Theory on the Set's plan

SnakeBlood

Based on the fact that Marsh gave Wax that book we can assume The Set know about Hemalurgy.

Now the Set are a smart group, if they just wanted to make Inquisitors they could have just spiked any misting or ferring and be done with it. So why kidnap those specific women?

Simple, the Set are going to turn those poor women into Inquisitors.

Why you ask? Well it's as Marasi and Wax feared, they will be used for "breeding" but not for an army like they suspected.

The Women will be be used to breed the second Lord Ruler.

Am I missing something here? This doesn't seem like a very obvious logical conclusion to me.

Marsh gave Marasi the book (to give to Wax) specifically because he "wanted him to be informed".  Whether that traces back to the Set or some of the stuff that Bloody Tan was up to (or both) is up for debate.

Personally, my theories about the Set involve them taking a two-pronged approach.  They might be trying to breed a Mistborn AND experimenting with Hemalurgy independently of each other.  If you have a goal in mind, and more than one way to explore achieving it, it makes sense that you'd explore both routes and divide your eggs up amongst different baskets.

Am I missing something here? This doesn't seem like a very obvious logical conclusion to me.

Sorry I didn't explain that vary well. Kaymyth is correct.

Marsh gave Marasi the book (to give to Wax) specifically because he "wanted him to be informed".  Whether that traces back to the Set or some of the stuff that Bloody Tan was up to (or both) is up for debate.

Personally, my theories about the Set involve them taking a two-pronged approach.  They might be trying to breed a Mistborn AND experimenting with Hemalurgy independently of each other.  If you have a goal in mind, and more than one way to explore achieving it, it makes sense that you'd explore both routes and divide your eggs up amongst different baskets.

Given that Bloody Tan has been dead for months and Wax just found out about the Set I think it's obvious who it traces back to.

I like theory on what you think the Set is doing.

I always thought that Marsh was trying to bring Hemalurgy back to the world, independent of the set

I think, of all people, that Marsh would be the last one to want Hemalurgy brought back.  He is sort of the epitome of personal experience with how much it sucks.

Sorry I didn't explain that vary well. Kaymyth is correct.

Given that Bloody Tan has been dead for months and Wax just found out about the Set I think it's obvious who it traces back to.

I like theory on what you think the Set is doing.

I think there's sufficient evidence in how completely bonkers Tan was to suggest that someone's been messing with his head.  So, even with Tan gone, we still have the question of what rolled his marbles all over the floor.

And thanks. :)  I've seen a lot of back-and-forth about which way the Set is going, but it's always seemed to me that they're the kind of powerful group who is going to explore multiple options to get what they want.

I think, of all people, that Marsh would be the last one to want Hemalurgy brought back.  He is sort of the epitome of personal experience with how much it sucks.

I think there's sufficient evidence in how completely bonkers Tan was to suggest that someone's been messing with his head.  So, even with Tan gone, we still have the question of what rolled his marbles all over the floor.

And thanks. :)  I've seen a lot of back-and-forth about which way the Set is going, but it's always seemed to me that they're the kind of powerful group who is going to explore multiple options to get what they want.

You have to remember the context Wax stop investigating Tan after he dead and Marsh only intervened when Wax found out about the Set. Now I'm not saying Tan has nothing to do with Hemalurgy but he is not the reason Marsh got involved.

You have to remember the context Wax stop investigating Tan after he dead and Marsh only intervened when Wax found out about the Set. Now I'm not saying Tan has nothing to do with Hemalurgy but he is not the reason Marsh got involved.

It's a logical conclusion, but not necessarily the case.  The timing *could* just be coincidence.  Or it could be that with Wax actively getting involved with the Set, that was a cue to Marsh that indicated that he'd be open to investigating.

But yeah, I'm not big on the coincidence angle, either.  The Universe (i.e. Brandon) is not that lazy.  I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually find out that the Bloody Tan stuff and the Set stuff is related.

It's a logical conclusion, but not necessarily the case.  The timing *could* just be coincidence.  Or it could be that with Wax actively getting involved with the Set, that was a cue to Marsh that indicated that he'd be open to investigating.

But yeah, I'm not big on the coincidence angle, either.  The Universe (i.e. Brandon) is not that lazy.  I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually find out that the Bloody Tan stuff and the Set stuff is related.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tan worked for the Set.

Edited by SnakeBlood

I think Atium is back in the game.

Didn't they say it would take 300 - 400 years for the pits to return?

I always thought it was fishy how Tan new exactly how to move Lessie infront of a bullet so easily.

I always imagined it was hard enough using Atium to dodge arrows, dodging bullets is more in the Matrix level...Bloody Tan Bloody impressed me.

Bloody Tan is not an atium Misting.

That doesn't necessarily preclude him being an electrum Misting, though.  I've heard some theories about how he might be a Slider, but mostly that gets debunked by the idea that Wax would have recognized a speed bubble.  Electrum, though - that's a real possibility.

That doesn't necessarily preclude him being an electrum Misting, though.  I've heard some theories about how he might be a Slider, but mostly that gets debunked by the idea that Wax would have recognized a speed bubble.  Electrum, though - that's a real possibility.

I agree. Electrum is my favorite option for Bloody Tan, though it's still odd his power was never really remarked upon.

I don't have a lot to contribute except this: I thought the kidnapping of the women was so that they could try to breed a full Mistborn over time.  Every one of them had Spook as their "Allomantic Adam", so to speak.

This is the theory that was put forth in the book.  But Marsh giving them the book on Hemalurgy at the end opens up a lot more questions that this doesn't cover.  Thus all the speculation.

I think Atium is back in the game.

Didn't they say it would take 300 - 400 years for the pits to return?

I always thought it was fishy how Tan new exactly how to move Lessie infront of a bullet so easily.

I always imagined it was hard enough using Atium to dodge arrows, dodging bullets is more in the Matrix level...Bloody Tan Bloody impressed me.

The pits aren´t needed anymore, though. Without having to  draw power from Ruin against his will, Sazed can just do whatever he wants with the power of the Shard. He is doing something with some of the power, to keep his Shards balanced. Probably giving some Atium to Marsh, so he can compound his youth but he doesn´t have to let it flow into the world in a place people like the Set or Tan could just come and mine.

Edited by Edgedancer

The pits aren´t needed anymore, though. Without having to  draw power from Ruin against his will, Sazed can just do whatever he wants with the power of the Shard. He is doing something with some of the power, to keep his Shards balanced. Probably giving some Atium to Marsh, so he can compound his youth but he doesn´t have to let it flow into the world in a place people like the Set or Tan could just come and mine.

Unless the place that it's forming is being guarded by a bunch of Koloss...

• Chaos locked this topic