Feruchemists as the best explorers.

Sirscott13

I have given this a lot of thought and just cannot see what a feruchemist couldn't explore if they had enough traits stored up. 

Space/Bottom of the ocean/highest mountains/deepest caves/most dangerous jungles? No problem. Just let me store some heat, breath, health, food, water, wakefulness, etc.

Imagine what could be discovered in today's world if we had feruchemy. Its awesome!

I a big supporter of Feruchemy over Allomancy as being way more practical for use in the real world.  I am a big outdoors person myself...and one of the most difficult things about going hiking in the back country is how much stuff you have to bring.  Food, water, warm clothes, shelter, navigation tools, climbing equipment, first aid supplies.  This seriously limits how far and fast you can go...because you have to haul around all of this crap...and you can't very well drive a 4x4 truck loaded with supplies down a "leave no trace trail" cutting through the back country of yellowstone.  I would love if I could just :

Spend a couple of days sick and slow and weak and deaf and blind...

Memorize a couple of topographical maps...

hit an all you can eat buffet followed by a long sit in a very hot sauna...

Now...your survival equipment has shrunk from 120lbs of junk in a backpack into a handful of jewelry and a chainmail under shirt.

I would absolutely love this...

That is a great point. You could also climb really well without any gear by storing your weight and scaling a cliff like spider. Not to mention taking breath taking memory snap shots with your copper minds and spend breathtaking nights tapping sight minds for star gazing.

I as you can tell favor feruchemy as well. In fact I would take it over all other cosmere abilities. 

I personally want to go up to NASA and propose a feruchemist as the best astronaut. I would love to be able to take feruchemy and apply it to space. Some ideas for use would be:

Storing breath and tapping it while outside the shuttle (I wonder if tapping breath means you actually tap a reserve of the physical matter because then you could constantly exhale as your own personal jetpack!)

Storing heat and tapping it outside the shuttle to survive the environment with some help of tapping health.

Storing memories of the many and complex systems and checklists required of astronauts. 

Storing senses and getting some cool views of the stars and planet.

Along with these awesome theories I wonder if it would be possible for a feruchemist to survive a re-entry on their own. Hear me out...

Let us say that this person had stored every trait for almost all their life.

They tap enormous amounts of weight to get pulled out of orbit, then they tap health, breath, and wakefulness the whole way down (hopefully tapping wakefulness keeps you from passing out) You also store heat and weight once re-entry has been established. 

Eventually once you survive the re-entry you can then tap heat to keep yourself warm and store constant weight the whole way back down to the ground as terminal velocity will be much slower with weight stored. 

Then right before hitting the ground, while storing weight, you tap tons of strength and survive the impact. 

Just a thought I have been toying with haha

I've wondered about this...but I don't know if it would quite work...but could tapping weight (increasing your density) protect you from rapid decompression in the vacuum of space...likewise...could it keep you from being crushed by atmospheric pressure while deep water diving? If you are using stored breath while diving...do you have to worry about the bends?

Edited by hoidhunter

I've wondered about this...but I don't know if it would quite work...but could tapping weight (increasing your density) protect you from rapid decompression in the vacuum of space...likewise...could it keep you from being crushed by atmospheric pressure while deep water diving? If you are using stored breath while diving...do you have to worry about the bends?

I  believe tapping weight doesn't directly increase your density but creates an increase in your spiritual connection to the ground. Otherwise someone tapping weight could just charge through a stream of arrows and bullets without being hurt. 

Tapping enough strength and health could probably protect you from huge pressure differences though. 

Breath might work it all depends on whether it just oxidizes your blood or fills your lungs with fresh air. 

Tapping weight really only seems to make you heavier with regards to motion and such really, while somehow generating a secondary effect that simply prevents you from being crushed. You're not any denser or more massive, just. . . heavier. Somehow.

In most situations storing it seems a lot more beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

Storing weight doesn't actually increase your spiritual connection to the ground (as remarked upon by Wax in AoL), so you'd need an alternate way to deorbit. Otherwise, though... Reentry may be possible. After all, Miles can survive some crazy things in AoL just by tapping health (which was compounded, but if you have a ridiculous amount of stored health, it's not much different*) and there were accounts in Mistborn of TLR walking out of a burning inn and regrowing his body from what was basically a skeleton. So it may be possible with just health, breath, and wakefulness. Also, you needn't bother with the strength at the end if you adjust your trajectory by moving while falling and gliding in to a nice stop (while mostly weightless). Of course, you also have to consider just how long this process would take while constantly tapping/filling various metalminds to exorbitant degrees. It may not even be possible without being a Fullborn (Mistborn & Feruchemist) and compounding. But yeah. Cool ideas.

*I think.

Instead of being fullborn as only one example exists, what about a full feruchemist with the ability to burn pewter. Store massive amounts of physical traits, while relying on pewter to compensate the loss all your life, then also have the benefit of pewter during a reentry

• Chaos locked this topic