What would happen if Ruin and Preservation had been Splintered?

Witty Username

I may have missed it in the above suggestions, but it might make sense for the mists themselves to gain sentience and become a stormfather like megasplinter.  Or at least for somthign like the mist spirit to have that role.  in fact, I think Brandon has specifically compared teh highstorms to the mists, so that is a pretty good guide for some of what you are looking at.  though that would make a mistwraith-like ruin splinter a bit implausible maybe: wouldn't the mists repel/be repelled by them?

beyond that, I would say that having the splintering take place as your party gets to the well of ascension (unless I am misreading what you are suggesting) is probably a good idea.  TLR being less influenced by Ruin over the years would have had wide ranging repurcussions on his actions and the history of the world, so probably not messing with that is for the best.

Update on proceedings so far in the campaign are now in my signature, so look over there for concrete stuff on the game.

As to the Splintering - anyone under the influence of Ruin pre-Splintering (most importantly TLR) has a Splinter of Ruin in them, in the form of his whispers. Until the Well of Ascension stuff happens, there's not going to be any physical Splinters - only what was already present (the mists and the mist spirit being most prominent). Having a hemalurgic spike allows for a Splinter of Ruin similar to the one that speaks to TLR to enter you, but does not necessarily imply it already has.

Any mega-Splinters like the Stormfather running around? 

Leras's Mist Ghost is already active and that is supposed to be the same sort of Cognitive Shadow as the Stormfather.

Which suggests that we might get talking mist spirits as the end result of the shards of preservation.

In my mind, Odium's already been before going to Roshar - I'm thinking a similar situation to Sel, were Odium came, he saw, he Splintered.

The timing doesn't fit for that. Odium's been trapped in Roshar's star system for millennia.

The timing doesn't fit for that. Odium's been trapped in Roshar's star system for millennia.

That's the beauty of an AU - canon is a guide, not absolute. The situation on Roshar would be drastically different sure, and that would be a very interesting thing to explore, but this takes place on Scadrial, not Roshar. Since there's no mechanics for the magic systems of other Shardworlds and I feel no need to make some, we can largely disregard the consequences off of Scardial.

• Chaos locked this topic