The Final Empire reference in The Bands of Mourning

BlueWildRye

I was rereading The Bands of Mourning and in it I think maybe Marasi or Steris says that Wax and Wayne act a lot like brothers, I can't really remember the specifics, but then Wayne said something along the lines of, "I'm fine with being brothers with Wax as long as I'm the handsome one!" (definitely not the exact quote I couldn't find it) And that gave me a callback to The Final Empire, where Kelsier is talking about his actual brother Marsh, and he says "Marsh may be the genius, but I'm the handsome one!" (actual quote there, I saved it)

Did anyone else notice this? Did Brandon Sanderson do this on purpose as a throwback?

13 hours ago, BlueWildRye said:

I was rereading The Bands of Mourning and in it I think maybe Marasi or Steris says that Wax and Wayne act a lot like brothers, I can't really remember the specifics, but then Wayne said something along the lines of, "I'm fine with being brothers with Wax as long as I'm the handsome one!" (definitely not the exact quote I couldn't find it) And that gave me a callback to The Final Empire, where Kelsier is talking about his actual brother Marsh, and he says "Marsh may be the genius, but I'm the handsome one!" (actual quote there, I saved it)

Are you sure it was BoM? I can't find a reference like that there, but there is this one in AoL Ch 12:

Spoiler

Waxillium glanced at him. “That hat looks ridiculous.”

“Fortunately, I can change hats,” Wayne said in the pretzel-guy accent, “while you, sir, are stuck with that face.”

“You two sound a lot like siblings,” Marasi said, watching curiously. “Do you realize that?”

“So long as I’m the handsome one,” Wayne said.

13 hours ago, BlueWildRye said:

Did anyone else notice this? Did Brandon Sanderson do this on purpose as a throwback?

Oh, almost assuredly. Just like the Wellid callback in TLM (spoilers for TLM at the link).

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG