Full Feruchemist discrete metalminds?

Cstryon

During The Lord Ruler's age, keepers needed to hide their powers. I understand a lot of the jewellery they wore was just seen as traditional, but I have trouble believing the steel ministry would overlook a Terrisman wearing so many metals.

So I've been wondering, assuming they are wearing, or have on them, a metalmind of every kind, how can we make it so they don't stand out wearing all that metal. Earings, bracelets, armbands, anklets, necklaces, these might all be fairly obvious, and having so many might look either gaudy, or suspicious.

It's been a while since I read the first Trilogy, so I don't remember if it was explained. If you were a Feruchemist, how would you wear all your metalminds, while also, not making yourself stand out?

Keep in mind, you need to have enough of any given metal to hold enough of a charge to be useful at any given moment. And also, there was a few times that Sazed just happened to conveniently be able to tap attributes he'd stored, which means what ever he was wearing most of the time didn't look out of place or suspicious. So it must be possible, and easy, for many keepers living among the rest of the world.

Two words: Metal underwear.

In all seriousness, I'd probably wear a lot of metal bands woven together in a bracelet, and maybe a necklace or two, plus earrings. For copperminds and things that I don't use often, I'd have a coin or something in my pocket. If I didn't have pockets, then bracelets or something that wouldn't look valuable to a thief, like a cup.

A lot of metalminds have little chains connecting them so that a Feruchemists can just attach them like a watch or other piece of jewelry. I imagine that most Feruchemists just clip them to their legs to hide them. Even an inquisitor would probably feel a little awkward walking up to someone and demanding that they drop their pants just so it could be confirmed that said person isn't a Feruchemist.

Ah! I hadn't thought of coins! Carrying a pocket or pouch or purse of coins made of various metals for metalminds! You risk being mugged, but it really is less conspicuous, considering during the final empire being mugged is much better than being discovered as a keeper.

Going along with that Lord Piff, that woven bracelet sounds like a great idea. I think I'd do it like this: Tin (for any given sense), gold, zinc, tin, pewter, tin, steel. So this way I have three senses, and some practical stores. The other arm could be exactly the same, with the extra tin holding an extra store of sight. This way I have all my senses, plus extra sight, and some quick emergency stores for pretty much any real life situation.

And then maybe a coin pouch? A couple earrings? A couple necklaces with a charm or decoration of a different metal?

Some kind of band around the thigh that wouldn't cause any inconvenience would be nice.

Perhaps after I've had some sleep, I'll do some research, and creative design, and come up with a keepers perfectly acceptable wear, that doesn't make the keeper too obvious... Starting with woven bracelets..

Edited by Cstryon

Metal fillings in teeth could be a good metalmind, though considering the technology for Mistborn a full on metal tooth may be more believable.

Maybe metal insoles on your shoes, or metal-lined gloves? If I was a steward, I might turn the doorknob into a metalmind, though the actual thing being stored would be variable. 

I seem to recall that pretty much all Terrismen, not just keepers, wore a lot of metal/jewellery, meaning discretion wouldn't be quite as necessary.  That said, for discreet metalminds, coins and other metal kept in the coin purse with them, as mentioned above, would work pretty well for anything you don't need to wear constantly, as long as you aren't too worried about losing them (imagine losing your copperminds to a rogue lurcher/coinshot).  That said you would probably want at least one sight and one hearing tinmind, a steelmind, a pewtermind and a goldmind on your person in case of emergency, maybe an ironmind as well if you could swing it.  earrings would work so long as you don't need to store up too much of those attributes, but for my money, bracers around the upper thighs, piercing the skin so they can resist allomancy, is probably the best way to go.  they can be fairly large, allowing you to store a lot of the relevant attribute, they'd be difficult for your average allomancer to detect/affect, and in Terris robes, they would be hidden from view.  The coin purse ones, then would be less used but still handy metalminds, like copper or zinc, or maybe tinminds for lesser senses like touch or smell, which you probbly wouldn't use too often, plus maybe some spares of the other metals for good measure.

Edited by Dunkum

Metal (any kind really) form fitted thin skull cap with a wig over top...

Prince albert...not my style really...but for super powers?...maybe...

Really fine thin chainmail shirt made of rings of all feruchemal metals you want to use, worn under your clothing...

copy Sazed's move and swallow a few bits each morning (recovery would be unpleasant)...but, all in the name of superpowers...

On that note...unpleasant but I'm sure we're all thinking it...endorectal?...might actually be less uncomfortable than passing metal after swallowing it...

It's a little emo...but...cut open a flap of skin somewhere, put a little bit of steel and pewter in there...then stitch it back up...just leave it there...

byt the way...Lord Piff's idea about metal teeth is gold...up vote...

Well...I was under the impression that in order for it to be hemelurgy (ie ruin's influence over you) it had to be done with a hemelurgical spike.  Meaning...one that had been driven through someone's body, removing a piece of their soul,  killing them, and attaching that snack size soul bit to yours.  Not just any piece of metal that pierces your body....?

I saw something somewhere that said Miles "Hundred-lives" Dagouter put gold filaments in his arms.

This, I like this! It seems so simple! Although, without being able to heal, if you don't sterilize your metals, your going to have a bad time.

This, I like this! It seems so simple! Although, without being able to heal, if you don't sterilize your metals, your going to have a bad time.

Tin and steel maybe, but not a good idea to have filaments of pewter (which contains lead) in your body unless you want to be tapping gold just all the time.  For that matter, gold filaments would also presumably give you heavy metal poisoning, unless you were just constantly compounding health to prevent it.  Copper too, maybe.

If I were a feruchemist...or an allomancer...I would always have metal that pierced my skin...right?

safest way to do it if you may be up against coinshots/lurchers, but if you're a feruchemist and not burning the metals, then having certain toxic metals pierce your skin would be problematic (TLR gets around this by constantly compounding gold).

safest way to do it if you may be up against coinshots/lurchers, but if you're a feruchemist and not burning the metals, then having certain toxic metals pierce your skin would be problematic (TLR gets around this by constantly compounding gold).

This is true for Humans. But I can't help but think of another question, that might merit another theory thread. I'll keep it to the metallic arts for this thread though. Considering the toxic nature of several of the metals, wouldn't having the sDNA to use any given metal make you immune to the damage that could be caused? Obviously the people on Scadrial have the sDNA to give them the possibility to become an allomancer or feruchemist. Just like how I should have had brown hair but ended up with a sandy blonde head of hair and a very red beard. Perhaps their sDNA would make, at least the ones with the abilities, immune to metal poisoning?

So a coinshot might get lead poisoning if they consume pewter, but a thug wouldn't because they are made to burn it. Wouldn't a full feruchemist be (wired?) so that these poisonous metals would actual be natural to their bodies?

I don't think it works that way.  remember, early on Kelsier advises Vin to burn her metals before going to sleep, because some of them are potentially harmful if you let them stay in your system.   Granted, he could have been wrong, but I think thats unlikely.  and if a mistborn could still potentially become ill from consuming pewter, then I doubt a ferruchemist would fare any better.  I think Hemalurgy gets around this by directly altering the body (like how the eye spikes don't kill inquisitors), but I would say it is still possible that all the inquisitors were slowly suffering lead poisoning.  sounds like somethign Ruin would be OK with.

Note: Per WoB, the LR's bracers, which pierced his skin, acted like spikes. Now, I am unsure if this means that any metal piercing someone's skin turns into a spike or what. I'm guessing that hemalurgy isn't restricted to 'spike-shaped' things.

He could've made a big Atium spike at some point, spiked someone with it, reforged it into bracers, then cut them into himself and healed around it.

Once an object is invested, with pieces of someone's soul no less, surely melting the thing won't completely get rid of the stuff?

Though what actually happens when a spike passes through multiple bind points anyway?

Note: Per WoB, the LR's bracers, which pierced his skin, acted like spikes. Now, I am unsure if this means that any metal piercing someone's skin turns into a spike or what. I'm guessing that hemalurgy isn't restricted to 'spike-shaped' things.

I think I got it.

Atium is part of Ruin's own "body", right?  So maybe that's the one metal that doesn't need a specific hemalurgical charge in order to act like a spike.  It's PART of Ruin, and therefore creates an auto-link.

• Chaos locked this topic