Shardic Color Theory

Thought

I am aware of that. The idea of the post was to reply to some speculation that Red and Gold might represent two new shards, which I was countering.

Ah, well, my guess is either it represents new shards or no shards at all. I'd lean heavily toward the second one. But yes, culturally, Ruin and Preservation could have been associated with different colors.

Depends on what one calls distinct. We have black and white. If there is merit here, then I'd expect red, blue, green, and yellow. Probably from there grey, orange, violet/purple (the latter of which is a non-spectral color, which is cool), brown, silver, gold, cyan, and magenta. Add in pink and puce (for Odium), and we're good to go with fairly common and easily recognizable colors. These aren't all prime colors, pigments, or even all spectral colors, but people tend to consider them distinct.

Actually, given the sensitive we see to color in Warbreaker, this is fair. Not pure shades, maybe, but there is a lot of room from the point of human perception.

As I was reading this I couldn't help but think Red was Odium's Color. And gold Honor's Color. The Desolation may take place on Scadrial.

I was thinking maybe all foci can be attributed to a Shard the way colors and numbers are. Certain Aons may represent specific Shards.

Edited by Shivertongue
Please don't double-post. Use the edit function in the future!. - Shiv

As I was reading this I couldn't help but think Red was Odium's Color. And gold Honor's Color. The Desolation may take place on Scadrial.

I was thinking maybe all foci can be attributed to a Shard the way colors and numbers are. Certain Aons may represent specific Shards.

Interesting thought. I just looked through the Elantris glossary, and there are Aons specifically defined as meaning Honor (Mai) and Endowment (Eshe), and two that kinda fit Preservation (Dao - stability/security, and Edo - protection/safety).

Edited by Quantum Toast

I was thinking about a Brandon quote I can't find (when i can i'll add it). The quote sort of explained if Ruin would give off an Allomatic Pulse and why. Basically Brandon answered: yes Ruin will give an Allomatic Pulse because Allomatic Pulses are like sound waves made on the Fabric of the Universe when the Power of creation is being used. Preservation and Ruin have unique rhythms and I wonder if other Shards have their own sound. If so each Shard would have their own Pitch and Hue like in Warbreaker.

Another thought I had was maybe a Shard's Allomatic Rhythm could correspond to an Allomatic Metal's Allomatic Pulse.

Interesting thought. I just looked through the Elantris glossary, and there are Aons specifically defined as meaning Honor (Mai) and Endowment (Eshe), and two that kinda fit Preservation (Dao - stability/security, and Edo - protection/safety).

By Occam's Razor, that probably is just because any language will have those concepts.

I was thinking about a Brandon quote I can't find (when i can i'll add it). The quote sort of explained if Ruin would give off an Allomatic Pulse and why. Basically Brandon answered: yes Ruin will give an Allomatic Pulse because Allomatic Pulses are like sound waves made on the Fabric of the Universe when the Power of creation is being used. Preservation and Ruin have unique rhythms and I wonder if other Shards have their own sound. If so each Shard would have their own Pitch and Hue like in Warbreaker.

Another thought I had was maybe a Shard's Allomatic Rhythm could correspond to an Allomatic Metal's Allomatic Pulse.

I'd generally expect Bronze to be able to pick up pulses from any magical source. I think Sanderson had indicated that it could be used to detect Feruchemy, for example. Although, it is unlikely that a Shard's allomantic pulse would correspond to a non-God Metal. After all, while Vin clearly detects Ruin's pulse when he manifests, she doesn't note that it is similar to any other metal (indeed, if anything, it should have made her think of Atium).

I'd generally expect Bronze to be able to pick up pulses from any magical source. I think Sanderson had indicated that it could be used to detect Feruchemy, for example. Although, it is unlikely that a Shard's allomantic pulse would correspond to a non-God Metal. After all, while Vin clearly detects Ruin's pulse when he manifests, she doesn't note that it is similar to any other metal (indeed, if anything, it should have made her think of Atium).

Actually, I think she said that it was muddled-it didn't feel like any of the metals. Probably because the things Ruin was using the power for spanned a much larger range than the specific powers granted by each metal.

Edited by happyman

• 5 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic