The Alloy of Law is a lot of fun

I finished The Alloy of Law right before the end of 2023!! I had an absolute blast with it!! Wax, Wayne and Marasi were a rusting hoot together! Wax’s deductions of the Vanishers’ crimes were some of my favorite parts of the book. Marasi’s criminal theories and growing friendship with Wax and Wayne were very entertaining. Wayne is EASILY the funniest Cosmere character so far. Wayne has too many lines of comedy gold. I knew I’d love him after “tea’s poisoned.”

I thought each of the three MCs had a surprising amount of depth. Marasi grew a surprising amount in such a short number of chapters. I was flabbergasted that her cadmium power saved the day. Wayne’s backstory of killing a father kinda tugged on my heart. I think Wax’s ongoing trauma over killing Lessie was a nice touch, and I hope Sanderson doesn’t sideline it. 

I loved Miles both as an antagonist and a character. As an antagonist, he was very competent with a horrifying power. Ever since watching Hellsing Ultimate I realized the horror of regenerators. They’ll just keep coming back from any wound, and their healing looks disgusting at certain points. Miles’ power did not disappoint. He was a Pewterarm without being a Pewterarm. And as a character, I really like him. His frustration with the justice system is very relatable. He felt his actions weren’t helping people, as if he was stuck in a cycle. His dislike of Elendel feels like something you’d see in our world - a prominent city believed to be manipulating a poorer city. I wish he survived the book’s events. 

The advancements of Allomancy and technology took this book to a new level. Whether it’s Wax’s Twinborn combo or Miles’ Compounding, gunplay interwining with Steelpushing, aluminum’s negation of magic, or Ranette’s Ironpulling interacting with the tech of her home. I never knew magic could combine so well with tech and guns. I was flabbergasted at the ridiculous limits of Wax’s Steelpushing, astounded by Miles’ healing output and the ridiculous number of embedded gold, and amazed by Wayne stealing DIO’s whole rusting flow. Tbh I’m still in awe from Wax and Wayne killing like 30 Vanishers, and the train fight, and Wayne having whole conversations in the time it takes to utter a single word. It’s even crazier that these are feats done with less raw power than Vin, Kelsier, and especially the Lord Ruler. No wonder both gods wanted the Lord Ruler to die.

I have several theories cuz of the lack of Mistborn, broadsheets, and the Sanderlanche. My main theory is that Harmony has a plan in motion.

44 minutes ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

Wayne’s backstory of killing a father kinda tugged on my heart.

44 minutes ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

I think Wax’s ongoing trauma over killing Lessie was a nice touch, and I hope Sanderson doesn’t sideline it. 

You will get more information on both of these in Shadows of Self

45 minutes ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

My main theory is that Harmony has a plan in motion.

Have you read any Cosmere other than Mistborn? (slight Spoilers)

Spoiler

Specifically Stormlight Archive? (Slightly more spoilers)

Spoiler

More specifically, the Rhythm of War epigraph for Chapter 29

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

You will get more information on both of these in Shadows of Self

Thanks for making me hyped :D

Have you read any Cosmere other than Mistborn? (slight Spoilers)

I think I’ve mentioned this before. I’ve read Elantris and Emperor’s Soul, but haven’t yet read Stormlight Archive.

2 hours ago, Ale the Metallic Conjurer said:

I think I’ve mentioned this before. I’ve read Elantris and Emperor’s Soul, but haven’t yet read Stormlight Archive.

I'm sure you did, but those random comments can be really hard to find unless they are in the user's Profile or the first post of their "Introductory" thread (if they even made one). I cannot speak for others; but, if I know I have asked and can't remember the answer off-hand, I check those two spots rathat than spend an hour searching random posts. If I don't find anything, I just ask again.

Better to play it safe. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

I'm sure you did, but those random comments can be really hard to find unless they are in the user's Profile or the first post of their "Introductory" thread (if they even made one). I cannot speak for others; but, if I know I have asked and can't remember the answer off-hand, I check those two spots rthat than spend an hour searching random posts. If I don't find anything, I just ask again.

Better to play it safe. 

Ah, I get it. I should put it in my profile lol. Save everyone the headache :P