The Iridescent Tones, and the lack of a page

In the current version of the coppermind the Iridescent Tones are simply a part of the Hallandren page. This is weird as all the other religions on the coppermind have their own page. 

We have a lot of information about the Iridescent Tones, so it wouldn’t be a one sentence page, In all honesty I don’t really see why it doesn’t have its own page. It is heavily connected to Hallandren, but not so heavily that it must absolutely be part of that page. Any counter-arguments? 

51 minutes ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

In the current version of the coppermind the Iridescent Tones are simply a part of the Hallandren page. This is weird as all the other religions on the coppermind have their own page. 

We have a lot of information about the Iridescent Tones, so it wouldn’t be a one sentence page, In all honesty I don’t really see why it doesn’t have its own page. It is heavily connected to Hallandren, but not so heavily that it must absolutely be part of that page. Any counter-arguments? 

It's not the only religion to be incorporated into a larger page (Ker'reen and Los'seen come to mind, amongst others) but if Sliverism has a page, I'd imaging the Tones could have one.  Mostly it is a lot of work to collect all known information (page and chapter references, WoBs, etc.), and present that information in a coherent, unbaised fashion (or as much as possible - there are strict limits and reasons on use and presenting conjecture and assumption). That said, the Coppermind is always looking for volunteers, so if this a poject that speaks to you, then you should make an account on the Commpermind (accounts are not shared with the Forums), and check out the Coppermind Discord (separate from the Shard discord, since it focuses on updating Coppermind).

That's what I did for the White Sand Omnibus, and I am working my way through updating every White Sand page on the Coppermind to make sure they reflect the Omnibus changes (such as the finally-updated White Sand Summary). 

To me, I think I'd need to see an example of what a solo page of this could look like. Not every religion needs its own page, and I think its perfectly acceptable to have smaller ones be joined if there is an obvious "parent" article it can go in. For Sliverism, there kind of isn't that, because the time period it involves is past the Steel Ministry's existence. That one kind of has to be a solo article. 

There are lots of things that people could reasonably organize in different ways. I'm definitely open to seeing what a solo page of that would look like, but to my recollection the Hallendren page has most of the information I can remember. Like, here's a thing to consider: if there's a solo page for it, is there enough detail on the solo page that wouldn't just be in a summarization of Iridescent Tones stuff on the Hallandren page? We don't want stuff duplicated generally, but certainly when there is a "main page" that links to smaller topics, the bigger page talks a bit about it and then there's more detail on said subject on the smaller page. But we wouldn't want the exact same information on both, otherwise it's pointless to have people click and just read the same stuff.

One example I can recall is that we used to have a separate ardent page, which later merged with Vorinism. (In fact, there are a ton of very minor Vorin terms mentioned once or twice that were definitely suggested to be merged, too.) You could definitely make an argument for separating them, for sure, but almost with little editing, pasting it into a Priesthood section accomplished the same thing, and in my opinion makes the Vorinism page more whole. Reasonable minds will differ!

Anyway, feel free to try to draft up a version of a solo page for us to evaluate. I'm down to consider that, for sure! 

16 hours ago, Chaos said:

To me, I think I'd need to see an example of what a solo page of this could look like. Not every religion needs its own page, and I think its perfectly acceptable to have smaller ones be joined if there is an obvious "parent" article it can go in. For Sliverism, there kind of isn't that, because the time period it involves is past the Steel Ministry's existence. That one kind of has to be a solo article. 

It should be possible to provide that, although it might take a while

One example I can recall is that we used to have a separate ardent page, which later merged with Vorinism. (In fact, there are a ton of very minor Vorin terms mentioned once or twice that were definitely suggested to be merged, too.) You could definitely make an argument for separating them, for sure, but almost with little editing, pasting it into a Priesthood section accomplished the same thing, and in my opinion makes the Vorinism page more whole. Reasonable minds will differ!

The Hallandren page has almost no information or the Iridescent Tones, I would make a new page with all the new information and edit the Hallandren page to be about the Iridescent Tones’s role within Hallandren (Returned etc) 

Anyway, feel free to try to draft up a version of a solo page for us to evaluate. I'm down to consider that, for sure! 

I will be sure to do that! 

On 11/27/2023 at 4:48 AM, Chaos said:

To me, I think I'd need to see an example of what a solo page of this could look like.

I’m finally done! Please look up my user article on the coppermind for what it would look like: User:Nightstar The Bright

but to my recollection the Hallendren page has most of the information I can remember.

Boy are you in for a ride. There is so much information.

is there enough detail on the solo page that wouldn't just be in a summarization of Iridescent Tones stuff on the Hallandren page

Just… Yes.

Well I did exactly that, please feel free to write any critique you have here. I would like to ask you not to edit anything on that page yourself however. I tried not to go too much into the politics of the religion, but Hallandren is a theocracy, so it was a little hard to separate the political from the religious parts. 

• 1 month later...

Ooof, my December and holiday period was far busier than expected. I am so sorry for the delay!

Thumbs up from me on making a page, I definitely see what you are saying now, and in retrospect it's very obvious. This is great! 

I think my only concern is the History section. It seems to recount a lot of stuff that would, in my opinion, feel more appropriate for the Nalthis, Manywar, and Hallandren/Hanald pages. So I would try to focus to be solely about how the religion developed over those times, and cut out those other details. 

On 1/8/2024 at 12:03 AM, Chaos said:

Thumbs up from me on making a page, I definitely see what you are saying now, and in retrospect it's very obvious. This is great! 

Thanks!

I think my only concern is the History section. It seems to recount a lot of stuff that would, in my opinion, feel more appropriate for the Nalthis, Manywar, and Hallandren/Hanald pages. So I would try to focus to be solely about how the religion developed over those times, and cut out those other details. 

Yes I agree with you, I had my doubts about this part as well. I’ll edit it soon.

I removed a little bit of information, that which didn’t have anything to do with the Iridescent Tones. The truth is that the whole Kalad/Peacegiver thing about starting/ending the war is very important to the religion. Kalad is seen as something akin to the devil because of what he did, and Peacegiver is worshipped for ending the war. This just needs to be in the History section as it is very important to the religion. 

Let me know what you think of this new version, although it isn’t very different.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m afraid I’m going to start this up again. 

Like I stated above, I edited the page a little bit, if you want to have a look go to User:Nightstar The Bright on the coppermind. Does it look alright? Should I change anything and most importantly, if it is ready, can I make a page for it/place it on the coppermind?

While we’re not in a rush I would like to be able to place it on the coppermind, finish this thread and delete it from my user page. 

1 hour ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

Like I stated above, I edited the page a little bit, if you want to have a look go to User:Nightstar The Bright on the coppermind. Does it look alright? Should I change anything and most importantly, if it is ready, can I make a page for it/place it on the coppermind?

While we’re not in a rush I would like to be able to place it on the coppermind, finish this thread and delete it from my user page. 

It might be easier to get action if you mentioned this on the Coppermind Discord. Sorry I can't help, but the Tones redirect already points to the Hallendren page, so I think a Keeper needs to change that and make the new page blank, then you would be able to cut/paste your content. 

22 hours ago, Nightstar The Bright said:

Seems fine enough to me.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:12 PM, Treamayne said:

It might be easier to get action if you mentioned this on the Coppermind Discord. Sorry I can't help, but the Tones redirect already points to the Hallendren page, so I think a Keeper needs to change that and make the new page blank, then you would be able to cut/paste your content. 

Alright thanks. I’ll be sure to look on the discord next time.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:10 AM, Chaos said:

Seems fine enough to me.

Nice. But like Treamayne said, a Keeper first needs to change it so that the page doesn’t immediately redirect to Hallandren.

• 3 weeks later...