[Spoiller] Squire Army?!?!

Natans

That is a bit of a catch-22.  If you say your looking for stories where the bad guys win then anything someone suggests based on that criteria will kind of give away the ending.  :huh:  

That's why it's so hard to find one! xD I'm joking, of course. To be honest, it is still interesting to read the book if it is good, even if someone spoiled to me, it's just slighly less surprising.  But there is a way around it. I could ask people to recommend me this kind of book, but also other types of books, without telling me which recommended book is which type, so I wouldn't know the endings. :D

The interesting part isn't the ending.  It is how you get there.  :rolleyes:

Of course. Journey before destination.

Edited by Pestis the Spider

Journey before destination.

I really want to see a huge army of stormlight wielding bridgemen. It will be like

(Mistborn: Hero of Ages spoiler)

the atium army of Ellend's

Wait. But do you think that they will just use stormlight for general healing, or in Windrunner-like manner as well? Because if the second one, then that makes them way more awesome than

(Mistborn: Hero of Ages spoiler)

the atium army of Elend's, which was hardly described. There were mostly descriptions of Elends fight, and not enough of army.

If we get an army of Windrunner-like squires I want to see an absolutely epic battle, where it is described how everone "good" fights everyone "bad" with more focus on squires and other people than it was in Hero of Ages. 

Brandon has possibly been foreshadowing that the squires will get more than just stormlight enhanced powers such as healing or speed. When Kaladin is trying out things in the chasms in WoR, Lopen says how he will attract the ladies better if he flies. After the battle at the end of TWoK, the bridgemen are around the campfire and are eagerly asking if they can also learn how to do these things with the stormlight.

So what if the Windrunner squires' strength, is their conviction that they can do what their leader can , and thus have some access (imperfect) to the surges?

War is upon Roshar, and 1000 potential squires against a sea of blood and ashes aren't a big deal, really, we didn't even see the main force of Odium, midnight essence, thunderclasters, all the parshendi forms, and even the voidbringers arts, aren't in play Dalinar and cia have it easy in the first two books.

Let's deal folks third book gonna be a grisly one, until now the main characters are dealing only with 50.000 or so enemies and took ONE ENTIRE nation to just to box this many enemies in a trap at great cost, millions of voidbringers are be hell of more hard to deal. Humanity in Roshar are the underdogs now. Every and all help that they got will be precious needed, so Kaladin given them this little boost will mean very little in the big picture. =)

And remember that we will have a timeskip, 15 or so years, if take this many time to deal with the desolation, I'm not very confident that the first 5 books will end well for the main characters, so the argument or they this is a book everything will be alright don't sit well with me. I foresee that the almost everyone in the main cast will be dead by the end of the first five books, squires and all included =)

All in all the next book have the plot setting to be one of the best one, and I bet that a certain ex-one arm bridge man and his 999 followers will be part of this plot for awesome reason of course =)

Seriously considering changing my username to that...

I came up with it a month ago, (check the cosmere enquirer thread) so if you do I get royalties. I will except money, Hello Kitty Pictures, or nut's, any will do.

Edited by Slater

Brandon has possibly been foreshadowing that the squires will get more than just stormlight enhanced powers such as healing or speed. When Kaladin is trying out things in the chasms in WoR, Lopen says how he will attract the ladies better if he flies. After the battle at the end of TWoK, the bridgemen are around the campfire and are eagerly asking if they can also learn how to do these things with the stormlight.

So what if the Windrunner squires' strength, is their conviction that they can do what their leader can , and thus have some access (imperfect) to the surges?

If they get surges I'd imagine they'd have about as much stormlight efficiency as a Honorblade user. The Lopen ran out so quickly getting his glowing done.

Well, as someone pointed out, it's really hard to figure out how much Stormlight gets lost over time or used for any specific action. Recall that healing uses up Stormlight pretty rapidly, and the Lopen started regrowing an entire limb.

Actually that just now made me realize... It's flat-out stated earlier in the series that Stormlight healing is more rapid than the accelerated healing of a Thug, but far from instantaneous. In the first Prologue, Szeth says that his crushed skull will eventually heal, if he gets enough time and Stormlight. Kal rarely heals from anything major terribly fast.

And another thing. Kal draws in "a fraction of a clip" and it's able to heal superficial wounds across his entire forehead instantly during the tattoos. Yet after the Highstorm, he takes in an entire sphere and it heals him but uses itself up within seconds. Same with Lopen, the light disappears almost instantly from an entire (presumably freshly infused, because it came after the first Highstorm in weeks, so it has to be either freshly infused or totally dun) sphere.

I'm wrestling with various possible ways and scenarios to justify how all these facts could be true. Every model i construct feels strained to me, more like it's a justification constructed after the fact, rather than the facts are illuminating an underlying structure. Maybe I just need more points of data.

War is upon Roshar, and 1000 potential squires against a sea of blood and ashes aren't a big deal, really, we didn't even see the main force of Odium, midnight essence, thunderclasters, all the parshendi forms, and even the voidbringers arts, aren't in play Dalinar and cia have it easy in the first two books.

Let's deal folks third book gonna be a grisly one, until now the main characters are dealing only with 50.000 or so enemies and took ONE ENTIRE nation to just to box this many enemies in a trap at great cost, millions of voidbringers are be hell of more hard to deal. Humanity in Roshar are the underdogs now. Every and all help that they got will be precious needed, so Kaladin given them this little boost will mean very little in the big picture. =)

And remember that we will have a timeskip, 15 or so years, if take this many time to deal with the desolation, I'm not very confident that the first 5 books will end well for the main characters, so the argument or they this is a book everything will be alright don't sit well with me. I foresee that the almost everyone in the main cast will be dead by the end of the first five books, squires and all included =)

All in all the next book have the plot setting to be one of the best one, and I bet that a certain ex-one arm bridge man and his 999 followers will be part of this plot for awesome reason of course =)

Well, that would be surprising. But I like Kaladin, and I don''t want him dead. : (

And to be honest, I don't really see that. For a moment the book really doesn't seem like it's going to kill everyone. But if so, then what? We kill all the characters, at the end of book 5, and then just get a bunch of new ones? Nah, I don't see that. I mean, a lot of main and main-ish characters is pretty young, and I think it it for a reason. I just think we'll see their older versions in the second part of the series. Of course, they probably won't be main characters anymore, maybe they'll be main-ish, but I think they will be there.

Lift, Jasnah,Taln, another herald, and, %#$* (someone that I always forget) are the main focus characters in the second 5 books, so aside them I don't believe that many characters will be alive.

Desolation are supposed to be harsh things(90% of on population at time), and them are just minor desolation without everstorms,  4500 thousands years time gap, no herald to help  and no radiant order ready. Brandon made so much foreshadowing of the apocalypse that I'm waiting for  very  bad things =)  hey but this is me =)

• Chaos locked this topic