Divine Breath enhancements

What happens to the person who gets healed by a Divine Breath?

Obviously they get healed but is there any other benefit?

That is a lot of investiture to be hitting the Spiritweb. Wouldn't the Breath fill up any cracks in the Spiritweb thereby forcing them wide open. What would that do to someone?

Brandon Sanderson

Because the Breath is... eh. How can I explain this? You are, yeah... So... So each Breath is a shade of deity, right?

Kurkistan

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

And each Breath incorporates into it this sort of idea of being endowed by the deity Endowment, correct?

Kurkistan

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

And so each Breath you hold brings you one step closer to becoming like that, and so what you're saying is... is "yes", kind of true, yes.

Kurkistan

But it's like within the Breath, not sitting off by itself—

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, yes yes exactly.

Emphasis mine:

OK, so this talks about being endowed by the deity Endowment. What exactly does this mean?

Hmmm, when Endowment...endows...he's investing people with a little bit of his Intent/Ideal.

Breath can be given to others because it fits this picture of endowing; when I endow, I give you something of value. In the case of BioChromatics, when I give you my Breath, I am giving you part of my innate Investiture. When Endowment Invested in Nalthis, it Endowed/Invested/gave the people of Nalthis Breath because this fits in with Endowment's Ideal. Endowment gives stuff a way to others, thus, it's investiture is based on giving things a way (in the most simple sense, though it's more complicated than that).

You could say, simply, that Investiture's different wavelengths are based on different Ideals (Honor, Ruin, etc); that is basically what the  Q and A Kuristan quoted is about. Different Shardic Intents are essentially the expression of these Ideals; so Endowment gives away because that is the expression of his Ideal...

So what would happen if a Returned decided to give their Breath to a healthy person? Would the Breath be wasted because nothing would happen or would the Breath tap some other Ideal form to give the recipient some other benefit?

Because it must do something. That's too much Investiture to only be able to accomplish one goal.

According to this:

CHEESE NINJA
Is it hypothetically possible to Awaken an object using a Divine Breath?
BRANDON SANDERSON
Yes
It's possible to Awaken with a Divine Breath, but one could assume that Awakening would be stronger (due to size of that Breath) due to the relative size of that Splinter compare to normal Breath. It would still be stupid to do so, since, you know instant-death for the Returned and all. Furthermore, I don't think we know exactly what would happen if a Returned gave all their Breath (including their Divine Breath) away...we only really know what happens when they heal someone, not what happens when they do something else...
Edited by Nymp

Perhaps the healing is just the default setting, similar to Lerasium and that a knowledgeable Returned could choose a different 'Ideal' to apply to the recipient of the Breath. Though I have no idea how the Returned could become more knowledgeable without killing themselves.

It's strongly implied in Warbreaker that being descended from a Returned helps you instinctively understand Awakening, and having a lot of breath also improves your understanding of Awakening.  I imagine that if the situation was correct, the God-King might be able to instinctively pull off the stunt you are describing, especially if doing so is part of why they returned in the first place.

• Chaos locked this topic