Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Title explains itself. I’d love to talk about magic and brainstorm Cosmere type magic, like levitations with blue lines and stuff. Even if you’re not into magic, lmk what cool tricks based off Brandon’s books y’all wanna see. If you want to learn how to do tricks, you’re in the right place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

!!!!!

Unfortunately, I myself am a fraud and a magician only in name lol . . . 

Either way, welcome to the Shard!!! Do you have a favorite kind of bagel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

I WANT TO LEARN!!

I am your humble pupil.

*realizes I have zero teaching experience*

I have a few books to learn from, and YouTube really is a great source. I know it's a bit cliche, but card tricks are really easy to get into, and you can, in fact do cooler things than "pick a card, found it!". Look for anything on the double lift to start, I recommend Jason Maher and Chris Ramsay for tutorials (yt) and the Card College Vol. 1 for books.

If you want to try coins, try to learn the French drop and a finger palm. I don't think Danny Goldsmith has any free stuff, but check out his performances, they're brilliant! For books, Bobo's Coin Magic is great.

If you want to try stuff with rubber bands (it's a whole thing, actually) check out Crazy Man's Handcuffs, or again look up Chris Ramsay.

If you're interested in theory and performance tips, check out this free book: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/ebooks/magic-in-mind/ , which compiles essays from some of the greatest magicians ever. And yes, there are shops that sell professional level magic tricks, not just cheap gags. I wouldn't recommend buying anything for a while though, you never know how much you'll actually like it.

I'm so happy to see people getting excited about my favorite art form. 

5 hours ago, J. Magi said:

!!!!!

Unfortunately, I myself am a fraud and a magician only in name lol . . . 

Either way, welcome to the Shard!!! Do you have a favorite kind of bagel?

JM! How dare! It's me. I literally asked you if you were a real magician in my intro thread. And mentioned you in the tags. And told you I prefer blueberry or Parmesan, but can't abide cinnamon raisin. Appreciate the gesture though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LightRinger said:

*realizes I have zero teaching experience*

I have a few books to learn from, and YouTube really is a great source. I know it's a bit cliche, but card tricks are really easy to get into, and you can, in fact do cooler things than "pick a card, found it!". Look for anything on the double lift to start, I recommend Jason Maher and Chris Ramsay for tutorials (yt) and the Card College Vol. 1 for books.

If you want to try coins, try to learn the French drop and a finger palm. I don't think Danny Goldsmith has any free stuff, but check out his performances, they're brilliant! For books, Bobo's Coin Magic is great.

If you want to try stuff with rubber bands (it's a whole thing, actually) check out Crazy Man's Handcuffs, or again look up Chris Ramsay.

If you're interested in theory and performance tips, check out this free book: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/ebooks/magic-in-mind/ , which compiles essays from some of the greatest magicians ever. And yes, there are shops that sell professional level magic tricks, not just cheap gags. I wouldn't recommend buying anything for a while though, you never know how much you'll actually like it.

I'm so happy to see people getting excited about my favorite art form. 

JM! How dare! It's me. I literally asked you if you were a real magician in my intro thread. And mentioned you in the tags. And told you I prefer blueberry or Parmesan, but can't abide cinnamon raisin. Appreciate the gesture though.

OH MY WORD

I'M SO SORRY

I'M LOOSING MY MIND I THOUGHT THIS WAS AN INTRO THREAD AND DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS IN A DIFFERENT PART OF THE FORUMS AND I DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS YOU

A:LKJF:LKSDJF:LKJSDFL:KJSLDKFJ  I'M SO SORRY MY GOODNESS

THIS IS WHY I CAN'T BE TRUSTED ON THE SHARD AT 8:00 AM WHEN I'M ONLY HALF AWAKE

Edited by J. Magi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've tried to do "basic" magic tricks, but it didn't work very well. Maybe if I have the time, I'll learn how to do some better ones. 

In a world with actual magic, I don't know how popular stage magic would be, but I'll do some speculation. "I will now make this person disappear!" "Boring. They're obviously a Willshaper."

Sliders or steelrunners could perform slight of hand tricks at high speed, similar to Wayne's quick costume changes. 

Iron or steel allomancy could be used to move things around, perhaps openly. An iron misting could tie streamers to some metal balls, then juggle them magically as a performance. 

Lightweaving makes stage magic way too easy. Just use illusions to hide or create things. 

Forgery might be especially well suited to magic tricks, especially once word of other magic systems gets out, which would make some things more plausible (even though those magic systems wouldn't actually help, because the concept of "weird alien magic can probably do it" definitely extends to things that are impossible). 

Awakened objects could be helpful. Make a really tight ball of scarves, then command it to "Untie when touched", to make it decompress and spring out of a hat. On a performance related side note, I wonder if I could tell a rope to "dance as if you were me". Although actually, I'm not that good at dancing, so just "dance" is a better command. 

Anyway, I'm out of initial ideas, but if this thread doesn't just end, I'm exited to see what other people come up with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2024 at 2:27 PM, Dragonheir said:

In a world with actual magic, I don't know how popular stage magic would be, but I'll do some speculation.

I love these! I’m currently working on a few things IRL to look like Cosmere powers, like coin bending, but ideally I could do things with Awakening, like making color drain out of objects and getting things to animate. To your notes, I think people would be less like magicians and more like jugglers, showing obvious display of skill. Like an Awakener having other people saying what command to use, or a Swift? (Compounding Steel) pushing something super far then catching it or something.

If they did “magic”, it’d be more subtly I think, like soothing someone’s doubt, or storing a bit of their body heat to a metal mind while doing a mind reading routine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...