State of the Sanderson 2013 vs Now

Newan

It's kind of fun to compare what Brandon's writing plans were, and how they've changed.  

So you don't have to reread this blog post, here is a summary of Brandon's plans, as of summer 2013:

Revise Words of Radiance

Write Firefight

These are the future sequels, in order of urgency:

Rithmatist sequel.

Shadows of Self

Book 3 of Stormlight Archive

Calamity

Elantris Sequel "This is getting close."

Legion Sequel

Final Rithmatist book.  "I'm not 100% sure this will be a trilogy.  It might just be two books."

Nightblood "This one is still fairly far off."

Alcatraz 5

Original projects: 

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Sixth of the Dusk

The Silence Divine "Though, since I did release two new books this year (Rithmatist and Steelheart) in new worlds, starting new series, I will probably wait on this one until those series are done."

The Liar of Partinel "Very far off right now."

Skyward "Young adult cosmere novel... Probably a few years off."

Dark One "Non-cosmere YA novel... Don't hold your breath on this one."

Death by Pizza

White Sand "Some fun things are happening here, but I can't really talk about them right now."

I'm not going to address the media properties, because it's futile to speculate on when there will be any developments. Storming film industry. Rusting video games.

Now:

Released: 

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Words of Radiance

Sixth of the Dusk

Completed, just waiting to be released: 

Legion: Skin Deep

Alcatraz 5

Current projects, according to the progress bar:

Firefight 3rd pass proofs 100%

Shadows of Self 40%

Stones Unhallowed 25%

Calamity 0%

Also in the works: White Sand Graphic Novels

Future sequels, in order of urgency. The order is largely just speculation.

The Aztlanian (The Rithmatist Sequel)

Third Wax and Wayne Mistborn novel

Stormlight 4

The Rithmatist 3, if there is going to be a third one.

Nightblood: After WoR, the demand for this book has gone up considerably.  I suspect this will move it forward in Brandon's queue. But I could be wrong.

Elantris 2: I have no idea when Elantris 2 and 3 are coming.  Since there is a large gap of years between books 1 and 2, perhaps we will see Elantris 2 in 2016 and Elantris 3 in 2027.  Who can say?

Stormlight 5

Modern Mistborn Trilogy

Stormlight Archive, back half

Original projects:

The Silence Divine: I believe that Brandon wants to finish Reckoners and Rithmatist before he writes this one.  My guess is that if there is not a third Rithmatist book, he might write this one in between Stormlight 4 and 5.

The Liar of Partinel: If anyone knows about any updates of the status of this book, please tell me.  Brandon wants to write Dragonsteel after finishing the Stormlight Archive, and Liar of Partinel is supposed to take place on Yolen, several hundred years before Dragonsteel.  Because of this, I am guessing that Hoid's origin story will be released in between books of the back half of the Stormlight Archive.

Skyward: I know nothing about this book, but a YA cosmere novel sounds fun!  Maybe it will be released in between Stormlight 5 and the Modern Mistborn Trilogy. Then again, Brandon has said he wants to release one teen book per year, so maybe it will come earlier than that.

Dark One: ??? again I know nothing.  

Death by Pizza: This one seems to have been permanently shelved.  

So here is my tentative, speculative list for the order of the books to come out in the future.  It is sure to be wrong, especially as we get more than a few years away.

2014:

Legion: Skin Deep

2015:

Firefight

White Sand 1

Shadows of Self 

2016:

Stones Unhallowed

Alcatraz 5

Calamity

White Sand 2

2017:

The Aztlanian

White Sand 3

Wax and Wayne 3

2018:

Stormlight 4

Nightblood

Rithmatist 3

2019:

The Silence Divine

Skyward

2020:

The Highprince of War (Stormlight 5)

Dark One, or maybe a Skyward sequel

2021:

Elantris 2

Another YA book

2022-2026: Modern Mistborn Trilogy

2028-2036: Stormlight Archive back half, The Liar of Partinel, Elantris 3

2038-2050: Seven book Dragonsteel series.

2052-2056: Future Mistborn Trilogy

2057-???: No idea, but Brandon will be 81 by then.

Wow.  This post turned out kind of depressing.  Let's compress it a little bit.  Maybe the Mistborn and Dragonsteel books will only take 1 year each.

Now-2020 Stormlight front half

2021-2023 Modern Mistborn

2025-2033 Stormlight back half

2033-2040 Dragonsteel

2041-2043 Future Mistborn Trilogy

Brandon will only be 67 then.  That's better. Now my pulse is returning to a normal rate.  

The future seems scary, but this means the onslaught of awesome books will last at least 30 more years.  I'm going to be 50 by the time the major cosmere series are complete! If we assume that Brandon writes an average of 2.5 books per year, that's 75 more Brandon Sanderson books.  I think I can live with that.

I can't wait for so many of these! Can't they be finished by about, yesterday?!?!

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the White Sand graphic novels. Do we know who's doing the art for these? Has anybody seen sample art for them yet?

If the Shardhunt ever gets finished, I would prefer seeing artwork examples from White Sand before getting AoL annotations2.0! (But don't get me wrong, I want the AoL annotations2.0 too.)

Nightblood: After WoR, the demand for this book has gone up considerably.  I suspect this will move it forward in Brandon's queue. But I could be wrong.

Given that Warbreaker was more of a character prequel for someone in the SA there´s a good chance the book has to wait because it spoils something for their future role in the Cosmere. With some luck that something will be revealed in Skybreaker. One way or another I want that book for years now, so I´ll joyfully squeal, should it get released.

Admittedly, just about every book from Brandon will get me to squeal but that one has a long wait bonus. :P

I wonder if Brandon could just hire more people to take of some of the editing/revising that seems to stress him out so much

There are already plenty of people who help out on the editing and revising. He lists them off in the acknowledgements in each book. The problem is that there is only so much that they can do. They can give feedback, explain where they're lost or confused, find plot holes and such, but at the end of the day the only person who can fix those sorts of things in the appropriate way is Brandon.

I'd bet that we will eventually have other authors writing in the cosmere, like how Frank Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are writing in the Dune Universe.  Maybe even before Brandon (may he live forever) dies.  

Edited by Newan

I imagine he's repurposed a lot of the ideas. The whole Shattered Plains thing was initially a Dragonsteel concept but migrated over to the Stormlight Archive. And Brandon's a better storyteller now, so if he thinks the story is better told in fewer books than he thought he would need as a less experienced author, I'm inclined to trust him. And anyways, that's more books he can write other places!

I'd bet that we will eventually have other authors writing in the cosmere, like how Frank Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are writing in the Dune Universe.  Maybe even before Brandon (may he live forever) dies.  

I´m not sure how I would feel about Brandon having the same happen to him after he finished the wheel of time. It might start a rather tragic writter legacy.

Am I the only one that finds this disappointing?

No, you´re not.

For half a second, I forgot this is 2014, and was horrified that not only was Brandon (by your calculations) only publishing one book next year, it was for the series I haven't read yet.

I need sleep.

Even more than sleep, you need to read Legion! $2.99 on Kindle, man.

(I am the hypocrite who hasn't yet read Defending Elysium or Firstborn, and I approve this message)

Edited by Newan

I´m not sure how I would feel about Brandon having the same happen to him after he finished the wheel of time. It might start a rather tragic writter legacy.

Yeah, I don't really see it happening until Brandon has at least finished everything he's currently planning to write for the Cosmere. Even once he finishes, I don't think it will happen. Not enough Shardworlds to go around, given the glimpses we've had of the scale of the main arc.

I can't wait for so many of these! Can't they be finished by about, yesterday?!?!

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the White Sand graphic novels. Do we know who's doing the art for these? Has anybody seen sample art for them yet?

If the Shardhunt ever gets finished, I would prefer seeing artwork examples from White Sand before getting AoL annotations2.0! (But don't get me wrong, I want the AoL annotations2.0 too.)

NOOoOoOoOo! Cause then we can't go to the midnight release :P

The future seems scary, but this means the onslaught of awesome books will last at least 30 more years.  I'm going to be 50 by the time the major cosmere series are complete! If we assume that Brandon writes an average of 2.5 books per year, that's 75 more Brandon Sanderson books.  I think I can live with that.

Another thread got me to actually sit down and figure out Brandon's annual output, which is about 1,400 published pages per year.* That's about three regular novels per year, or one giant doorstopper plus one regular novel. 

If you're looking not just at complete novels, but also at shorter works (whether published on its own or as part of anthology or whatever), then he has averaged 3.3 releases per year. And he doesn't seem to be slowing down. 

So any way you look at it, I think a minimum of 2.5 books per year is a pretty reasonable assumption. 

* [This includes some estimates, since I don't have every short story, etc. If anyone wants to see the numbers, I would be glad to share.]

Edited by Fedcomic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic