This was just a random thought I had in response to something elsewhere on the forums but what if Dawnslight is Calamity's sick younger brother and Regalia has been holding him hostage? It would make sense of why Calamity is willing to help her so much, giving new powers to people, upgrading existing powers, etc.

Hmm. By posting on this topic I agree to relinquish my soul to the Dark Alley. Seems legit. :P

I definitely like this theory. My kneejerk reaction is that it seems like Calamity should be powerful enough to easily overwhelm Regalia and to rescue his brother, but we know so little about Calamity that he could be an anthropomorphic winged meerkat and we'd be none the wiser.

I don't know if the Bandersnatch will pull the sibling card, but I bet there will be at least one major twist about Calamity's true nature.

Hmm. By posting on this topic I agree to relinquish my soul to the Dark Alley Seems legit. :P

I definitely like this theory. My kneejerk reaction is that it seems like Calamity should be powerful enough to easily overwhelm Regalia and to rescue his brother, but we know so little about Calamity that he could be an anthropomorphic winged meerkat and we'd be none the wiser.

I don't know if the Bandersnatch will pull the sibling card, but I bet there will be at least one major twist about Calamity's true nature.

First off thankyou for that compliment of the DA's legitness which is definitely what you said of your own free will.  :ph34r: 

Well my only thoughts are that the only thing we've actually seen Calamity do is create new Epics and glow pretty colours and have wings, he hasn't actually done anything supernatural himself that we know of. For a whole year he didn't even do anything, just kind of floated there. What if someone then found Dawnslight and thought of the possibility of a connection and asked to be made into an Epic?

My first thought was also that Calamity should have been powerful enough to fight off Regalia, but then I wondered: what if his only power is granting powers to others? When it comes to fighting a woman who can flood a city on a whim, he wouldn't stand much of a chance.

Additionally, if Calamity is an Epic subject to the same rules as every other Epic, this could mean the explosion of Epics a year or two after his rise was due to his Rending, while the low numbers of new Epics in the years following can be traced to his need to use his powers. If he's trying to control his Epic-like tendencies by avoiding power use, he would be compelled to use them every so often to keep from going insane; therefore, he could be trying to keep collateral damage to a minimum by choosing relatively few fear-filled individuals each year.

Also, the numbers from Newcago may not be reflective of the rest of the FSA or even the world. What if he chooses one from Newcago "every four or five years," and does the same with heavily oppressed cities like Babilar because he knows they will simply be sucked into the infrastructure that spawned them; but chooses more from chaotic areas in hopes they will change said areas somehow? Perhaps Calamity is like Megan in the first book: He sees Epic dictators as terrible, "but the sort of terrible people can live with."

Calamity can (somehow) communicate with people, knows Regalia's location and probably weakness, plus he can pay Epics with a power increase. Chances are Calamity can get rid of anyone he wants to get rid off. Furthermore, from what little we got it didn't seem like Regalia had the upper hand in their relationship.

Calamity can (somehow) communicate with people, knows Regalia's location and probably weakness, plus he can pay Epics with a power increase. Chances are Calamity can get rid of anyone he wants to get rid off. Furthermore, from what little we got it didn't seem like Regalia had the upper hand in their relationship.

She does say that the "poetry" of David becoming the thing he hates is what she thinks finally "convinced" Calamity to "grant her request." You're right—that doesn't sound like the statement of someone who has the upper hand and knows it. And it also makes Calamity sound rather malevolent. 

(And rereading that scene reminded me of just how intense it was. So intense, in fact, that I completely forgot about one of the best metaphors in the book. "I'm a washing machine at a gun show." Not only is that a proper metaphor, but it's almost as good as the potato in a minefield—and it just gets funnier the more you try to picture it.) 

Also, later on she says that Calamity has been refusing to explain why it didn't work. It seems pretty clear he helps Regalia out however he feels like and gets enigmatic on her at will.

So he's like Dumbledore as an Epic. "I'll help you out with this thing, Harry....but you don't really have to know about this life-changing prophecy until you're 15. Also, I'm going to leave you with your abusive relatives so you'll have strong character. I know what I'm doing. I look like Santa."

Uh...sorry. Continue. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably just making stuff up, but what if Calamity IS Dawnslight? 

We saw that Regalia could project her avatar where ever she wanted, as long as there was water.

Therefore, Calamity doesn't HAVE to be out in space, either.  He could be anywhere and just be projecting his avatar there.

Maybe he's Dawnslight's "bad dreams" whereas the funky plants are the good ones.  (Dawnslight does tell David to "Dream Good Dreams"...)  :D

Edited by AhMayzon

I'm probably just making stuff up, but what if Calamity IS Dawnslight?

We saw that Regalia could project her avatar where ever she wanted, as long as there was water.

Therefore, Calamity doesn't HAVE to be out in space, either. He could be anywhere and just be projecting his avatar there.

Maybe he's Dawnslight's "bad dreams" whereas the funky plants are the good ones. (Dawnslight does tell David to "Dream Good Dreams"...) :D

I don't know. From the little we get, Calamity and Dawnslight seem too distinct from one another to be the same person. Dawnslight comes across as a definitively post-fear Epic, whereas Calamity acts like one still driven by fear or something even more sinister. Also, if Calamity is working with Regalia, and their relationship is such that Regalia has to "convince" him to agree to her requests, and he is in such a position that he can withhold information from her, why would he allow her to kidnap Dawnslight and hold him hostage? If Calamity has the upper hand in that relationship, why would he let Regalia hold his "other self" captive?

I don't know. From the little we get, Calamity and Dawnslight seem too distinct from one another to be the same person. Dawnslight comes across as a definitively post-fear Epic, whereas Calamity acts like one still driven by fear or something even more sinister. Also, if Calamity is working with Regalia, and their relationship is such that Regalia has to "convince" him to agree to her requests, and he is in such a position that he can withhold information from her, why would he allow her to kidnap Dawnslight and hold him hostage? If Calamity has the upper hand in that relationship, why would he let Regalia hold his "other self" captive?

Maybe Regalia wasn't holding Dawnslight hostage, but actually protecting his sickly physical self (in exchange for power?)  Heck, maybe Dawnslight is Regalia's kid and that's why she wanted a successor to rule Babilar.

Probably a stretch and they do seem distinct, and we've not been given much so far. 

Maybe Regalia wasn't holding Dawnslight hostage, but actually protecting his sickly physical self (in exchange for power?) Heck, maybe Dawnslight is Regalia's kid and that's why she wanted a successor to rule Babilar.

Probably a stretch and they do seem distinct, and we've not been given much so far.

Dawnslight would have to be disassociating from his other personality (Calamity) in a pretty major way. Didn't he send David fortune cookies pleading for help because Regalia had kidnapped him?

Yeah, the first time the cookie thing happens they say "help me" and "shes holding me prisoner" or something. Seems like, given the respective natures of the regalia-dawnslight relationship and the regalia-calamity relationship, the two Epics don't seem to have much of a familial or loving connection. Maybe they are connected in some other way, but behaviour seems to disqualify a brother/brother or avatar/true form relationship.

Edited by Blackhoof

Dawnslight seems to be much more powerful and any epic we have seen yet, he literally alters reality, making paint glow for no reason, but only in a certain location. a location, I might add, that he does not reside within. he makes plants grow with no soil. can make anything grow on the plants. make radios work with no electricity. and most impressive of all seems omnipresent anywhere where he has altered things.

Here is my current theory,

Dawnslight made Calamity!!!

I think someone was experimenting on Dawnslight and gave him the power to alter reality, but he doesn't often do it consciously, but rather subconsciously. Since he was a young man when he went into his coma, his subconscious is immature, and alters reality to be like his favorite images from his child hood (movies and things he liked.)

One of the things young people often dream of is super hero's, but what kind of people would a scared child give powers to? I would say that young children think people who are afraid need powers. so Dawnslight created Calamity, and Calamity gives powers to people with fears, because that's who Dawnslight thinks needs powers.

another random thing, when calamity first appeared there was screaming, we don't yet know why, but if that was the moment Dawnslight got his powers he could have altered something else that caused the screaming.

I did go back through Firefight to find what the cookies said.  We have:

First set:

"Help Me"

"She has me captive"

Second set, when they involved an actual conversation:

"Is this a dream?"

"Gnarly.  I get confused sometimes".

"They call me Dawnslight.  You're trying to stop her, right?"

"Don't know dude, I can't see her.  I watched that other one, though.  On the operating table."

"Sure. Yeah.  They cut something outta him.  You're sure this isn't a dream?"

"I like dreams."

"Listen to that music."  (After which there was no further answer)

Third set:

"Missouri, hide.  Hide now".

"Dream good dreams, Steelslayer".

Seems that Dawnslight has moments of lucidity mixed with non-responsiveness (is he doing something else besides focusing on the plants then, or just plain out of it?).  His lingo also makes him sound like he's straight out of the 60's.  That might go well with the psychedelic colors on everything!!

So now my question is:  Why / how could Dawnslight watch the surgery on Obliteration, when he couldn't see Regalia (whose hospital bed was in the same room with him???) 

I thought of that too...but that would be a pretty weird operating room to have plants in it.  (Maybe the walls were spraypainted instead?)

Dawnslight also never mentions Regalia by name - it's always "she" or "her", though he does mention others by name.  Not sure if that means anything.

The "Dawnslight made Calamity" is a very interesting theory.  It seems that they both "happened" at about the same time.

Early on in the book, Mizzy comments that the glowing spraypaint started immediately after Calamity, and the plants started growing then too.  She says that they grew in the streets then.  So Dawnslight became an Epic in Babilar very early.

• Chaos locked this topic