The Great Reread - The Path of Daggers

Shivertongue

THIS THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Discussion thread for the Great Reread, pertaining to book 8, The Path of Daggers. This is book number eight, which means you have come a long way. If you decided to read this one first... well, I am ashamed of you. Everyone else went in the right order, but no, you just HAD to be different, didn't you? :P

For information and to join The Great Reread, please go here.

This book is one of the hated middle books, wherein the plot progression slows to a crawl. As such, I was dreading it a little going in. Pleasantly, however, I am enjoying it more than I did in my last reread, and that is entirely due to the content of books 11, 12, and 13, which I had not read prior to my last read-through. Interestingly, knowing where all these endless plotlines are headed and how they will resolve makes reading the midst of them more interesting. You can see the dominoes being set up more clearly after you've seen them fall.

However, there is one exception to this, and that is Morgase's plotline. I have skipped all of her chapters in prior books because I just didn't care. However, now her stuff is all intermingled with that of characters I actually do care about, and it's much harder to skip.

Another thing I wish I could skip is all the Sea Folk stuff. It's just a lot of drama to no apparent end, and I find it tedious.

Reading this book, I am more and more impressed by Min. How she can stay so hopeful and happy while the man she loves goes insane before her eyes I cannot say. How she can be so hopeful when she's had a viewing that Rand will almost certainly fail without the help of Moraine, who she thinks is dead and gone, I cannot say. I am very much looking forward to Rand and Min's reunion with Moiraine.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through. I may or may not post more when I'm finished. :)

• 1 month later...

I took a very long break away from reading this book because of events, but I've now begun again. I'm on the last of the trio of chapters describing Rand's disastrous and ultimately pointless anti-Seanchan campaign. And I'm finding them slightly dull. First of all, I can't keep track of all these goat-kissing nobles that now surround Rand everywhere he goes, and I don't see why Jordan felt the need to give us a whole chapter of Rand's thoughts on them.

Second, this isn't like your typical war narrative. Rand is now a general, so what you get are scenes about planning, and then scenes about aftermath, skipping over the action in between. I do appreciate the effect this creates (war is dismal, horrible, and often dull), but I'm struggling to push through it all the same.

I took a very long break away from reading this book because of events, but I've now begun again. I'm on the last of the trio of chapters describing Rand's disastrous and ultimately pointless anti-Seanchan campaign. And I'm finding them slightly dull. First of all, I can't keep track of all these goat-kissing nobles that now surround Rand everywhere he goes, and I don't see why Jordan felt the need to give us a whole chapter of Rand's thoughts on them.

Second, this isn't like your typical war narrative. Rand is now a general, so what you get are scenes about planning, and then scenes about aftermath, skipping over the action in between. I do appreciate the effect this creates (war is dismal, horrible, and often dull), but I'm struggling to push through it all the same.

Yeah, the beginning of Path of Daggers is probably my least-favourite point in the entire series. I think it's because it's where we get to see the beginnings of Rand's descent into darkness, among other things, but the presentation is a bit... underwhelming. I've often wondered if that was intentional, that Jordan was trying to portray war as realistically as he could, as he remembered it from Vietnam.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished PoD probably a week ago or so, I was on a long trip and had a chance to finish up a couple. Only problem is, I can't recall specifically what happened in this book. It took your posts about the anti-Seanchan war to remind about that at all. I too am a bit underwhelmed about what he actually accomplished there. Also, if the "secret Aes Sedai" weapon (aka the exploding gate) came in this book, the fact that they are still talking about it into book 10 just bothers me.

However, even though I can't remember specifics, I did enjoy it as part of the overall story more so than my first read through.

I just finished this book. And I've gotta say, despite what I said earlier about enjoying this book more than I expected to, that final third was tough to push through. I got quite annoyed with the pacing by the end. As soon as one plotline got moving and something interesting happened, Jordan would switch to another. This here is Middle Book country, and I've got another 600k words to push through before the pace picks up again.

The last chapter of any length in this book is called "Beginnings," and true to its name, several things begin therein. That's not so frustrating now that I can immediately begin Winter's Heart, but back on my first readthrough (and I read this book as soon as it came out) it really ticked me off.

There are just too many irons in the fire at this stage of the game. I hope every writer learns from this mire that Jordan got stuck in on these middle books, as Brandon seems to have done with his Stormlight Archive series.