"You must find the most important words a man can say"

Gaz

When Gavilar tells Szeth to tell Dalinar to find the most important words a man can say, I think he was talking about the oaths of the Knights Radiant. 

Evidence:

Gavilar was trying to return the Voidbringers and according to Nalan the arrival of the Radiants brings the return of the Voidbringers.

The Oaths are the most important words a man can say: they make you to a Radiant

It worked: Dalinar studied The Way of Kings and tried to return the Knights Radiant.

• 6 months later...

Actually, I think Gavilar's dying words are something more:

The words the Heralds said, when the Oathpact was formed.

I've been wondering for a while if they will have to be effectively reformed in order to provide enough of a beacon to humanity (with Dalinar effectively leading them) to survive this Desolation Deluxe.  Remember, the Death Rattles mention only ten people against the storm, and we don't know yet how Taln (and/or the man claiming to be him) factor in, whether he'll retain his Heraldic duties or not.

Oh wow, I have no idea how I necro'd this.  I wasn't even using a search function. O.o

Edited by dvoraen

I'm pretty sure Gavilar's intention wasn't to bring back the Voidbringers, but rather the Knights Radiant. The Voidbringers were a means to an end- their coming back will also bring the Knights back in order to fight them.

My current theory (a common one) is that the Knights' appearance correlates directly to the Voidbringers'. Though which ones are the first to appear and trigger the coming of the others is still up in the air.

This is not in any way definitive, but ...

I'm pretty sure Gavilar's intention wasn't to bring back the Voidbringers, but rather the Knights Radiant. The Voidbringers were a means to an end- their coming back will also bring the Knights back in order to fight them.

My current theory (a common one) is that the Knights' appearance correlates directly to the Voidbringers'. Though which ones are the first to appear and trigger the coming of the others is still up in the air.

There are multiple hints that the coming Desolation is what caused the spren to return, which seems to be a precondition for knights.  So I would say the coming desolation triggers the knights. 

But what triggers the Desolation?  The death rattles, which Mr. T says started around when Gavilar started exploring the Shattered Plains and are supposed to be linked to one of the Unmade, suggest that it was Odium's timetable.   Gavilar told the Parshendi that he was going to do something, then later told Szeth that it was "too late," suggesting some action he might have initiated.  Did Pattern start working w/Shallan before the death rattles started?

Gavilar told the Parshendi that he was going to do something, then later told Szeth that it was "too late," suggesting some action he might have initiated.

Keep in mind, though, that he told Szeth "too late" when he thought Szeth worked for someone like Thaidakar. Upon hearing that he was from the listeners, Gavilar basically did a spit-take. It seems like whatever he was doing to bring back the "listener Gods" he assumed they'd be pleased. Granted, it's possible he assumed the listeners would be pleased, but that the Ghostbloods wouldn't.

On another note... I was listening to the WoR audiobook and before Gavilar dies he's talking to Amaram. What if the "brother" he is referring to isn't Dalinar but Amaram? He seems to have told him a whole lot more about stuff and Amaram is supposedly working towards something Gavilar wanted.

Or, just because I want to bake people's noodles, it was a Death Rattle.  We've seen similar "instructions" in the Death Rattles before, and they were fairly vague too.  ("He must pick it up, the fallen title! ..." to name one.)

Edited by dvoraen

An interesting theory and one I wish i could endorse cuz that would be AWESOME... however... most Rattles come with a moment of clarity and assurety, being spoken loudly and clearly even if the person had a speech impediment or had their torso crushed and shouldn't even be able to breathe. It is the last thing Gavilar says, but he "seems dazed" when he says it, he stutters and repeats himself, pauses halfway through. It would be fantastic if that moment were made even more weird by the addition of a Death Rattle, but it doesn't have the hallmarks of one.

Or, just because I want to bake people's noodles, it was a Death Rattle.  We've seen similar "instructions" in the Death Rattles before, and they were fairly vague too.  ("He must pick it up, the fallen title! ..." to name one.)

There seems to be a WoB jossing that.

Edit — found it:

OK, death rattles have been going on since about the time the Parshendi were first discovered. Soon after this, King Gavilar was killed, and he said something that sounds kind of nonsensical. Was that him talking, or someone else?

No, that was Gavilar.

Edited by mdmilosz

See, here's the thing.  If I want to be a conspiracy theorist about that WoB, it's got some wiggle room to it.  What's stopping Gavilar from having had an Honor-based moment of precognition at the time of his death?  We know it's possible, yet it's imperfect.  We also don't know what the (Void?) sphere he possessed was about, either, whether Gavilar's been dabbling in Void arts or not.

Plus, it's technically true that Gavilar was the one talking, and not 'someone else' (Moelach); the words came from his mouth.

To put it differently: I just find it weird that Gavilar, who from what we know did not confide anything to Dalinar, suddenly is leaving his brother messages.  If it was really meant for Amaram as another user posted, that 'brother' was not a familial reference but 'comrade in purpose', that's of course different.

"He must pick it up, the fallen title! ..."

Does anyone else believe that this refers to either Dalinar or Kaladin picking up the pieces of Honour?

This could be construed so many different ways, yes it could mean Honor or it could mean the KR names.

I can definitely see Kal and Dalinar becoming....something. Beacons, rallying points.. Maybe even clashing. It's to early to say.

The problem is the Death Rattles most of them anyway are incredibly vague and leave lots of wriggle room for Brandon to TROLL us.

That's true. Hell, it could even mean Taravangian taking over Jah Keved.

I still think it refers to Honour though, or maybe even Adonalsium (and the person picking it up would probably be Hoid).

That's true. Hell, it could even mean Taravangian taking over Jah Keved.

I still think it refers to Honour though, or maybe even Adonalsium (and the person picking it up would probably be Hoid).

This is a Hoid Tidbit from a WOB: 

Christian Jäggi

Can you give us any hint what Hoid is, and if youll ever tell us his whole story? @BrandSanderson

Brand Sanderson

@jaggi_christian You will get the whole story someday. He is a person who turned down what others accepted eagerly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many believe what he turned down was a Shard.

Here is the like to the theory hope you find it interesting.  http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/21916-hoid-tidbit/

Edited by WEZ313

Now, that answer  "He is a person who turned down what others accepted eagerly" suggests to me that he would make an ideal person to be God. Not A God like Honour, Odium, and so on, but THE God, or perhaps the personification of Adonalsium. Someone who doesn't want the power is probably the best person to have the power, as they won't abuse it.

I note the line from Brandon Sanderson in the thread you linked to. Hoid has no interest in the shards, "in the state they are in".

If you ask me, Hoid and Mraize (or maybe Ilyta) are in a race to see which of them can gather the various powers that be together in order to make a play for Adonalsium itself.

We already know Hoid has a number of abilities, and when I think about it, there is one line in particular that makes me think Mraize is on the same page as Hoid. The line (when using the Parshendi blowgun in front of Shallan) about learning all about local weapons. It would be easy enough to dismiss this as an interest in weapons, like the blowgun, but if you think about it and introduce Worldhopping, it gives a very different suggestion, especially when it becomes clear that various items in Mraize's meeting room are from other Cosmere worlds - Idrian locks, for example.

• Chaos locked this topic