Do Honorblades consume Innate Investiture?

TheOneKEA

I was thinking about the connections between Warbreaker and The Stormlight Archive and I stumbled on an interesting fact.

We have WoB that Nightblood will kill its wielder by consuming the wielder's Innate Investiture, which can include the wielder's Spiritual aspect (in whole or in part). We also have textev that Honorblades consume dangerous amounts of Stormlight. This suggests to me that if an Honorblade is wielded in the same way that Nightblood can be, it will eventually kill its wielder.

Does anyone think this is plausible?

I don't think it is, simply because we also have WoB stating that an Honorblade gave Surgebinders enhanced (if the same) or additional Surges.  Plus, in all the time Szeth used it, which could very well have been years, there wasn't any indication given that it was a danger to him.  Syl may call an Honorblade 'dangerous', but I think that references to the fact that it bestows powers unconditionally upon the holder/binder of it.

(This, of course, begs the question of why Dalinar got sick 'bonding' the Shardblade the man claiming to be Taln had.  So far as I know, that's a unique happening, unless he lied about illness and was just keeping out of sight so he didn't have to carry the thing around as was implied when Renarin bonded the one he received from Adolin.)

Edited by dvoraen

I think it consumes regular Investiture like Nightblood, but doesn't have a "pull" strong enough to suck out your innate Investiture.

It's possible, though. Szeth constantly taking in Stormlight might heal him of any damage the sword did to his soul.

I don't think it is, simply because we also have WoB stating that an Honorblade gave Surgebinders enhanced (if the same) or additional Surges.  Plus, in all the time Szeth used it, which could very well have been years, there wasn't any indication given that it was a danger to him.  Syl may call an Honorblade 'dangerous', but I think that references to the fact that it bestows powers unconditionally upon the holder/binder of it.

(This, of course, begs the question of why Dalinar got sick 'bonding' the Shardblade the man claiming to be Taln had.  So far as I know, that's a unique happening, unless he lied about illness and was just keeping out of sight so he didn't have to carry the thing around as was implied when Renarin bonded the one he received from Adolin.)

Dalinar did not receive an Honorblade. The Blade he got has a different description than the one Taln had at the end of WoK, even though it was supposed to have come from Taln.

See this thread for more info.

That's reasonable. The only reason why I even thought about this was because of Nalan's in-universe characterization of Nightblood as a Shardblade and the WoB describing Nightblood as a very powerful Blade. Since the Honorblades are also supposed to be very powerful, the similarities stood out to me.

Someone going to the Orem signing tomorrow should ask Brandon if Honorblades are dangerous in ways other than what Syl described to Kaladin. A question like the thread title will probably get insta-RAFO'd.

I think it consumes regular Investiture like Nightblood, but doesn't have a "pull" strong enough to suck out your innate Investiture.

It's possible, though. Szeth constantly taking in Stormlight might heal him of any damage the sword did to his soul.

Dalinar did not receive an Honorblade. The Blade he got has a different description than the one Taln had at the end of WoK, even though it was supposed to have come from Taln.

See this thread for more info.

I never claimed that he did receive an Honorblade, I just wasn't clear about that when I digressed.

The thing I find most interesting, with respect to Dalinar anyway, is that he got the impression something was wrong with it even before he swore the First Ideal.  I'm wondering if that's because he was chosen as the (second?) vessel for Honor's visions/'Epilogue'.

Edited by dvoraen

Dalinar also thinks to himself as he Invests that it feels familiar, like something he's done before. I've heard it speculated that he was starting to become a bit of a Surgebinder even before that moment, so this could explain why something about the Blade bothered him.

It could also simply be what he mentioned in the book. I have to imagine it's a rare enough occurrence for someone to Bond two different Shardblades over the course of their life. Recall that they actually do attach themselves to your soul. Two different normal Shardblades might simply bond in weird ways, and with stunted Spiritual senses, Dalinar might only have been able to sense that something felt "different" or uncomfortable, like wearing a different style of shoe before you adapt.

Dalinar also thinks to himself as he Invests that it feels familiar, like something he's done before. I've heard it speculated that he was starting to become a bit of a Surgebinder even before that moment, so this could explain why something about the Blade bothered him.

See the conversation he has over the amount of scar tissue he has with the surgeon when he's getting his shoulder seen to in WoK.

It could also simply be what he mentioned in the book. I have to imagine it's a rare enough occurrence for someone to Bond two different Shardblades over the course of their life. Recall that they actually do attach themselves to your soul. Two different normal Shardblades might simply bond in weird ways, and with stunted Spiritual senses, Dalinar might only have been able to sense that something felt "different" or uncomfortable, like wearing a different style of shoe before you adapt.

Given that shardblades and shardplate are contested over in duels, I think it would be rather probable for one person to bond two blades (assuming it's possible). In recent Rosharan times, though, if I recall correctly, a remark by Adolin noted no one had bet their shard-equipment for some time at the Shattered Plains prior to the series of challenges Adolin makes during WoR. So I don't see it currently being probable in the story, but it could have been quite common for rulers, or rather their chief guards, to have multiple blades (again, assuming it is possible).

Hrm... so, if I'm reading you correctly, you posit the following scenario: A man has a Shardblade. He bets it in a Duel, and loses. He later faces another man in a Duel (perhaps this time paying the fee to rent a King's Blade) and wins THIS Blade.

Is that the scenario you suggest?

Hrm... so, if I'm reading you correctly, you posit the following scenario: A man has a Shardblade. He bets it in a Duel, and loses. He later faces another man in a Duel (perhaps this time paying the fee to rent a King's Blade) and wins THIS Blade.

Is that the scenario you suggest?

Yes...that was what I was suggesting...and not the totally awesome idea of dual-wielding shardblades... :ph34r:

In all honesty your scenario is more likely. As I said, I do not know if one can bond two blades at the same time or not, but I would be surprised if it was not possible.

Edit: Located a WoB

source

The second one may be a WoR spoiler (though I doubt it).  It was "Can someone bond more than one honorblade?"

His (paraphrased) answer:

Honorblade?  You can't bond an honorblade, though it can be given to you.  (Only now as I write this do I realize he didn't fully answer it, lol) Shardblades, however, come from a spren bond and it is possible to bond more than one.

Edited by Blaze1616

• Chaos locked this topic