Spoilers for RoW... Why did Syl forget?

HathsinFlames

Why did Syl forget the Fourth Ideal Words? I mean the obvious answer is that she is becoming more... human? But I feel like that is too easy. Like, usually Brandon Sanderson has deeper things than that. I dunno though, because I don't really know what else it could be. 
Is it because of the time she spent away from Kaladin after the well fight? 

Welcome to the Forums.

On 9/9/2023 at 10:54 PM, HathsinFlames said:

Why did Syl forget the Fourth Ideal Words? I mean the obvious answer is that she is becoming more... human? But I feel like that is too easy. Like, usually Brandon Sanderson has deeper things than that. I dunno though, because I don't really know what else it could be. 
Is it because of the time she spent away from Kaladin after the well fight? 

Not just because they were separated, though that was a part of it. But also because of the Cognitive pressure of the suppression fabrial (re-read Lift's interlude when Wyndel describes what he is feeling).

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

Not that this actually played a part or not, but it's at least possible. Kaladin had known the words since OB. Syl knew he knew the words, and that he wasn't saying them. While I know that many windrunners didn't progress past the 3rd oath, and Syl was rationally aware of that, she had no Honorspren mentors to walk her through what that would mean or be like for her. On top of the suppression fabriel..and Kaladin's extreme uptick in depression that she shared through the bond..and the time she was too far away from him hiding in the well. Syl suffered a lot in RoW:(