Episodes 0 and 1

Chaos

The first two* episodes (one which is completely silly) are now up! You can click those links, or find it in the ShardCast tab on the main navigation bar.

Was it worth the wait? Probably not :P But at least they are finally here.

What do you all think? Good? Bad? Pokemontastic?

Hey guys, I enjoyed the podcast, a great start on your endeavour. There were a few things I felt you could work on to make it a more enjoyable experience for the next time you record, that I thought I would pass on in a hopefully constructive way;

1) For me it ran a bit long, forty minutes for a podcast made it lose my attention on a few occasions, I'd rather it fifteen to twenty minutes as it would hold my attention better that way.

2) I would like more structure to your content. You didn't seem to have your quotes to hand even tho you knew you would be talking about these topics and having them to hand would make the process smoother and avoid people talking over each other.

3) On talking over each other, I would suggest not having a fourth person until you guys have worked together more and know each other’s roles better. With the ability to know who does what and who picks up on which cues it will make it easier to then have on a fourth guest and not have everyone talking at once, which gets confusing for the listener.

4) On theories; it would be more enjoyable for me if you were clearer on the theories, referencing things to being; canon, word of god, commonly theorised, wildly theorised etc. would then give the listener an easier understanding of how wide spread the theories are. Including links to pages (forum or wiki) along with the podcast would also then allow the readers to learn more about the theories discussed in the podcast and make for a better experience. Conflicting viewpoints on theories should be scripted, this would allow emotions to be removed from the equation and deliver a better understanding of all sides to the listener, thus allowing them to make up their own mind.

As I said, I enjoyed your first podcast and wish you all the best in creating additional ones and hope my advice is taken as intended, being constructively.

Edited by Brendan

Definitely enjoyed them - no length issues for me, but one of my favorite podcasts is consistently 3 hours long, once a week, so.. haha.

All I want is an RSS feed I can subscribe to, so I can put it in my podcast player and auto-update. There might already be one and I'm just missing it.. so if that's the case, someone fix me!

I really appreciate the constructive criticism, Brendan. Thanks!

We're all still new at this so we're going to probably take a few episodes to get in the groove of it all, everyone. We are aware that a longer-form podcast won't be popular with everyone, especially since I assume a lot of you are familiar with Writing Excuses :P However, we are trying to be more free with structure than a strict time limit would allow. We're going to give ourselves as much time as we need to discuss the topics at hand. I can't imagine a podcast being shorter than thirty minutes, even in the slowest of weeks. But who knows? They could be shorter, they could be longer. We will see what works.

immortalbum, does this feed work? I posted it in the ShardCast post but you beat me to this topic, haha.

Edited by Chaos

I really appreciate the constructive criticism, Brendan. Thanks!

We're all still new at this so we're going to probably take a few episodes to get in the groove of it all, everyone. We are aware that a longer-form podcast won't be popular with everyone, especially since I assume a lot of you are familiar with Writing Excuses :P However, we are trying to be more free with structure than a strict time limit would allow. We're going to give ourselves as much time as we need to discuss the topics at hand. I can't imagine a podcast being shorter than thirty minutes, even in the slowest of weeks. But who knows? They could be shorter, they could be longer. We will see what works.

immortalbum, does this feed work? I posted it in the ShardCast post but you beat me to this topic, haha.

Unfortunately it doesn't. It would work if there was a <guid> element in the RSS XML linked up to the .mp3 download, as well as an <enclosure /> tag.. I don't know how much you know about setting up podcast feeds, so you might know all that already. ;)

If not, I'm definitely willing to help out and get something going!

Unfortunately it doesn't. It would work if there was a <guid> element in the RSS XML linked up to the .mp3 download, as well as an <enclosure /> tag.. I don't know how much you know about setting up podcast feeds, so you might know all that already. ;)

If not, I'm definitely willing to help out and get something going!

I know absolutely nothing, actually. PM me and we'll get it worked out. Hopefully IPB won't be a pain in the rear about it.

Not bad for a first time. I would have liked it to be a bit longer. I'm rather used to podcasts that are at least an hour long. 40 minutes is fine, though, if you prefer.

Having a section with listner feeback is always fun. Comments, questions, random odd things, whatever you find on the forum thread for the episode or perhaps sent by email. You can introduce that later when things start getting more comfortable for you guys.

I would also like to see this podcast go up on iTunes (unless I just can't find it).

On a somewhat related note, I can totally picture Vin with a Lucario. In fact, I can imagine her sparring with said Lucario. :P

Sounds legit

Haha. I do really appreciate the criticism, though. I do think it's going to take us a while to get us into a really good groove with how to run this, so we're trying all sorts of things.

I think the problem largely came from us picking a really challenging topic to convey in a coherent manner. We'll see what you all think! Haha.

Not bad for a first time. I would have liked it to be a bit longer. I'm rather used to podcasts that are at least an hour long. 40 minutes is fine, though, if you prefer.

Having a section with listner feeback is always fun. Comments, questions, random odd things, whatever you find on the forum thread for the episode or perhaps sent by email. You can introduce that later when things start getting more comfortable for you guys.

I would also like to see this podcast go up on iTunes (unless I just can't find it).

On a somewhat related note, I can totally picture Vin with a Lucario. In fact, I can imagine her sparring with said Lucario. :P

Psh, "it's too long!" "it's too short!" :P Make up your mind, people!

I kid, I kid. I hear what you're saying, Strawberry. I listen to some long form podcasts and they are great. But, at least we discovered today, that podcasting that long is exhausting. 40ish minutes may be the sweet spot. (I can pretty much guarantee that at least the RPG podcast we do will be that long, if not the longest podcast we have)

You mean a section in-podcast talking about listener feedback? Hmmm. I mean, we will definitely have a mailbag episode, and also we will eventually stream the podcasts live, like UStream, so you guys can complain to us in the chat there :P

The podcast isn't on iTunes yet. We're working on it.

Also, Vin with Lucario is freaking perfect. :D

You mean a section in-podcast talking about listener feedback? Hmmm. I mean, we will definitely have a mailbag episode, and also we will eventually stream the podcasts live, like UStream, so you guys can complain to us in the chat there :P

Yes, that's what I meant. A mailbag episode(s) would work just as well. :)

What is this RPG podcast? I haven't heard of it before

We're not just having one ShardCast, but actually three! We have the main ShardCast, but then we will have ShardCast: Companion, which will have Josh and Mi'ch doing readthroughs and analyses of the books themselves. Then, finally, we will have an RPG podcast (currently untitled, we're working on it) with Kerry, Matt, and I, where we discuss, primarily, our Mistborn RPG, other forum RPGs as they come (eventually), and things like the Mistborn Adventure Game.

The idea behind the RPG cast is to explain the vastness of MBI and make the learning curve a lot less harsh. That's mostly what we will discuss in the beginning.