• Rysn
    • Lift
    • Navani
    • Rock
    • Lopen
    • Sizgil
    • Wit/Hoid
    • Other

My favorite is Kaladin. Like many have mentioned he drove me nuts for most of WOR. I got frustrated a lot with how he acted but he redeemed himself on many occasions. When Adolin is in trouble during the duel and he says "Honor is Dead" then jumps over the wall to help him,  that was a great moment in my opinion. Granted when he called out Amaram, which wasn't with the plan everyone thought up for the duel, i was like "what are you doing you idiot!" Then his being upset the after that and his plotting to kill Elhokar annoyed me. But then when he finally comes around and protects him and says the words i was pumped up. It only got better for me after that when he fights Szeth.

My other Favorites include: Dalinar i am a sucker for someone who acts honorably. He acts different than most light eyes, cares about his men, and is in general a beast on the battlefield.

I have an affinity for Syl. She amuses me with her comments, is essentially Kaladin's conscience, and without her Kaladin can't become a KR.

Adolin has grown on me. At times he is spoiled, but then again what can you expect from someone who grew up as privileged as he did. But in WOR i felt he grew a lot. I love his dueling scenes and his motivation to protect his family.

I am one of the people who appreciates Szeth. I think when i reread the WOR i grew to appreciate him more. I get he kills a lot of people which is terrible. But his inner turmoil about how he hates killing versus holding to his religious beliefs and following the orders of whoever possesses his oathstone is what makes him interesting. I look forward to seeing how he develops in the coming books. @Sun Tzaro, great breakdown of the complexity of his character. It was an interesting read.

I like many of the other characters but those are probably my favorite among them. A shout out to Rock and Lopen for helping keep things light and entertaining.  

As character is only interesting as long as there is a balance between their flaws and their virtues, and it is often better to have that balance skewed towards their flaws. Characters like Elhokar, Szeth, and to a lesser, more mundane extent, Renarin, are interesting not because their strenght, but because of their inner weakness and how they deal with it, with variyng degrees of sucess.

Or, in Szeths case, failure. :(

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I'ts difficult to choose only one of the characters. I like the way Shallan evolves in WoR, I found her pretty boring in the first book; I like Kaladin much better in WoR too. Syl and Pattern are great too, but not in the list; so I eventually voted for Dalinar : he is the only one that I really liked from the very start and his doubt on his own sanity were very interesting to follow. And I waited for him to disappoint me, but he didn't so I just like him even more :)

I liked Syl, she's cheerful and fun, she provides a nice contrast to Kaladin, and I was always excited to see character development for her, especially when the development is related to Kaladin. I also liked Wit, I'm glad that after all his appearances he's finally a main character, I first started to like him in Warbreaker, and this just cemented him as one of my favorites in any of Brandon's books.

My favorite is easily Kaladin. The main reason is that his weaknesses are the most relatable to me on a personal level, apathy, near-depression, contemplating suicide, and struggling with his own morals. This is a large part of why actually liked, no, LOVED his story-line in WoR. After his against all odds victory in WoK he doesn't instantly get over his myriad issues, like he said in WoK, "Despair was a luxury" (Page 744 Hardback) at the time he couldn't afford that but with his newfound freedom he got more problems and more room to contemplate perceived wrongs. 

I'm not defending his actions, but it was as real as a character has felt to me and he came out all the stronger for overcoming (some) of his (many) flaws. And I have no doubt that Mr. Sanderson will continue to put him through the wringer until he runs out of flaws to poke... or kills him, which would be pretty darn hard.

• Chaos locked this topic