Hello :)

Kal973

Hi people of the 17th Shard !

I'm 31, I'm French; I discovered the Way of Kings in april (it was a birthday gift from a special someone who knows the kind of books I love). I'm currently reading Words of Radiance (in English, I'm about halfway now).

I'm really happy that I found these books because I truly enjoy the universe, the storyline and the characters (all of them; I did first fall for Dalinar, then Kaladin, then Szeth, then Jasnah, (and Wit, of course !) but I do like Shallan and Adolin all the same right now, and I regret that we didn't have more of Eshonai). I like the originality of the world Brandon Sanderson has created, the way he writes his character's stories, and the epic battles  (when I reached the end of WoK, I couldn't stop reading ^^).  

I'm a huge fan of Margaret Weiss/Tracy Hickman and Robin Hobb.

And I don't really like George Martin's writing even if I'm following Game of Thrones on TV (he kills to much of his characters and, well, we all know that human nature is quite bad. I might want battles and blood and sufferings in a fantasy book, but I still want to find honor and oaths and duty alongside these things, because it doesn't exist anywhere else... and I think that Sanderson creates a good mix of it in his books !)

So I add him to my list, I know that I'm going to read everything he wrote. 

Otherwise I like to talk about what I'm reading with other fans and I don't mind spoilers (I usually read the end of a book before the beginning).

I hope my English isn't too lame, please excuse my mistakes, I'm quite fluent at speaking and reading it but the writing is more difficult ^^

Hi! You are French from where? I am French too, but from Canada  :)  I think there are quite a few people on the forum that don't have English as their native language, so I doubt your writing skill will impair you much. Besides, your written English sounds neat enough anyway.

If you are only half-way through WoR, please don't go into the forum's subsection: you'll get awful awful spoilers :o

Have you read any other Brandon's book? The guy has yet to write a bad book. Warbreaker is a nice one to read before or after WoR ;) Mistborn is a fan favorites.

Hey Maxal  ! I'm French from France (from Strasbourg but I live in Lyon right now).  

I've been living in French Guyana (it's located in South America, between Brazil and Suriname) for the past 2 years and I plan to return over there quite soon. 

Are you from Montréal ? (I've been travelling through Canada and the US last year and Montréal is such a nice place ^^).

Thanks for your advice. I have plenty of time for me this week so I plan to finish WoR soon ^^. To be honest WoK and WoR are my first Sanderson books. I've read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time but I stopped when he died (RIP) and I never finished the cycle...(shame on me).

I know that Brandon Sanderson is the one who completed the story but I sort of waited to long after the last book written by Jordan was published and I lost track of the storyline...

If you say so I'll probably buy Warbreaker after finishing WoR.

Hello Voidus  ^^.

Thanks for the cookie !

Hey Maxal  ! I'm French from France (from Strasbourg but I live in Lyon right now).  

I've been living in French Guyana (it's located in South America, between Brazil and Suriname) for the past 2 years and I plan to return over there quite soon. 

Are you from Montréal ? (I've been travelling through Canada and the US last year and Montréal is such a nice place ^^).

Thanks for your advice. I have plenty of time for me this week so I plan to finish WoR soon ^^. To be honest WoK and WoR are my first Sanderson books. I've read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time but I stopped when he died (RIP) and I never finished the cycle...(shame on me).

I know that Brandon Sanderson is the one who completed the story but I sort of waited to long after the last book written by Jordan was published and I lost track of the storyline...

If you say so I'll probably buy Warbreaker after finishing WoR.

Hello Voidus  ^^.

Thanks for the cookie !

Yep. I am from Montréal  :D  I am glad you enjoyed your stay :)  Our city is not as pretty as the old European ones (the old town is nice, but it is so desperately small... we had a mayor about 40 years ago who thought those old buildings needed replacement... the city was butchered to leave room for the ugliness of the 70s :angry: ), but apparently we are fun...

We have a good many fellows from France over here. Strangely, I have never been to France except for a few days in Paris.

You should definitely finish WoT. I for one discovered Brandon while reading his work for WoT. He has a different writing style than Robert and is more character oriented. He managed to make me like Rand again and I figured if this guy go pull out such a feat, than his regular work must be worthy of reading.

Warbreaker is a good complement to WoR ;) You'll see.

Maxal : Montréal is nice; so green, and people are really kind over there ! I'm always ashamed when I think about all those poor tourists that come to visit Paris. The city is beautiful, for sure. But the visitors are treated awfully by the locals. And French people are so bad with foering languages, even English ! I hope it wasn't too bad for you when you were there (might be easier as you speak french, though ^^).

Otherwise, I went to Toronto when I was in Canada, and to the Niagara Falls, too. It was amazing !

About WoT : I really can't imagine that I could like Rand again :lol:. If Brandon can manage that he's a kind of wizard !  

Queen Elsa Steelheart : Thank you so much :D . I would enjoy a donut !

Maxal : Montréal is nice; so green, and people are really kind over there ! I'm always ashamed when I think about all those poor tourists that come to visit Paris. The city is beautiful, for sure. But the visitors are treated awfully by the locals. And French people are so bad with foering languages, even English ! I hope it wasn't too bad for you when you were there (might be easier as you speak french, though ^^).

Well.... One of my colleague is from Paris and he is not kind with his home town.... I believe he called them jerks, even :o Well, maybe not jerks, but snobs? Pretending they do not understand the tourists? My parents were there and they had a hard time ordering a "croissant au chocolat" because apparently it is such a foreign pronunciation the lady could not understand they meant a "pain au chocolat" :o Made a good story though. My parents loved it anyway and they are going to the Côte d'Azur this fall :D

We are green? Alright. This is the first time I heard someone calling us green :o I was not aware we had so much trees... We keep complaining there is not enough of them... Heat islands and such. Foreigners perspective is always interesting.

It is true we are nice though :o:ph34r:B)

Otherwise, I went to Toronto when I was in Canada, and to the Niagara Falls, too. It was amazing !

Strangely, I have never been to Toronto... It does not have such a good reputation over here... :ph34r:

About WoT : I really can't imagine that I could like Rand again :lol:. If Brandon can manage that he's a kind of wizard !  

He truly is. Starting with book 6, I couldn't stand Rand with his desire to become strong and hard while keeping this ridiculous list of women who died for him... Brandon turned that over and wrote a much likeable Rand. How he managed than is beyond me though, but it is definitely worth you finishing the series.

Welcome to the 17th. Assume everyone here is crazy, unless they are members of the Dark Alley. They are completely trustworthy, and any cookies they offer you don't contain spikes and are beyond suspicion.  

Thanks for the cookie !

That was easy. 

• Chaos locked this topic