I think Utah makes sense, or at least somewhere close enough for traveling to be reasonably easy. A large percentage of the fandom live in Utah, so it'll be easier to get something going closer to home. Not to mention that's where Brandon lives. 

Edited by Lindel

I think Utah makes sense, or at least somewhere close enough for traveling to be reasonably easy. A large percentage of the fandom live in Utah, so it'll be easier to get something going closer to home. Not to mention that's where Brandon lives. 

I agree. Regardless of where it's held, everyone who doesn't live nearby is going to have to spend a lot to get there if they want to come. To reduce that cost to the fans, it makes the most sense to hold it where there is the highest concentration of fans. That's Utah. While that's unfortunate for those outside of Utah (or the western US), it'll get a better turnout in Utah than it would elsewhere. And isn't a good turnout what we want?

That said, given enough notice, I could get to anywhere in the continental US. Possibly international too, depending on where, but that would require even more notice.

Utah already has one, SLCcon.    I think brandon went there recently, so if this is going to happen it would need to be outside of Utah since it would be the same people that go to SLC con and most people wouldn't do both.

On the contrary, Utah is the nerdiest state in the US, and Brandon fans are nerdier than most. So most people would do both. Or--more likely--they'd skip SLCC and just go to ShardCon. That's what I would do. I went to SLCC's September event the last two years, and I will never give another penny of my money to them again because there's a gross imbalance between the two events they host and I can't afford both. A ShardCon, however, would be significantly cheaper, less crowded, more personable, and easier to get access to Brandon, whether by signing or through panels.

Well, if some of those "large percentage of fandom" would put it together, people would probably go to Utah for it. If the work gets done by fans in some other area, they'll choose where it will be - and it will be where they are. So if karaokeang & a bunch of the Seattle/Portland crew do the work, you can bet the location won't be Utah!

Well, if some of those "large percentage of fandom" would put it together, people would probably go to Utah for it. If the work gets done by fans in some other area, they'll choose where it will be - and it will be where they are. So if karaokeang & a bunch of the Seattle/Portland crew do the work, you can bet the location won't be Utah!

I'm betting that it going to be Utah, since that's were Josh and Mi'ch live and they already have plans in the works (so they'd most likely be heading any ShardCons that happen, at least ones that are hosted by this site).

I'm betting that it going to be Utah, since that's were Josh and Mi'ch live and they already have plans in the works (so they'd most likely be heading any ShardCons that happen, at least ones that are hosted by this site).

Josh & Mi'ch have always been my first thought when this subject comes up, but I hadn't heard anything. They're the logical ones to start something, but I know they have . . . um . . . lives? and might not be interested in adding this to the list. Certainly if they put it together, it would be in Utah.

Just saying that people can't stand around saying, "Somebody should do this! Somebody should do this! Oh, and you should totally do it where I live, because then I could go," unless they're willing to step up and be the Somebody who does the work. Unless you're willing to be part of the effort, you don't get to vote on the location. 

Josh & Mi'ch have always been my first thought when this subject comes up, but I hadn't heard anything. They're the logical ones to start something, but I know they have . . . um . . . lives? and might not be interested in adding this to the list. Certainly if they put it together, it would be in Utah.

Just saying that people can't stand around saying, "Somebody should do this! Somebody should do this! Oh, and you should totally do it where I live, because then I could go," unless they're willing to step up and be the Somebody who does the work. Unless you're willing to be part of the effort, you don't get to vote on the location. 

Josh mentions that they have plans in post 7 of this thread.  I hope I will be able to help them out in some way (though I don't know exactly how I could help) but I do think Utah would be the best place for it (no matter how much easier it would be for me if it happened in southern New England...) because that is where Brandon is.

But I do get your point, if people are putting the work in they shouldn't get any say.

I agree with you that whoever does the work gets the say as to where it goes and if they do the workI hope they do well.  I will be the first to admit I am not willing to do the work for this so that is one reason why it wont be happening in NC, along with not a large enough fan base, but I know there is also a large fan base in Seattle/Portland.  I personally wish it would be the Seattle/Portland but I'm not the one that would be doing the work, so that doesn't do much than to say this would be my vote.

I agree with you that whoever does the work gets the say as to where it goes and if they do the workI hope they do well.  I will be the first to admit I am not willing to do the work for this so that is one reason why it wont be happening in NC, along with not a large enough fan base, but I know there is also a large fan base in Seattle/Portland.  I personally wish it would be the Seattle/Portland but I'm not the one that would be doing the work, so that doesn't do much than to say this would be my vote.

Oh, I'd love to have it in the Seattle/Portland area, and I'd certainly be willing to help with the work, but I know perfectly well that I have neither the chops nor the time (or energy!) to be anything like a chief organizer for something of this magnitude. So... I figure I don't have much right to say where it "ought" to be.

Perhaps someone should start an original thread about ShardCon? The OP had absolutely nothing to do with a Con. It was talking about an East Coast specific party, but somehow got turned into a ShardCon discussion.

So I've been thinking it would be really cool to have a big Cosmere-related gathering sometime. I'd love to have a big party to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Elantris, someplace nice, where we of the Seventeenth can meet up, eat some Cosmere-themed dishes, show off our costumes, discuss theories, stage dramatic readings of Cosmere works, etc.

So, is there interest in doing this from people, and if so, where? I personally would love to see this happen on the East Coast somewhere, since I live in Allentown and SLC is not exactly in driving distance for me. But if we had an event like this in somewhere like NYC or Philly, or even further out, in Baltimore or DC or Boston, I would be really excited.

So let's sound off! Would anyone be interested in something like this, and if so, where are you located (and how far would you be willing or able to travel)?

I am willing to help wherever the Con ends up being held.  As part of my previous experience I am using to working with venues/hotels/vendors in other states and everything is done over the internet nowadays anyway.

The reason I suggested Seattle and/or Portland is because they are geeky towns that are also tourist locations.  I think if someone were to fly in for a first time convention (which will probably not be that big), it would help justify the trip if the location has more to offer.  San Fransisco could also be a great location but i have always gotten the impression that it is more expensive to hold it there.  While Salt Lake City is a wonderful city, it doesn't carry the same geeky cachet as these towns do.

Of course, if it is in Utah we could probably get all of Brandon's team there so there is that too.

Moving on - If someone wants to do a Brandon fan meetup in the Seattle area let me know and I can plan it.  I just need ideas!

At this point, I personally like the idea of staging meet-ups for Sharders in different areas, like for East Coasters, maybe do more than one - New England/Central/South or something like that.  They could be more like a day trip in a metropolitan area and incorporate local sightseeing with a Cosmere/Sanderson flare to the schedule or planned activities (that might take some research).

It's not that a ShardCon or SanderCon or whatever you want to call it wouldn't be cool, but I know that if it's on the other side of the country (I'm near Philly), I am never going to be able to come.  I don't get enough vacation days at my job.  Money wouldn't necessarily be the biggest issue for me, it's the travel time it would take in addition to the days of the Con.  

As a side note AndrewStirlingMacDonald: My husband is considering GenCon this year.  We know a bunch of local friends plus some out of state ones that go.  He's not a get out and do things kind of guy, but he does LOVE games.

Coast people suck. No love for Central US :(

Kansas City, right here.  We exist!

I've been wondering when we were going to start SanderCon... Or ShardCon, or CosmereCon, or whatever. Just hoping it can be out west; getting to JordanCon has been prohibitive. The thing is, those who run it get to say where they're going to hold it, so I guess that should be incentive for somebody. :)

Anyone planning on WorldCon this summer?

Not this year, but definitely next year.  I'm pretty excited about it being in KC in 2016.  Not just for the 'squee! it's at home!' factor, but the fact that it's smack in the middle of the US means that it's a good, central location for a lot of folks who can't normally get out to the big coastal cons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...