World Idea I had: A ball of yarn.

PrestoTheMagnificent

(I posted this in my feed as well, cause I didn't notice this forum existed, haha)

Alright, came up with an idea for a fantasy world- Imagine a giant ball of yarn, big enough to be a small planet. (Maybe 0.7 cosmere standard, although this wouldn't be set in the cosmere.) The two magic systems here are Weavers and Cutters. Weavers (depending on the type) can turn blue yarn into water, yellow yarn into grain, green yarn into air, (etc) and weave the actual yarn that makes up the world into buildings. The world keeps getting smaller as the yarn is used. Cutters basically just destroy everything in their path, haven't thought much of them (think of them like using mindblades, kinda.) Couldn't get this dumb but interesting idea out of my head, so I wanted to share it with y'all!

It actually has potential. Instead if an individual cost to the magic, it's a collective cost(which I think is the most interesting part of this). You could probably drop the yarn premise and still have a solid world. The only problem is the Weavers sound a bit too much like soulcasters, but the method is different enough that you could probably pass it off. Overall, really nice! I like it

4 minutes ago, CuratorOTL said:

The only problem is the Weavers sound a bit too much like soulcasters, but the method is different enough that you could probably pass it off. 

Yeah, I thought of that too. I'm probably gonna change it a little bit.

5 minutes ago, CuratorOTL said:

It actually has potential. Instead if an individual cost to the magic, it's a collective cost(which I think is the most interesting part of this). 

Yeah, it is for me as well. The idea that the world would slowly whittle down to nothing is interesting to me. Dunno how the science of atmosphere and such works though.

2 hours ago, AltonicKeys said:

So what I'm getting is Weavers destroy the planet to create the world, and Cutters destroy the world to heal the planet? 

Yes, something like that! I'm gonna do this as my NaNoWriMo book for this year, so I'm gonna post the link to the docs I'm writing it in here, in case anyone wants to read it. I have some ideas for where the magic system will go, and I'm excited to right about it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oT9EtHs4oPvcmdxRWFg417FRXO-_wPhIN3m7hSL0ws0/edit?usp=sharing

On 11/3/2023 at 11:19 AM, AltonicKeys said:

The colorful woolly world is a little hard to think about and visualize, but I'll get there eventually. Prologue was exciting, I'm excited to see where this goes!

Thanks! Opened up a thread for updates on it, and I hope you enjoy it!

Edited by PrestoTheMagnificent