On the nature of spirits and hion

Serack

So I saw some discussion comparing the hion to the Ire's investiture conduit in Secret History or "essentially wires" which I think are missing some points about the hion and spirits that seemed obvious to me so I'm going to write about them.

Here are a few relevant quotes, then some conclusions and theorizing.

The light spirit divided in half, one bright and a “friendly orange color” the other dull and blue. Chapter 4

As always, the spirit split into two to make the devices  Chapter 4

this time by way of a single lifting spirit underneath that took the physical shape of two statues, each with grotesque features, facing one another. One vaguely male crouched on the ground; one vaguely female clung to the bottom of the building. Though divided once made physical, they were still part of the same spirit. Chapter 2

And from the final epilogue:

Turns out, a number of the spirits liked being hion lines, and were persuaded to continue in that service-- with proper payment.

From this, I conclude:

1. When investiture on Komashi manifests on the physical realm and performs work (it's arcanum) it manifests as a dualist polarity, possibly inspired by Yin/Yang Taoism/Daoism (something I am largely ignorant about).  
  2. Hion is a specific manifestation of this dualist nature that closely resembles positive and negative conductors of an electric power source.  The investiture serves as a force much like voltage potential, pushing two opposite force carriers (i.e. positive and negative charge in electromagnetics) apart across the opposite colored hion lines and anyone can then perform work when the hion lines are connected to appropriate terminals on properly designed devices.  

As an electrical engineer, from there I want to start getting dirty with Maxwell's equations, determining if yes indeed there are no magnetic monopoles in this physics and all the other primary conclusions that come from them.  

I'm still drafting, but my AMA question about this book is:

How strictly does hion follow the rules of electromagnetism as understood in our world? Do you still allow for extra hand waving physics breaking beyond the obvious investiture/spirits providing the voltage source and conduction/transmission lines?

Put another way, is it still possible that close examination according to things like the Maxwell Equations would reveal magnetic monopoles or some other shenanigans, or can we just assume that an electrical engineer (like me) can plop down on Komashi and apply their knowledge about modern electricity and electronics almost 1 to 1 to using hion?

Edited by Serack

7 hours ago, Bremen said:

If Red/Blue function as +/- perhaps Yellow is Neutral or Ground?

This might be stretching the electromagnetism analogy too far, but I thought it was an interesting thought.

Ground can be where you put it in an electrical system so basically, either magenta or cyan can be ground.  

In the context of the spirits given in my OP it would make more sense if the hion were a simple DC system, but in AC systems, they are usually generated and transmitted on power lines with 3 phases that can conceptually be considered the vertices of an equilateral triangle.  From there they can be set up as "floating" with no defined ground (generally safer because if one is introduced, it just accepts it without really any ground fault current, and less chance of an injury) or grounded in any of a number of ways including a "y" ground you could consider the center of the previously mentioned triangle concept.

If you look at power lines through your town, they are almost always in floating sets of 3 with another ground wire physically above, below, or adjacent to it.  In the US, residential feeds off of these transmission lines are from a transformer between only 2 of the phases stepping the voltage down to 220VAC on the load side with a "center tap" defining the neutral as in the middle of that 220, with 110VAC from it to either of the other 2 lines.  It's difficult to define that "center tap" neutral without a device like the transformer to get it from.  In a DC system, and theoretically in the hion system, you could get it from the heating element described in the narrative by tapping from the center of it, however, any device you put across only one half of that center tap would throw off the balance some unless it were a trivial load compared to the heating element, or an equal load were also put across the other half.  

When considering/working with AC systems instead of DC systems, there are all kinds of weird ways it can be set up that are difficult to describe and even when worked with are usually reduced to working models that resemble Sanderson style magic systems (or perhaps you could turn that around since those are modeled after what-ifs deviating from real life physics).