What Are The Dawnshards

Awesomness

Hi everyone, this ir my first post and I´m not a native english speaker so please be patient!

I was just rereading WoK´s last chapter, In the top room. For those who not remember, is the one in which Dalinar learns the Almighty is dead.

This specific quote caught my attention:

“You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And… without the Dawnshards… Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone.”

Fragmento de: Brandon Sanderson. “The Way of Kings”. iBooks. Emphasis mine.

There´s also another reference, in one of the epigraphs: 

Taking the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal, he crawled up the steps crafted for Heralds, ten strides tall apiece, toward the grand temple above.
—From the Poem of Ista. I have found no modern explanation of what these "Dawnshards" are. They seem ignored by scholars, though talk of them was obviously prevalent among those recording the early mythologies[1]

What is a Dawnshard??? What does it mean to "bind any creature"? And why is it so important?

This is killing me, please tell me what you think :)

Here are a number of threads that provide speculation dating back to the Shadowdays:

tl;dr: Nobody knows, but there are theories

There is an emoticon icon in the editor.  The ninja is an option

Edited by hoser

• Chaos locked this topic