The Almighty and his Shard

Finallity

We've all assumed that The Almighty from TWoK was a holder of a shard of Adonalsium(Honor).

We also know that he is dead, presumably killed by Odium, another 'shard holder.'

So what happened to The Almighty's shard? Was it consumed by Odium? Or, my guess, it is now its own entity, seeking an owner. I can see some kind of whole Hero Of Ages search type thing later in the series, with one character (maybe one we've met already?) becoming the Honor, like Sazed did with Preservation and Ruin.

So I guess the point of this post is mainly to ask, do you think something like this is possible/ probable, and if so what character would you want to be the new part of Adonalsium?

I for one am on team Szeth.  ;D

I think the only reason this isn't likely is that we've already had a series that ended with someone becoming God.  So, while what you propose is certainly possible in regards to the rules of the cosmere, it doesn't seem likely from a story-telling standpoint.  It could quickly become, "Oh, look. Brandon Sanderson wrote another book about somebody becoming God.  ZZZZZZZZZ."  So, in summary: Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

Also, Dalinar FTW.

I'm going to guess that Odium did something really weird, that is, he took on the Honor shard himself.  It would be a rather strange shard combo, and one that could prove rather interesting for an antagonist.

My only issue with that if Odium does that, then it makes it very strange that he didn't take Aona's and Skai's.  If Odium was going to take multiple shards, then he should probably want to get all of them, to become a new version of Adonalsium.  It's more likely that he's more of a Cosmere-spanning version of Ruin, that wants to end everything.

Maybe holding the shard of Odium for so long has stopped him from holding any other shard, like Sazed was able to. Anyway, I still dont think that the Almighty's shard is honour. Honour is only one part of magic system seemingly linked to the almighty's shard. There are other parts of it that are not linked to honour. I think that the Almighty's shard may be something a bit broader, maybe there is something in the magic system which reflects the Almighty's shard better but we don't know it yet as we don't have enough information.

If the Almighty held Honour, then I wonder if there was any interesting shard interactions to create certain things on Roshar.

On Scadril, Preservation and Ruin had to work together to create because of their opposite natures, but also easily able to stop each other from affecting the world.

On Roshar, as there are no obvious polar opposite shards, they should have more effectiveness in influencing the world, but could they still work together to create things, and what would be the creation of something the combines Honour and Cultivation I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

"I think the only reason this isn't likely is that we've already had a series that ended with someone becoming God.  So, while what you propose is certainly possible in regards to the rules of the cosmere, it doesn't seem likely from a story-telling standpoint.  It could quickly become, "Oh, look. Brandon Sanderson wrote another book about somebody becoming God.  ZZZZZZZZZ."  So, in summary: Possible? Yes. Probable? No."

Technically, all his shardworld projects involve people becoming gods (The Elantrians, The Returned, the one in Mistborn, and I think he stated that at Writing Excuses).

I have a question about The Almighty conserning the name of his shardholder (that was the term for the identety of the person controlling the shards right? like Ati - Ruin and so on).

During the scene were Kaladin dreams about being the Highstorm, on page 648 there is a voice that speaks to him that refers to him as: "Cild of Tanavast. Child of Honor. Child of the one long since departed

Now we now that the identety of The Almightys shard i Honor, we also know that he died long ago which in a manner of speaking makes him departed.

My question then is, could Tanavast be the name of Honors shardholder or am i completly wrong and it is the name of one of the Heralds?

"I think the only reason this isn't likely is that we've already had a series that ended with someone becoming God.  So, while what you propose is certainly possible in regards to the rules of the cosmere, it doesn't seem likely from a story-telling standpoint.  It could quickly become, "Oh, look. Brandon Sanderson wrote another book about somebody becoming God.  ZZZZZZZZZ."  So, in summary: Possible? Yes. Probable? No."

Technically, all his shardworld projects involve people becoming gods (The Elantrians, The Returned, the one in Mistborn, and I think he stated that at Writing Excuses).

Ah, all his projects involve people who are called Gods, but all for different reasons.  The Elantrians because they are shiny and have powerful magic.  The Lord Ruler because he was immortal, ruled with a god-like fist, and said that he was god.  "Worship me or die."  The Returned because they came back from the dead, can see the future, and can perform healing miracles.  The only true Gods we've interacted with are Ruin and Preservation, and that series ended with the creation of a new god in their place.  So while godhood, and all the different reasons one might be said to attain it are certainly going to be recurring themes,  I think it unlikely that a character will find Honor and become the new Almighty.  Or, if someone does, they won't be able to resolve the conflict the way Sazed was.  Because Brandon already did that.

I have a question about The Almighty conserning the name of his shardholder (that was the term for the identety of the person controlling the shards right? like Ati - Ruin and so on).

During the scene were Kaladin dreams about being the Highstorm, on page 648 there is a voice that speaks to him that refers to him as: "Cild of Tanavast. Child of Honor. Child of the one long since departed

Now we now that the identety of The Almightys shard i Honor, we also know that he died long ago which in a manner of speaking makes him departed.

My question then is, could Tanavast be the name of Honors shardholder or am i completly wrong and it is the name of one of the Heralds?

Now that's interesting. I'm looking, and I'm pretty sure "Tanavast" is not the name of a Herald.

Interesting, interesting.

Hang on.

Do we know that the Almighty died long ago? I don't think that's ever explicitly stated...

Well. No. But it's pretty heavily implied, since everything we see of the Almighty is older than Hoid (note that this is me making up a figure of speech, so don't take it literally. Hoid happens to be the oldest person we know of who's still around in-universe).

• 2 months later...

what if the allmighty is sazed but more attuned to his shard, the almighty says he is, was God, Sazed says the same thing when he gets both shards

Honor, Ruin, and Preservation are separate shards, on separate worlds, confirmed by Brandon.

Hang on.

Do we know that the Almighty died long ago? I don't think that's ever explicitly stated...

I believe it is very much open to interpretation. If there's evidence one way or another there, I'm not seeing it.

Well. No. But it's pretty heavily implied, since everything we see of the Almighty is older than Hoid (note that this is me making up a figure of speech, so don't take it literally. Hoid happens to be the oldest person we know of who's still around in-universe).

You don't know that. Brandon said Hoid was there when Adonalsium was shattered...

• 2 years later...

My only issue with that if Odium does that, then it makes it very strange that he didn't take Aona's and Skai's.  If Odium was going to take multiple shards, then he should probably want to get all of them, to become a new version of Adonalsium.  It's more likely that he's more of a Cosmere-spanning version of Ruin, that wants to end everything.

Odium isn't anything like Ruin.Ruin represents destruction,while Odium represents hatred.Ruin could never found an empire,while Odium could definitely found an empire based on hate.

On Roshar, as there are no obvious polar opposite shards, they should have more effectiveness in influencing the world, but could they still work together to create things, and what would be the creation of something the combines Honour and Cultivation I wonder?

Although not a creation in the strictest sense perhaps, but the KR seem to me to be a joint effort between Cultivation and Honor.  The progressive nature of the 5 Oaths smacks strongly of Cultivation to me while the ideals of the KR, as found within the Oaths, are virtually an embodiment of Honor.

• Chaos locked this topic