Adapting Brandon's Work to other Media

So a little while ago, someone was saying that the game The Force Unleashed is basically what it would be like to be Szeth. I chuckled maniacally at this and then went on with my day.

Then I started thinking...wouldn't it be awesome if someone could actually make a game around the story of the Stormlight Archive? The more I think about it the more it appeals to me. The unique abilities of the Windrunners might be a little difficult to format to a user-friendly game but I think it's definitely doable. 

I imagine that the game would begin like the Way of Kings with Szeth murdering Gavilar. Szeth's storyline could be interweaved into the rest of the game, offering the player the chance to be fully "leveled up" and it would offer a view of what the "enemy" is doing. They could probably start Kaladin off when he is in the army and the story would follow him with occasional appearances from Dalinar, Adolin (and maybe Shallan?) and it would follow through till the end of Words of Radiance.

I don't know about you guys, but I would be interested to see this happen.

I was also wondering if anyone else had any ideas for how they might deal with certain problems in story or game design, or how other works by Brandon could be adapted into games or movies or tv shows.

I think that the different classes of KR would lend themselves well to a game! Having a limit of 2 surges at any one time limits the amount of buttons/keys needed to swap between. I think Stormlight Archive would be much easier in this way than designing and mapping a Mistborn character!

I disagree on the overall structure you've proposed, though. I think that with an amazing world like Roshar, I'd want to play as an original character, who I can shape on their way to becoming Radiant. Imagine if your actions actually dictated your options of which KR Order you end up in? Like, kill this character and Skybreaker is easier to attain, but you've also weakened your bond to Windrunners... What if you had to uphold your ideals or risk your powers' effectiveness dropping?

I'm picturing more of an open world game here, but your structure works well in the Force Unleashed vein of things - Szeth prologue instead of a Darth Vader prologue would serve to introduce you to your abilities and get you pumped!

I think Mistborn would function best as a TV show, like Game of Thrones with more casual use of powers thrown in. (I can't stand someone having a superpower, then not using it for 90% of their life. The movie Jumper, flawed as it was, showed this perfectly - if you can teleport, why would you ever use a door again?)

Edited by Goatborn

I'd love to see a Forger based game. My dream would be basically limitless application of the power. If you could imagine it, you could do it.

Sadly, that would probably abandon the principle of It-Must-Be-Plausible to be even remotely workable.

• Chaos locked this topic