predictions on Chekhov's Guns in Wok

CrazyRioter

(for those of you that do not know what a Chekhov's gun is see theTV tropes page)

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, in no particular order, not counting the ones that were already fired in WoK.

1) the flute Hoid gives to Kaladin, because come on, there's no frigging way that's not coming back! (PS I asked Brandon on twitter and he said Kaladin still has the flute)

2) Those two guys Elohkar was talking to in the prologue, Szeth thinks they weren't important, which just makes me even more sure they are or will be.

3) obviously the black sphere Galivar gives to Szeth, Brandon has refused to answer questions about it and said it's a "major big RAFO" which means it's clearly a major big Chekhov's gun.

4)Baxil's mistress who is almost definitely Shalash.

For point 2, it's been argued that they are Elantrians, members of the Seventeenth Shard. Given their presence (including of a Dula, who may be Galladon) in one of the interludes looking for Hoid, then this is basically confirmed.

As for the fourth point, I'm reminded of the fact that Amaram knows of the Ghostbloods, based on Chapter 51. That is probably another Chekhov's Gun.

Edited by Kaurne

Shallan's sword could fit a very lose interpretation... but it's hardly "hidden in plain sight", though I'm tempted to argue for it just because of how silly I thought some of the examples on the tv-tropes site are. Rather than a gun hanging on a wall it's a hidden side-arm that that's almost been drawn twice. So, just some foreshadowing really.

The Parshmen might be a sort-of "Chekhov's Army"

The quote didn't say "in the West", it said "west of Alethala". Which includes the far west, but isn't restricted to it.

But no one else in the other kingdoms found Urithiru yet and Shinovar is very isolationist for all we know.

And actually, Aimia (the big island) is farther west than Shinovar.

With bring me to my second point: I'm yet to give the book a second, closer reading, but do we know anything from that island? Or could it be the place where Honor is (in a way or another)? Shinovar would still be "the place nearest to honor" in the continent.

That could possibly explain why Szeth have that Blade, why the Stoneshamans seems so certain that they could retrieve the sword no mater what happens, why they hold warriors in the lowest station and things like that.

I've read a theory somewhere that puts Shinovar to Cultivation's domain/area. It sort of makes sense with all the lush wildlife there and the grass. Also, lots of honor is found on the battlefield, people thought that especially in medieval times, where honor was basically equated with war and they even had jousting and fighting tournaments when there wasn't any wars where honor was waged and won, and we've seen similar conventions with Adolin and his dueling. So if you look at it that way, it seems very odd that Shinovar would be a place of honor/Honor where warriors are so lowly of a social class. We have also seen that the farmers are of a very HIGH social class which feeds more into Shinovar being of Cultivation.

Also, if you think about it, the people of Alethkar/Alethala are the fighters, I believe this is mentioned in one of the visions(?) I forget exactly where, but the quote goes something along the lines of, "a group of people to grow strong and fight, fight so that the rest may live in peace..."

(This goes into my theory that the Thrill is NOT an Odium corruption but something built in to them either naturally or by Honor/Cultivation. The Thrill helps them fight, they feel less fatigued, and more strength to strike their foe down, also Kaladin does NOT feel the Thrill, which may suggest it is built into the light eyes only). I would argue that Dalinar's sickening feeling during the battle could be the realization of the corrupt use of the Thrill, which was (given by Honor? and) meant to be used to help them protect people but is used for simple killing, but i digress.)

For whatever reason that Radiants' home base could not be built in Alethala, why would they place it as far as possible from the battle front? It almost seems like the mountains in the middle of the map where Nighwatcher is supposed to be is as likely a place. People who go there seem to not talk about it with other people, they are secretive about the whole affair, and people in general don't pry, so it seem possible they are going into the ruins of Urithiru but don't talk about it so Urithiru remains "lost".

And... to contribute to the thread... (1)I feel Rock's abilities with the bow (although he's not supposed to have handled them) could play a part. and (2) GAZ!!!! and.. maybe (3) Hoid/Wit's apprentice, I forget his name

Edited by fiveAM

Ofc if you look at it another way shinovar isn't cultivation at all because they have dumb plants and get stormwater at all which has been proven to make stuff grow better and they don't even get life spren around growing things! (well they get no spren at all) if anything seems they are far from cultivation their stuff jst grows like normal stuff!

Quite sure the apprentice is sigzil

Also just to note, their culture of having warriors lowest would be normal progression if they were the land furthest from the only warriors in the lands...they woulda had a totally different focus!

Edited by Wispsy

what does "dumb plants" have anything to do with cultivation? it's not like the plants in the rest of Roshar are "smart". many flowers lean towards light sources does that make them smart? no it's just reaction to stimuli. the plants in the rest of Roshar have developed/evolved way to deal with highstorms, in Shinovar there are no highstorms, so wouldnt the plants be more "dumb" to be the same as the plants elsewhere? Also, Shinovar is a rich, fertile land where farmers are of high social status, meaning they hold importance to their way of life and therefore probably lots of farming happens there. Cultivation and farming are much closer to each other than any other occupation, and it is difficult to cultivate land that is ravaged by highstorms constantly. Just because the plants "grow normally" as you put it doesn't make the plants there less of Cultivation than the other plants.

Also, we don't know if spren are of Cultivation or not. Spren aren't limited to things that could be associated with Cultivation, there're firespren, windspren, even deathspren. Spren could be due to the interaction between Honor and Cultivation and Odium, or not have to do with them at all. So the absence of spren doesn't mean absence of Cultivation. Are there lifespren? I know there are deathspren but i don't recall any mention of lifespren.

sidenote: If there is Honorspren (ie. Syl) does that mean there could be Cultivationspren or Odiumspren?

Edited by fiveAM

what does "dumb plants" have anything to do with cultivation? it's not like the plants in the rest of Roshar are "smart". many flowers lean towards light sources does that make them smart? no it's just reaction to stimuli. the plants in the rest of Roshar have developed/evolved way to deal with highstorms, in Shinovar there are no highstorms, so wouldnt the plants be more "dumb" to be the same as the plants elsewhere? Also, Shinovar is a rich, fertile land where farmers are of high social status, meaning they hold importance to their way of life and therefore probably lots of farming happens there. Cultivation and farming are much closer to each other than any other occupation, and it is difficult to cultivate land that is ravaged by highstorms constantly. Just because the plants "grow normally" as you put it doesn't make the plants there less of Cultivation than the other plants.

Also, we don't know if spren are of Cultivation or not. Spren aren't limited to things that could be associated with Cultivation, there're firespren, windspren, even deathspren. Spren could be due to the interaction between Honor and Cultivation and Odium, or not have to do with them at all. So the absence of spren doesn't mean absence of Cultivation. Are there lifespren? I know there are deathspren but i don't recall any mention of lifespren.

sidenote: If there is Honorspren (ie. Syl) does that mean there could be Cultivationspren or Odiumspren?

The Shin seem to have a dualistic religion based on He-who-adds (good) and He-who-takes-away (bad). Makes sense with the Cultivation mentality. I think Cultivation is He-who-adds (they got the wrong gender) and Odium is he-who-takes-away.

I don't know which shard spren are for sure but there are life spren, they pop up around growing plants and stuff, usually after highstorm, when they are sucking up stormwater....which makes plants grow better...which is everywhere but shinovar. Most of roshar we see (apart from shinovar) is rock.... What's more impressive growing? Som grass on the only place that there is still dirt, or numerous different plants which manage to thrive in a land of ston and highstorms and aren't seen anywhere else in the cosmere.

How about looking at it this way, we see dirt and grass in all ye worlds with or without shards (except for a while on scadrial but it goes back) now on the world with a shard called cultivation you have abit of normal dirt

with normal grass, or you have crazy plants that manage to thrive on one of the harshest land we have ever seen....

it's not really about being impressive or not is it? It's not as if what i'm saying is that Cultivation effects only things in Shinovar. If we look at Scadrial, Ruin and Preservation's powers is seen everywhere. From the book we see that there is a place "closest to Honor". Also, there seems to be some implication that the Origin could be "a place close to Odium" though very debatable. So even if a place of Odium is not existent per se, if there IS a place of Honor, couldn't there also be a place of Cultivation? If that is the case, all I'm saying is that Shinovar seems more likely a place of Cultivation than the entirety of Roshar but Shinovar, being one and by elimination not a place of Honor. Also, yes, the crem could be of Cultivation, as it acts like some sort of fertilizer, but the highstorms don't seem to be of Cultivation, at least not ONLY of Cultivation.