Theory: Szeth was a Stone Shaman

Telcontar

This is sort of a random idea, but is it possible that Szeth is the son of a Herald? That would explain his knowledge about his powers, and his belief that the Voidbringers exist and that the Final Desolation is coming. I think it's possible that the son-son Vallano thing may be a very clever way to not give away his father's identity not only in-world, but to the reader. And that would also explain why he doesn't feel bad about using Vallano's name. Perhaps his grandfather has been dead for millennia. Although I guess his mother could be the Herald, so Vallano would be on the other side of the family.

Of course, I suppose Szeth could be a Herald himself. Brandon did say there were a few more hidden in the book that he thought were very obvious (although I can't remember where I saw that). Maybe he hid one in plain sight? But he just seems a little too invested in Shin dogma for that to make sense to me.

Anyway, it just sort of popped into my head when I was thinking about how Szeth is arguably the most mysterious character in the whole book (next to Hoid), so whatever his story is it must be something really exceptional. (Vasher, anyone?)

Edited by Scattered

This is sort of a random idea, but is it possible that Szeth is the son of a Herald? That would explain his knowledge about his powers, and his belief that the Voidbringers exist and that the Final Desolation is coming. I think it's possible that the son-son Vallano thing may be a very clever way to not give away his father's identity not only in-world, but to the reader. And that would also explain why he doesn't feel bad about using Vallano's name. Perhaps his grandfather has been dead for millennia. Although I guess his mother could be the Herald, so Vallano would be on the other side of the family.

Of course, I suppose Szeth could be a Herald himself. Brandon did say there were a few more hidden in the book that he thought were very obvious (although I can't remember where I saw that). Maybe he hid one in plain sight? But he just seems a little too invested in Shin dogma for that to make sense to me.

Anyway, it just sort of popped into my head when I was thinking about how Szeth is arguably the most mysterious character in the whole book (next to Hoid), so whatever his story is it must be something really exceptional. (Vasher, anyone?)

There is a moment in the book where the father of our killer in white is mentioned. Of course that doesn't mean that that one is no Herald. Anyway, if Szeht is descended from a Herald, I'd go with his mother.

I don't think Szeth himself would be a Herald, as he gives us his age. Heralds would be millenia old, Szeth is around 35 years old.

If there is a Herald involved with the Shin, I'd rather say that he is hidden in their society but responsible for their knowledge.

There is a moment in the book where the father of our killer in white is mentioned. Of course that doesn't mean that that one is no Herald. Anyway, if Szeht is descended from a Herald, I'd go with his mother.

I don't think Szeth himself would be a Herald, as he gives us his age. Heralds would be millenia old, Szeth is around 35 years old.

If there is a Herald involved with the Shin, I'd rather say that he is hidden in their society but responsible for their knowledge.

Yes, his father's name is Naturo.

• 3 years later...

So i was reading these posts yesterday and ended up reading Q&A with BS and i noticed some answers he gave that i thought would fit well in here (also not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet). I cant remember who speculated that the stone shamen might have trained others with bonded spren or something similar, and it could maybe be where Szeth learned his abilities and what not but
"Q: Could any type of spren bond with any person(enen if the result would'ntbe a KR)? Or only the ones associated with a branch of yhr Knights?
A: Ooh, that's an excellent question. This is something theoretically possible for a lesser spren to achieve."

So my thought is maybe the stone shamen have found this and use it to train? And also regarding the voices he hears in his head that maybe its some bonded spren
"That is not the spren. Good question. The spren...the spren is not a spren that is a...for one of the orders."

So im assuming Szeth has maybe a lesser spren from what BS says.

Edit: And also i realizse that im posting 3 years after the last post lol

Edited by WeiryWriter
please do not double post

Welcome!

Just forum protocol:

• Theory threads in book forums are immune to necrosis.
  • This theory thread still seems relevant. (just my opinion)
  • There is an edit function that is preferred for adding to posts without double-posting.
Edited by hoser

• Chaos locked this topic