Mistborn Brew

StormAtlas

I have recently started getting into home brewing; making IPAS, Pilsners, Porters etc etc. And do to my love of beer of all types I started to think... If there was a beer that represented each of the metal types and their users what would it be?

For instances I think that a Tin-eye beer would be something very light an not extremely complex like a Pilsner so that their senses weren't overwhelmed, or it might be the exact opposite and could be a really deep complex beer that has not just the basics in it but a really deep flora sense to it like maybe a really hoppy lavender IPA or a Chocolate Porter

A thug would probably drink a beer with a high ABV%, something like an Imperial Stout or a Dark Lager. I don't think they would be very picky on the taste, preferring to choose something with more of a kick over anything else since burning pewter would allow them to have a ridiculous tolerance.

A soother might drink a cool refreshing beer like a pale lager. Something light and easy to drink (that also has a color hue similar to polished brass)

A rioter I think would be drinking a barely wine, a huge abv% that is very bitter and really just a shock to your taste buds because there is so much flavor.

These are just a few combinations I thought of and was wondering what everyone else thought? If you where going to design a beer around one of the metals what would it be? How complex would you make it? Would there be a hint of oats in it? Maybe a touch of chocolate or coffee? Would you have really complex aromas of flora? or just the hoppiest thing around?

P.s It's a silly topic I know but what can I say, I love beer and mistborn

Edited by StormAtlas

• 2 weeks later...

I was previously unable to find a good list of types of beers that I could post for people to look at and maybe pare stuff up with.

This is just a basic list but I thought it might help

Ales

Ales date back to ancient times, and are brewed all over the world, although they are known for being widely produced and consumed in England. Ales tend to be sweet, full-bodied beers. They can be anywhere from a pale gold to dark, rich brown in color, depending on the grains used in the brewing process. Ales use what is known as “top-fermenting” yeast, or yeast that rises to the surface of the beer during fermentation. This yeast ferments best at temperatures between approximately 55°F and 75°F. Most of these beers are served in pint glasses, unless otherwise specified due to their body or flavor.

• Amber Ale. Amber ales are similar to pale ales but slightly sweeter, from the excess malt. They are also darker in color; hence the name “amber” in place of “pale.” Fat Tire Amber Ale from New Belgium Brewing Inc, and Budweiser American Ale are popular varieties of amber ales.
  • Bitter. One of the most popular ales in England, bitter contains hops but more for a pleasant aroma than for bitterness. Bitter can have flavors reminiscent of fruits and caramel, depending on the yeast and grain type. Typically it is a light, drinkable beer, but it can be strong and heavy-bodied; then it is called an extra special bitter, or ESB. Bitters range from golden to dark red in color. A more common bitter is Foster’s Special Bitter from the Foster’s Group Limited Brewery.
  • Pale Ale. Pale ale is light-colored beer that is both malty and hoppy. Pale ales from England are often hoppier and even spicy, whereas American pale ales are a little lighter, sometimes with fruity aromas. A well-known example of a pale ale is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company.
  • India Pale Ale (IPA). India Pale Ale, known to many as simple IPA, is an English ale that dates back to the 1800s, when British brewers produced beers with strong amounts of hops in order to help preserve the beer during long shipping times overseas. At the time, much of this beer was destined for India, hence the name. These beers are typically golden or amber in color, and are known for their bitter aroma and flavor. Shipyard Brewing Company’s IPA is a favorite for those who enjoy this hoppy flavor.
  • Irish Ale. Ireland has a long tradition of brewing ales, which tend to be deep red in color with a malty or sweet flavor profile. These beers are not aggressively hopped. A popular Irish Ale is Killian’s Irish Red.

Stout. Stouts are distinguished by the use of unmalted, dark-roasted barley, low amount of hops, and often sweet, carmel or chocolate aromas. There are several styles, including dry stouts, cream stouts and oatmeal stouts. The most famous dry stout is Guinness, and it is termed a “dry” stout because most of the sugars are eaten up during fermentation, leaving the stout with a crisp, minimally sweet flavor. Dry stouts are also slightly more hoppy, or bitter, than other stouts.

Recommended Glassware: Irish stouts are best served in either a pub glass or beer mug. These beers are considered very drinkable due to their smooth creaminess. Because of this, heftier glasses are appropriate.

Porter. A porter is a very dark ale, made from heavy roasted malt. Porters can taste sweet or very hoppy, since the amount of malt and hops is variable. Typically this type of ale is medium bodied with a crisp finish. There are many porters, and Black Jack Porter from Left Hand Brewing Company is one of the more well-known varieties.

Wheat Beer. Wheat beers are found under many different names, such as weissbier or hefeweizen, but always have wheat included in their grain profile. These beers are refreshing, pale in color, sometimes cloudy and unfiltered, and highly carbonated. Fruity flavors are common. A well-known wheat beer is the In-Heat Wheat, from Flying Dog Brewery.

Lagers

The lager is known for its crisp, clean taste. This is in large part due to the fermentation process, which involves “bottom-fermenting yeast,” or yeasts that tend to settle on the bottom of the fermenter. This is due to the fact that lager beers ferment at lower temperatures, from about 45°F to 59°F. As a result of these lower temperatures, the fermentation process takes much longer. In addition, lagers go through a low-temperature aging process known as “lagering.” This helps mellow the beer to create a smoother taste.

• Bock. A bock is a sweet, dark lager with roots in Germany as a seasonal, springtime beer. Bocks can range from malty in flavor, which is more traditional, to paler, more hoppy-flavored bocks, often known as Helles bocks. Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery, or Michelob Amber Bock from Anheuser-Busch, Inc, are two more well-known bocks.
  • Dunkel. Dunkel beer is the original style of a German lager beer. Dunkels are dark amber in color, with moderate alcoholic strength and flavors often reminiscent of coffee, chocolate and licorice. St Pauli Girl Special Dark is considered a dunkel Lager.
  • Märzen. Also spelled Mäerzen, this type of beer is sometimes called Oktoberfest beer. Märzen has origins in Munich during the 1400s and 1500s, before refrigeration. At this time, most beers were brewed in March (Märzen) and then kept in naturally cold storage places like cellars and caves during the warmer months of the year until being served at Oktoberfest in September and October. Märzen beer, or Märzenbier, is full-bodied, rich and dark copper in color. Samuel Adams Octoberfest is a popular style of Märzen beer.
  • Pale Lager. Pales lagers are a very popular style of beer worldwide. These beers are straw-colored and have a mild to medium hop character, although many preserve a malty taste in addition to being clean and crisp. These beers are usually highly carbonated but not high in alcohol content. This is the most common commercially-brewed beers. Pilsner lagers are a type of pale lager. The name originated in the town of Pilzen in what is now the Czech Republic. These beers are light in color, higher in hops than pale lagers and not typically high in alcohol. Michelob is an example of a pale lager, while the Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager is an example of a Czech-style pilsner.

From: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/education/types-of-beer/c27436.aspx

Edited by StormAtlas

I think that Tin-Eyes might be the snobbiest of snobs. They'd either enjoy very light beers that appear to others to be bland or simple (but with flavors which the tin-eye alone could taste), or very complex beers with too many flavors for the average drinker.

But then, those same attributes would be the ones that would lead a Tin-Eye to favor wine.

Thugs may well prefer a higher alcohol content when they're dragging pewter, but they could also be the mistings who have to keep the most control over themselves. A drunk thug would be pretty hard to deal with without thugs of your own. Thus, they're more likely to be the bouncer than the patron. A Thug on a bender probably leaves his pewter in his pocket until he wants to clear up a hangover.

Likewise, Soothers would more likely be employed by taverns to diffuse tense situations and get the public back to drinking. Fights are bad for business.

Rioters would probably be dangerous drunks as the drunker they got, they more they'd try to make everyone else drunk as well by rioting everyone's passions/desire/humor. A rioter never drinks alone, even when he/she does.

• Chaos locked this topic