Win 11 Discussion

Treamayne

I searched, and did not see a thread for this yet.

Pros? Cons? Thoughts, concerns, BGCs?

Is Win 11 nothing more than Apple Lite?

While I can mostly understand cosmetic change is, well, cosmetic; the biggest part of the Win11 experience to baffle me (so far) is the removal of almost every method to customize the experience. Am I delusional that one of the driving forces for Windows since the 90s was the ability to "customize my pc?" 

That seems largely absent so far. It's been almost 3 days since the change (and I promised myself a week of testing) and I already cannot wait to revert to Win 10 (which was already one of my least favorite "functional*" Windows versions). 

For those of you that may like Win 11, can you please articulate what you consider to be the "Pros" of Win 11? I'm hard pressed to find anything positive beyond the left-menu settings page (which is significantly better than the tile-based Settings menu; but still lacking from my POV)

*Note: I do not consider ME or Win 8.0 "functional."

My work migrated me over to it a couple weeks ago.  So far it's no better, no worse, for me.  I dont notice a significant decrease in my ability to customize the install. But to be fair you might indeed be crazy, Customization hasnt felt like it was present in Microsoft since the late 90's and barely even then; in fact that was the main motivation I've heard from those that jumped to Linux over the years.  Linux was the customizable one, Windows could "work" out of the box without all that effort.  

My Kingdom for a modern 64-bit version of Windows XP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 3:41 PM, Quantus said:

My Kingdom for a modern 64-bit version of Windows XP.

Here-here

On 7/25/2023 at 3:41 PM, Quantus said:

My work migrated me over to it a couple weeks ago.  So far it's no better, no worse, for me.  I dont notice a significant decrease in my ability to customize the install. But to be fair you might indeed be crazy, Customization hasnt felt like it was present in Microsoft since the late 90's and barely even then; in fact that was the main motivation I've heard from those that jumped to Linux over the years.  Linux was the customizable one, Windows could "work" out of the box without all that effort. 

Yes, Linux/Unix (etc) were always the kings of customization, but even in Windows (especially XP and earlier) if you knew where to find the settings you could change a lot (e.g. icon spacing for the desktop was just in display settings rather than an obscure registry entry with unintuitive values).

But what I was really driving toward, for example, is a new feature with A or B, where you cannot choose which is default. For example: File Options still lets you choose default view (This PC, Home, etc.) but for-no-reason-what-so-ever the new start menu does not let you choose to set "all apps" as the default view?

14 hours ago, OliviaF said:

It's always interesting to hear different perspectives on operating system updates like Windows 11. Change can sometimes be a mixed bag, with both pros and cons. While Windows 11 may have brought some visual changes and adjustments to customization options, some users might find its sleek design appealing.

It's not so much change itself that I find to be the problem, it's the steady drive toward (not just windows) defining my experience instead of letting me define my experience. New Toolbar - whatever. Take away the choice of docking it to the top, left or right - problem. I don't hate change nearly as much as I hate the theft of choice. If that makes sense to anybody but me. . .

• 3 months later...

It's true, the changes in the user interface can be a matter of personal preference. While some might view it as "Apple Lite," others might appreciate the more streamlined approach. The ability to customize your PC has been a beloved feature in Windows, and it's understandable that the removal of certain customization options can be disappointing.