Was Tanavast An Arbitrator?

CabbageHead

I have absolutely nothing to back any of this up, it is pure random speculation. I was wondering... Was Tanavast merely an arbitrator in a conflict between Cultivation and Odium? All we know about the Heralds is that they entered into a pact, one part of which which involved being tortured and killed, presumably by the forces of Odium, and alternately rejuvenated, again presumably by the power of Cultivation. The Honour side of all this, is that they play their part and keep their promise. The other part of the Oathpact appears to be them having free rein to fight in the same war on a different field with immense power. This all sounds a bit like a war between Cultivation and Odium, with some of Tanavasts's followers as pawns in between, bound by honour to follow the rules of engagement agreed upon. Also, Tanavast seems almost surprised in the ultimate vision where he comments that he should have forseen Odium killing him, almost like it was an unthinkable outcome... like killing the referee in a game and then slaughtering the opposing team. Any ideas on this wild speculation?

Wow.  For one second, I thought that this asked if Tanavest was an ARBITER.  I need to stop playing HALO :)

That being said, I think that this was more Odium overpowering both Honor AND Cultivation, not Honor stepping between the two.  Odium's definitely after Honor.  Tanavest was likely not a mediator.

I still favor my own baseless speculation that the surprise is due to the Purelake mythology about them being brothers is true. 

The theory seems creative and interesting.  Intentwise, I see a more natural opposition between Honor and Odium than between Cultivation and Odium (one can even cultivate hatred), so I've thought of it being the other way around, but I know nothing. 

The Nightwatcher (related to Cultivation) is famous for her boon/curse system, which has certain similarities with the cycle of Desolations/peace. 

Based on intent, I'd say the original conflict should have started between Honor and Odium. Cultivation either acted as a force of balance or (since Wyndle says his mother lost interest in humanity after Tanavast died) she supported Honor initially.

• Chaos locked this topic