Hoid was part of the 17th shard

Zenith

I was thinking about Hoid, and I wondered: why do the 17th shard want Hoid anyway? So, a random idea popped into my head, and it goes like this:

The 17th shard can hop worlds, we all know that; however, they don't want anyone else to be able to or know about the multiple worlds. Hoid was a member of the 17th shard, maybe a pretty high-up one. Hoid took some "sensitive" information or something (broke a rule?) and decided he needed to flee. Hoid escapes and starts doing whatever Hoid does, and the 17th shard starts hunting him.

Feel completely free to demolish the theory; as the topic description states, I don't have much base for this. (We don't have much information regarding Hoid and the 17th shard, anyway.)

Well, if Hoid was once part of the Seventeenth Shard, I'd go along the lines of founder and former leader or something. Perhaps he taught the others to Worldhop. He's probably the oldest living character we've met. (not counting the original Shardholders, who are probably a similar age)

I'll agree with that; it was my first thought, but I thought it was a little far-fetched. I guess you never know with Brandon, especially considering that there's something odd/shocking coming up in WoK 2 ( Likely not dealing with this issue in particular). I also think him teaching the others to worldhop may not be too far off from the truth.

In the letter Hoid refers to this as "Your friends", which could possibly indicate either amusement (likely) or a possible grudge against them. He seems to view the group as incompetent, and brushes them off an a mere annoyance. Doesn't sound like somebody who'd been a member for very long, if at all.

The letter theory is good, but I don't think we know if Brandon confirmed who wrote it yet. If it is, then you're likely right. Either way, as Voidus said, Hoid was probably the original worldhopper, at least in the Cosmere as we know it now.

• Chaos locked this topic