Who Does Google Think YOU Are?

KChan

So, today I found I link to the Google Ads preferences page. Now, normally this wouldn't be that great. I don't pay attention to ads - in fact, I block them. So why would I care if Google caters its ads to me or not?

And then I saw that it displays the information it's inferred about you based on the websites you've visited. And that's where the fun starts.

You see, Google doesn't always know best. According to my browsing history, for example, I am a male aged 18-24 years who's interested in shopping, fashion, and costumes. The costume part makes sense, and it got my age right, but I'm still trying to figure out why it thinks I'm male. Maybe it's all those hours spent on TVTropes and Cracked, but that doesn't explain how it thinks my two biggest hobbies are shopping and fashion.

So! Who does Google think YOU are?

mine says the exact same thing. Male 18-24, which is incorrect on the age part, at least. (but is closer than the wrong gender :P )

edit: dag, yo. I can't add multiple ages/genders. I wanted to see what ads are targeted at an 18-24 65+ male-female.

Google thinks I'm a male, too!

Age 18-24 - Okay, that's right.

And I like anime, manga (that's correct), fun tests and silly surveys (huh?), game systems and consoles, especially roleplaying (well, that's ok...) and online communities (forums, chats... ¿?).

Everything wrong is in red

Your categories

Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment -Comics & Animation - Anime & Manga

Arts & Entertainment - Comics & Animation - Comics

Arts & Entertainment - Visual Art & Design

Arts & Entertainment - Visual Art & Design - Arts Education

Computers & Electronics - Computer Hardware

Computers & Electronics - Computer Hardware - Desktop Computers

Games - Computer & Video Games - Shooter Games

Games - Roleplaying Games

Travel - Air Travel

Your demographics

EDIT: format issues

Edited by Emeralis00

XD It thinks I'm an 18-24 year old female, which is correct.

Arts & Entertainment - TV & Video - TV Shows & Programs - TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shows

Books & Literature - Writers Resources

Computers & Electronics - Software - Multimedia Software - Desktop Publishing - Fonts

Games - Roleplaying Games

Hobbies & Leisure - Crafts

Hobbies & Leisure - Crafts - Fiber & Textile Arts

Online Communities - Forum & Chat Providers

Shopping - Apparel

Those are actually all correct. There was one more that I took off of there the other day that was "Sports -- American Football."

I have no idea how that would have gotten on there... because Football is probably my least favorite sport... and I don't like sports to begin with. XD

That is, of course, because I spend all my time on YouTube looking up music videos (the only really good use for the site).

... you can see many anime series on YouTube, too. I tend to do that a lot.

Just wondering, is there any female who has her gender right?

Just wondering, is there any female who has her gender right?

It had mine right! but that's probably because I spend hours looking at DIY projects and crochet patterns...

and shop for women's clothing. >>

So apparently when Chrome crashed, it deleted its own tracking cookie or something. According to Google, I now apparently don't exist at all, since it claims I don't have any interests or demographic categories.

It's saying 18-24 Male for me too, which is a few years too young. Is there anyone who it doesn't think is 18-24?

Most of the categories were pretty accurate, but I have no idea why it thinks I'm interested in beauty & fitness.

I checked and it doesn't go lower. There probably isn't enough ads for a lower age bracket.

• Chaos locked this topic