it in some limited cases.)

Hemalurgist Feruchemist nurse, giving people Allomantic gold spikes and administering unlocked goldminds to heal you from anything.

Auger: write a book filled with various cliches about uncovering your true self. Claim that even non-Augurs will be able to replicate your amazing journey of self-discovery by purchasing and reading said book. Later expand your franchise into motivational speeches and inspirational DVDs. Rake in the boxings. B)

Soother/Connector: Ultimate Therapist

Rioter: Auctioneer. Could make you really, REALLY want that painting.

Hemalurgist therapist, who helps you deal with traumatic events by stealing your memories of them. (Requires a non-lethal way of spiking. WoB is that this sort of thing would be very traumatic in turn, but I could see it being worth it in some limited cases.)

Hemalurgist Feruchemist nurse, giving people Allomantic gold spikes and administering unlocked goldminds to heal you from anything.

Wouldn't the Goldmind heal the spike right out of the patient? (Unless the person viewed the spike as a part of themselves, but I don't see that happening quickly or easily)

Wouldn't the Goldmind heal the spike right out of the patient? (Unless the person viewed the spike as a part of themselves, but I don't see that happening quickly or easily)

If it did, you've still accomplished your goal. Inquisitors seem to indicate that using goldminds is not likely to do that, though.

In the case that this is a problem, just get a Gold Compounder to generate enough spikes for the entire population and give one to everyone!

If it did, you've still accomplished your goal. Inquisitors seem to indicate that using goldminds is not likely to do that, though.

I suspect that the making of an Inquisitor is so traumatic that any sense of physical "self" they had was effectively wiped out. Even if this is not the case, in order to tap a Goldmind an Inquisitor would first have to fill it for several days, during which they would come see their new body - spikes and all - as "self".

In the case that this is a problem, just get a Gold Compounder to generate enough spikes for the entire population and give one to everyone!

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!

That would be a "ferring".

And Soothers/Rioters would make good counselors and/or psychiatrists/psychologists.

damnation, I actually used to know that, but for some reason I'd convinced myself that the term meant "iron compounder".

Brains are weird.

Atium for sports/bodyguards/police

PHysical powers for the same thing

Emotional allomancy for commerce 

Honestly, if Brandon builds up a modern economy this is one of the most interesting things to look forward too. The more sophisticated the world gets the richer and more pampered those with powers will become. Introduce some conflict in the world that they must deal with and you have a decent story right there. 

Edited by dayman

Aluminum Gnat/Bloodmaker: Nuclear waste cleanup. Feed the gnat radioactive metals, have them burn Aluminum to eliminate the metals, repeat. When they come down with cancer, tap the Goldmind to recover. (This would likely NOT be a job they would volunteer for)

Aluminum Gnat/Bloodmaker: Nuclear waste cleanup. Feed the gnat radioactive metals, have them burn Aluminum to eliminate the metals, repeat. When they come down with cancer, tap the Goldmind to recover. (This would likely NOT be a job they would volunteer for)

I like this a lot (though it assumes aluminum wipes non-Allomantic reserves, which I don't think is confirmed?). I wouldn't volunteer, but it would definitely be something I'd do if I were paid well.

I like this a lot (though it assumes aluminum wipes non-Allomantic reserves, which I don't think is confirmed?). I wouldn't volunteer, but it would definitely be something I'd do if I were paid well.

My basis for assuming it is is this: Mistborn can burn non-allomantic metals, which show up as unrecognized reserves (though I find it interesting that a bad alloy can't be detected this way), meaning all metals are allomanticly active in some way and should be wiped out.

If this is NOT the case, then we just found a really easy and safe way to detect new allomantic metals (assuming you have a Mistborn handy). To completely confirm the number of base metals, feed a Mistborn a sample of every pure element in a single vial, have them burn aluminum, then retch up their stomach contents. Any missing metals are allomantically active.

Even if the above is true, I still think my idea should work since Aluminum Savants can cleanse their body of poisons, and things like Uranium are definitely poisonous. (It would likely take longer this way)

My basis for assuming it is is this: Mistborn can burn non-allomantic metals, which show up as unrecognized reserves (though I find it interesting that a bad alloy can't be detected this way), meaning all metals are allomanticly active in some way and should be wiped out.

(Vin burns multiple bad alloys of aluminium before Well of Ascension before discovering duralumin. :)) I think you're probably right in that Aluminium would remove non-allomantic metals as well.

Just eating all the nuclear waste in the world? That sounds impracticable but decent idea.

It depends on if/how they reprocess the fuel. At the start, modern nuclear fuel is only around 3-5% useful uranium, and the reaction stops at around 0.5% (based on some quick reading), so assuming they process the fuel for reuse only 2.5%-4.5% of it needs to be fed to my purifier (probably even a bit less, assuming some is kept for research)

But isn't aluminum super expensive in the mistborn world. Even when we advance to the point where nuclear power is prevalent enough that a clean up method is necessary, there would still be a whole lot of useful applications for aluminium and its alloys that bureaucrats might not be willing to give up or limit just so that some places could be cleaner.

On another hand if gnats are able get rid of poison you could make easy money as a poison tester with little posion

But isn't aluminum super expensive in the mistborn world. Even when we advance to the point where nuclear power is prevalent enough that a clean up method is necessary, there would still be a whole lot of useful applications for aluminium and its alloys that bureaucrats might not be willing to give up or limit just so that some places could be cleaner.

On another hand if gnats are able get rid of poison you could make easy money as a poison tester with little posion

It's expensive because it's storming difficult to process from its natural form without advances in electrolysis, which the AoL era hasn't figured out (they're reaching the industrial era and cars are still new). It's not rare or anything, Scadrial even has higher metal ore content than Earth IIRC.

By the time they understand nuclear theory it should be cheap as hell.

Edited by natc

But isn't aluminum super expensive in the mistborn world. Even when we advance to the point where nuclear power is prevalent enough that a clean up method is necessary, there would still be a whole lot of useful applications for aluminium and its alloys that bureaucrats might not be willing to give up or limit just so that some places could be cleaner.

AoL is roughly 18th/19th Century. On Earth in the late 19th Century a couple of refinement techniques were discovered that caused the cost of purified Aluminum to drop to roughly 0.1% (1/1,000th) of what it had been worth just 20 years prior. By the 20th Century it was so cheap that practically everyone in Canada/US had a roll of it in their kitchen.

So by the time Nuclear waste is an issue, it's a question of "Do we want to spend $20,000,000 on storage facilities or toss Fred $300,000 and a roll of kitchen foil"

It's an extreme use of the metal (IE: Savants only), so even though it's technically possible I suspect we won't actually see it in books because this use won't ever be discovered in world.

Firesoul (Brass ferring) firefighters.

Lurcher building inspectors.

Skimmer boxers and wrestlers (probably banned, but still).

Windwhisperer sewage plant manager (had to try and find something a Tineye couldn't do as well).

Ooh, I like this one. I hadn't thought of the uses of Feruchemical brass. I wonder if it does actually make you nigh-immune to fire? Could you swim in lava?

Feruchemical Brass being in the Cognitive quadrant always led me to think it was storing one's perception of warmth.  Though if that is how it works then I wonder how it could be useful...perhaps it'd help in situations similar to those where we temporarily suppress our feeling of pain, like situations where you only need to temporarily feel cold or feel warm to help you ignore the reality of the situation?

My personal inability to come up with something that seems legitimately useful does make me suspect though that despite being Cognitive it still affects actual physical warmth...hmm.  In which case woo fire immunity!  It'd probably also help with things like blacksmithing and anything else that involves lots of heat.

Ooh, I like this one. I hadn't thought of the uses of Feruchemical brass. I wonder if it does actually make you nigh-immune to fire? Could you swim in lava?

WoB:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27feruchemy%27

THOUGHTFUL SPURTS

If tapping heat means your own body gets hotter, does it also mean you become immune to hot temperatures so long as you're tapping it, or should you fill heat and grow colder for that to happen?
BRANDON SANDERSON
As everything in Feruchemy, you become immune to the effects of the ability only. Like weight doesn't crush you, but at the same time doesn't have a net gain in strength. Growing colder, however, would be more helpful in this regard.

--------------------------------

So no lava-swimming, but a brass ferring would still make an above-average firefighter since they'd be virtually immune to heat stroke and potentially wouldn't have to wear as much protection.

Also for Brass ferring: Arctic/Antarctic researcher

There's always a limit to how quickly you can store, though.

Yes, but no. The storage limit is based on 100% of your available resources, so the more resources available the faster you store. A feruchemist with a fever/suffering heatstroke could store heat faster than one with hypothermia, for example. (Note that storing 100% of certain things, like healing or breath, will likely kill you/knock you unconscious)

Feruchemical Brass being in the Cognitive quadrant always led me to think it was storing one's perception of warmth.  Though if that is how it works then I wonder how it could be useful...perhaps it'd help in situations similar to those where we temporarily suppress our feeling of pain, like situations where you only need to temporarily feel cold or feel warm to help you ignore the reality of the situation?

My personal inability to come up with something that seems legitimately useful does make me suspect though that despite being Cognitive it still affects actual physical warmth...hmm.  In which case woo fire immunity!  It'd probably also help with things like blacksmithing and anything else that involves lots of heat.

WoB:

(same link as above)

SATSUONI
How is heat a mental attribute in Feruchemy?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Because I messed up. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but that power was supposed to be swapped with another one. (You might be able to guess which one.) However, by the time I realized my mistake, it had already been canonized in print in the trilogy, so I was stuck with it. I've been tempted to go back and correct the error, but it reaches pretty far back. People drawing upon warmth is mentioned in the first book. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that in general the 'physical, mental, etc' things are applied by people--they are boxes that people investigating the magic have used to describe it.