Hoid and Midius

Qazxvy

(You should probably read at least the first chapter of the liar of partinel before reading this post) So this is kind of an unfinished theory based on a possible typo but here goes: (btw, I don't know how to use the quote function so bear with me) In the Liar of Partinel first few chapters from awhile back seen here http://www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/warbreaker/LiarPt12.doc there is Hoid, the master jesk, and Midius, the apprentice. I was reading through for the second time when I noticed this: "​Midius frowned.  “The summons?  No.  I go for. . .other reasons.” ​“You will find no joy in revenge, my son,” Midius whispered." The first speaker is the apprentice, and the second speaker would appear to be the master, yet they are both referred to as Midius in this quote. Like I said, might be a typo. Also, couldn't find this but my friend Tulir told me that it was confirmed that Midius from The Liar of Partinel was called Hoid from all of the other books. This makes it seem like the master is the same person as the apprentice. It seems like Hoid somehow managed to go back in time, or make some sort of paradox in which he teaches himself. Maybe, also, Hoid manages to use his slow down/travel in time trick "Can Hoid travel in time? Status: He so far has only gone in one direction in time. He may have found a way to go through it slower than normal." (from the list of ultimate questions) and actually goes through an entire cycle of time (as in wheel of time) before he finally dies. That one is less likely but food for thought. Summary- Midius and Hoid are the same person, Hoid can travel through time. Also, as a side note, there is this quote that also seems like a typo or something that could really make me wonder about Midius- "​His instincts told Midius to kill the young man.  Right then.  Be done with it, to earn Rens’ ire, to abandon use of their Aetherlin and let Partinel rest upon its own resources.  ​But he did not.  As he’d said, he had just enough of a conscience to be dangerous.  The city would not fall while he was king.  He might have taken the throne through lies, bloodshed, and treachery.  But he would not fail its people.  Not if there were a way to save it.  Not if there were a way to wiggle out of Naysho’s ploys." Wait so is Midius Hoid and Theus? Ahhhhhhh!!! Confusion! But once again, may be typos.

We don't know for certain that the man named Midius is the man known as Hoid in the other books. But at this point, it's usually taken as a given. Brandon has not confirmed it and the story is not official canon, but it just makes too much sense for it to be otherwise.

Also, I believe it has been confirmed that Hoid cannot travel backward in time.

• Chaos locked this topic