Allomancy and Mists

Tulir

During my reread of the Mistborn trilogy, I noticed something in tHoA. Elend figured out that the mistfallen, 1/16 of the people that Snapped, could burn atium. Yet in AofL, there are 16 metal Mistings and Brandon aid that there are over 50 metals. So my question is this, why were the mists Snapping 1/16 of the Snapped people atium when atium is not part of the 16 original metals?

Any ideas?

To be more specific, Preservation apparently got rid of Cadmium/Bendalloy in favor of Atium/Malatium for the auto-snapping mists. My knowledge on this is incomplete, but it's also my impression that regularly snapped Atium/Malatium mistings also replaced Pulsers/Sliders in the original trilogy.

So are there still Atium mistings now? I'm not sure if it would still happen. I wish we had a more detailed explanation of how Preservation changed Allomancy. I still don't understand how precisely 16% of the people of Scadrial had Allomancy. Either the mists made more or left some people unsnapped, both of which seem equally unlikely.

So are there still Atium mistings now? I'm not sure if it would still happen. I wish we had a more detailed explanation of how Preservation changed Allomancy. I still don't understand how precisely 16% of the people of Scadrial had Allomancy. Either the mists made more or left some people unsnapped, both of which seem equally unlikely.

Assuming that Atium mistings were a wholesale substitutes for Cadmium mistings in the original trilogy, then there wouldn't be any anymore.

I can't recall the exact quote, but it's my understanding that mist-snapping brings out the fundamental Preservation that is in everyone, but that only nobles with Lerasium in their bloodlines have close enough to the surface to access through normal snapping. So everyone is a potential misting, if the mists snap them, but Preservation deliberately left 15/16 unsnapped so as to give a sign that there was a purpose behind the mist sickness.

Edited by Kurkistan

• Chaos locked this topic