The Superman Connection

Yados

I've often wondered if Mr. Sanderson is more influenced by comic books than the average high-fantasy writer, as an avid comic reader myself. There's never been anything concrete, just a few glimmers here and there.

I'll show my work.

1) Movement

Some of the magic systems we've seen in Sanderson's major works-- Mistborn and Stormlight-- have so much movement inherent to their magic systems. Mistborn jumping the highest walls and spires in Luthadel/Elendel. Windrunners walking on walls and jumping wide chasms. Even tiny Shardplate-users wrestling giant chasmfiends. It's a visual dynamism that seeps into the prose and, I know that one of the reasons that I take movement into consideration when writing my own things is because that visual half of things was drilled into me so early on with comics.

Likewise, fight scenes are so visually choreographed.

2) Radiants and Mistborn

In Dalinar's vision, the radiants were depicted to us as shining figures in blue armor with sigils woven of light blazing across the chest... bounding off into the distance as quickly as they came.

Mistborn, at least the more classic ones (not Vin or Kel) are aristocratic, highly privileged individuals who, by night, stalk the streets and rooftops of their city dressed in segmented capes.

Sound familiar?

3) Names

Kal-el din

K-El sier

(Clark) Kenton ... yeah, so that one was from White Sand. But still. Movement based magic system, main character shares some name similarity with Superman. Seemed the place to mention it. I can take it out if we're not supposed to talk about that stuff in any way whatsoever.

4) Ironheart

Not to mention that I believe Sanderson has mentioned a superhero standalone book of the above title.

Just a bit of fun, meaningless conjecture.

Edited by Yados

Movement is just a thing that people do. The books would be pretty darn boring if they just stood around and looked at stuff the whole time.

The idea of aristocratic individuals with a crime-fighting nightlife seems more like Batman or Ironman to me.

Sure, but you have a fantasy tradition of stuff like WoT or LotR or Harry Potter where magic serves as a destructive, cognitive, or creative force. However, magic that sends people propelling over cityscapes or over mountains is a bit less the norm.

And yeah, I was alleging Batman with the Mistborn line. Should have been more clear.

This is what Brandon has to say about overlap between the powers and names of his characters and others.

WHURSMABELLY

Did you know there's a Marvel Comics character called Legion who has abilities very similair to those found in your novella?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Someone mentioned it to me yesterday. I'm afraid, though, it's impossible not to do things that Marve/DC haven't covered.

Magneto vs Allomancy, for example, or about a billion gravity manipulation superheroes vs Szeth.

When I write something, I can't ask "Has anyone done this before?" because the answer will ALWAYS be yes.

:) That said, it's amusing (but perhaps not surprising) that we both used the same idea with the name.

WHURSMABELLY

Have you ever felt the need to change anything in your writing that was TOO close to something already out there?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, I have—but only in the pre-publication stage. If I'd known about the Marvel character, for example

I probably would have used another name. Still, knowing now means I can change it if I do a full novel.

Source

I feel like Brandon really likes it when his characters can fly or just simply be superstrong. Mistborn could keep themselves in the air pretty well with metal pushes and pulls, plus they have pewter for super strength. Wax could keep himself in the air pretty easily with pushes, gunshots, and weight manipulation. Talented Awakeners could use tasseled sleeves and pantlegs to approximate super strength, especially in jumps. Windrunners can manipulate gravity's effect on themselves and other objects, plus the have the Stormlight enhanced strength.

Elantrians can't fly, but they can teleport.

So yeah, besides Elantrians, they are all like superheroes who are sharply limited by the amount of resources they have at hand. The whole "limitations are more interesting in a magic system than the powers" thing. http://brandonsanderson.com/article/100/Sandersons-Second-Law Hmm, googled the Sanderson's Laws, and here's a blog post of his that explicitly mentions Superman from April of 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that you need to remember is that many stories share similar elements not because they are influenced by one another, but because those things make the story interesting. For instance, most stories have some sort of villain to provide conflict. You don't need a villain, but it makes good sense to have one. Likewise, having a battle with two characters standing still and trying to best each other in willpower simply just doesn't make for an entertaining scene (unless there's something more going on than just that, such as an ideological conflict).

• Chaos locked this topic