Random Abrasion Surge Pondering

Kobold King

Exactly. These are Brandon Sanderson books, and there are still 8 of them to go. We don't have anywhere near the full picture of what Surgebinding can do. I believe both of your suggestions -- crushing with Pressure and speeding chemical reactions with Abrasion -- are theoretically valid uses of those Surges.

I have suspicions that the Shattered Plains were shattered by a Lightweaver, using the Surge of Soundforms. Cymatics works as foreshadowing for this.

That's an interesting idea, also interesting of course that there is that connection between "pressure" and illumination (sound-waves).

I wonder if that means there are other surges/orders that have powers that might imitate each other to some degree, or make use of similar concepts to achieve different goals.

To me the Adesion Surge can't may used in a "volume" with decent effort.

Maybe you may use it to generate something like "pressurizated air punch" (as the Impact Dial of One Piece if you know) but at touch (maxing the pressure of a small volume). Because we saw that the Adesion surge work through "spray Stormlight that alter the Pressure and therefore is very very local about what may Influence.

Even though I love One Piece, the impact dial probably wasn't the best analogy to use here since the impact dial is acting surprisingly like a metalmind. It stores the forces that are being acted on it, and then releases it all at once.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Once-ler

Even though I love One Piece, the impact dial probably wasn't the best analogy to use here since the impact dial is acting surprisingly like a metalmind. It stores the forces that are being acted on it, and then releases it all at once.

EDIT: spelling

Sure but I am talking about the "effect" not the mechanics.

A great pressure at zero range. But I suppose that it's unlikely because the Pressure have to be very very high to produce a similar effect. and the Radiant may be hurt within the target.

I don't think that the abrasion surge can increase friction, otherwise it would have been called out on the coppermind. Then it would be called adhesion.

Abrasion makes less friction

Adhesion makes more friction

The fact that it is not mentioned on the wiki is not a compelling reason.  Wiki editors have the potential to fallible, just like anybody else, and the wiki is not able to include information that is not publicly available.  So while I'd argue it is very likely that Abrasion could increase friction, that ability has not shown up in the books.  Ergo it isn't listed in the power-set.  (Though really it should go in a theory section, and be included in some way.)

It doesn't make that much sense that the Surge of Pressure and Vacuum can alter friction at all.

It doesn't alter the Friction but with through the vacum it may generate a similar effect.

It's like a "sucker"( Google traslator tell me that are the right word in English but I am not sure) that can stay on a wall and lift some weight without alter friction. Just using the Vacuum strenght.

It doesn't alter the Friction but with through the vacum it may generate a similar effect.

It's like a "sucker"( Google traslator tell me that are the right word in English but I am not sure) that can stay on a wall and lift some weight without alter friction. Just using the Vacuum strenght.

I think the word you are looking for is probably "Suction Cup"

• Chaos locked this topic