The Letter

RawToast225

People. Stop talking about Hoid writing The Letter as if it is canon. It's not. It's speculation. I will indiscriminately down vote and rail against people who do this from now on. Stop treating your espoused theories as Canon. Shallan was pissed when scholars did that. Shallan was written by Brandon, so we can assume that he is too. Stop.

Jabberwocky, I am sorry to say, you shouldn't threaten to down vote people just because they hold views you oppose. This is clearly mentioned in the rules forum. Besides that it is also very rude to say so.

If I remember Rubix provided some evidence that Hoid may have written the WoK letter in the "Who is Hoid" thread. If you are still not convinced, join the debate and say why you don't think so.

Lastly, I agree that Brandon has not said outright that Hoid wrote the Letter but he hasn't denied it outright too. So speculations are justified.

PS: I am going to upvote you so that your rep doesn't crash. But it might help if apologise.

Edited by Twenty@20

Brandon has confirmed that Hoid wrote the letter. In a Q&A, he mentioned that you could tell Hoid had some kind of beef with Bavadin. The only time Bavadin is ever mentioned is in the Letter. Therefore, until somebody can show a different place this could be talking about, it's pretty safe to assume that Hoid is the writer. One moment while I try to find the quote only to be sniped by Kirk or one of the other quotemasters.

EDIT: About ten seconds in I've found another interesting source.

I just a got a call from my husband. I told him to ask "If the recepient of Hoid's Letter in Way of Kings is a Dragon?". I really expected Sanderson to RAFO it, but instead he confirmed it!! Apparently he said that no one has ever asked him that before and that it was right on the money and from an unpublished book (Dragonsteel, I'm sure). Assuming the hubby asked correctly, that confirms both that the recipient is a Dragon and Hoid is the writer. Great catch!!!

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3962-the-recipient-of-the-letter-is-a-dragon/

Edited by Observer

One last thing. The epigraphs, or The Reply, in WoR also scream "It's Hoid!"

At one point he mentioned that "You seem to be naming yourself what what you see as one of your virtues" and a whole bunch of other stuff pointing Wit/Hoid's way. There's no reason to sling around downvotes, this is pretty solid canon.

Um... No. People treat ALL their theories as canon. That is what I am down voting and denunciating. I couldn't care less if they have different opinions, but opinion isn't Canon.

All is a strong word, because all generalizations are false, including this one. But seriously, they are usually backed up by solid evidence and that's no reason to dole out undeserved downvotes.

Edited by Redbird3000

People. Stop talking about Hoid writing The Letter as if it is canon. It's not. It's speculation. I will indiscriminately down vote and rail against people who do this from now on. Stop treating your espoused theories as Canon. Shallan was pissed when scholars did that. Shallan was written by Brandon, so we can assume that he is too. Stop.

I've talked to Brandon about this. He's fine with it. Maybe you shouldn't treat your theory about his personality as canon based on your assumptions. You were just complaining about others doing that.

My point still stands. Stop treating theories as Canon. The Letter was just a convenient example.

If the letter was just a convenient example (a WRONG one, which as I've addressed and given definitive proof for, IS canon per WoB) do you have any other examples? Given your lack of knowledge of completely verified information such as the writer of the letter, you shouldn't go on downvote sprees just because someone is positing something that you aren't sure is correct. They may have information that you don't, or are choosing to ignore for whatever reason. And if you do just start aggressively handing out downvotes to other people who are theorizing based on correct information due to your own ignorance, I will treat it as downvote abuse with extreme prejudice.

PM me if you have any further questions.