Lucid Dreaming

Zenith

The spoiler has an introduction to Lucid Dreaming inside, which I might have gone overboard on :P. If you already know about Lucid Dreaming, you can skip the spoiler. It also contains a glossary of terms and abbreviations, so you can use that if you need to.

Now, some of you here will recognize me - many won't. I'm a lurker for the most part, but I'm also a Lucid Dreamer. At this point I can practically hear most of you saying "What the heck is Lucid Dreaming?" Well, simply put, a Lucid Dream is a dream in which you are aware that you are dreaming. Now, don't call me crazy, these are real, scientifically proven to be real. These dreams can be consciously controlled and shaped however you want. You ever wanted to be an Allomancer? Go for it. Thought Windrunning was really cool? Go and do it. You wanna know the best part? High level lucid dreams are so realistic it feels like you're there. You can taste, smell, hear, feel, see everything just like you're in waking life. It's truly a one of a kind experience, and it's absolutely free.

That's right. You need absolutely no supplements, books, devices, anything you need to lucid dream can be found on the internet, which I'm assuming all of you have access to, as you're reading this post now. Of course, some of you are probably thinking "That's all fine and good, but I don't even remember my dreams! How can I enjoy Lucid Dreaming if I don't dream?" Well, that is a little problem, but one that's easily solved. First you need to change your own perceptions. No matter how certain you are that you don't dream, or can't remember them, you always dream at night, and it's easy to remember your dreams if you apply yourself. Dreaming, and Lucid Dreaming is all about your expectations. Now, starting to remember your dreams is easy. You need one thing to really, seriously begin remembering your dreams, though, and that's a dream journal.

Laugh, and scoff, and call it silly or whatever, but a Dream Journal is vital to your success as a Lucid Dreamer. A Dream Journal can be anything. I use pen and paper, some dictate theirs, some write theirs on the computer. But, to truly understand the importance of a Dream Journal, let's make a comparison I've heard once. A Dream Journal is to a Lucid Dreamer as a gym is to a bodybuilder. If a bodybuilder goes to the gym, but doesn't challenge himself, his muscles are going to weaken. In the same respect, writing little to nothing in your dream journal will result in little to no dream recall. If a bodybuilder goes to the gym and always does the exact same thing, with the exact same weight, he won't progress, but neither will he worsen. The same applies to a Dream Journal. Your recall won't improve as fast, and will likely stall after a certain point, and your dreams will not be as vivid. Yet, just as a bodybuilder will get muscular with consistently challenging himself, so will your dream recall improve. Write down everything in your dream journal. Colors, textures, tastes, even vauge feelings or thoughts that you have. Write them all down, and your dream recall will improve drastically. You will be getting longer, more realistic dreams. Well, realistic isn't the right word, although you may be tempted to call it that. Vivid is the term more commonly used, and refers to sharper senses, looking, feeling closer to reality. Realistic more refers to the content of the dream, if you ask me.

Of course, some might still say "I don't remember anything from my dreams, anything!" Not a problem at all. First of all, write down in your Dream Journal that you didn't remember anything. It's the intent that's important. You're training your brain to pay attention to dreams. Of course, that may not feel like enough for some people. A simple exercise I use, and find quite effective, is to repeat to yourself "I will remember my dreams vividly" in your mind before bed each night. This is a simple technique you can use to set your intention before bed. Remember what I said earlier - expectation is everything in Lucid Dreaming. Intention, expectation, belief is what's really important.

Still, you're probably wondering how to get Lucid. Well, increasing the Vividness of your dreams can get you Lucid all by itself. Of course, chances are you'll want something else to help you. Well, we have things for that too. Another easy, handy tool for Lucid Dreaming is called Reality Checking. A Reality Check is something you perform to ensure you're dreaming. A simple, effective reality check is to plug your nose, close your mouth, and breathe. In a dream, you'll breathe normally, in reality, you'll, well, not breathe :P. Another good one is to look at text of any sort, look away, and then look back. Many people find that text in a dream changes oddly, although I find that one is not as effective. Another one that worked for me just last night is to look at your hands. Hands often behave oddly in dreams. For instance, I checked last night and my left hand had three stubby fingers and a thumb. Some people also find that their palms look odd in their dreams. Reality Checking a few times throughout the day, especially when you find something odd or different, can lead to you reality checking in dreams, which usually leads to you becoming lucid.

Another thing to watch for are Dream Signs. These are a little different for everyone, so I won't be able to tell you just what your Dream Signs are. A Dream Sign is a recurring theme in your dream, be it you're in a video game, doing something, or even seeing someone or something. Do a Reality Check when encountering your dream signs, and keep them in mind before going to sleep. Knowing your dream signs can help you becoming Lucid as well, so search your Dream Journal for recurring themes.

Those are just the basics, though. There are a multitude of other techniques beside. I've being introducing mostly DILD (Dream Induced Lucid Dream) techniques, as these are some of the most basic techniques that should be applied regardless of whatever else you're doing. Another technique along the same lines is DEILD (Dream Exit Induced Lucid Dream). Now, that name probably sounds a little...off. How can you have a Lucid Dream when you wake up? It's really quite simple. Most, if not all DEILD methods have one thing in common: don't move, don't even open your eyes when you wake up. One method is to count to 30, and imagine yourself rolling over, really feel the movement. This should help you 'roll over' into your dream body, and into a dream. If this doesn't work (or you open your eyes or sit up straight like I tend to do when waking), always reality check right after waking up. Why? Let me give you an example. I had just had a Lucid Dream - I was flying through the atmosphere, and I woke up. I, for once, managed to keep still when waking, and was halfway through counting to 30 when I woke up again! This is called a False Awakening, and it's more common than you might think.

Waking up is actually used as a basis for many Lucid Dreaming techniques. A very common technique is called WBTB (Wake Back to Bed), which consists of waking up 4-6 hours after you go to sleep, staying up for a little bit, thinking about Lucid Dreaming, Reality Checking, etc. Now, there's a reason you do this - focusing on Lucid Dreaming before bed, reading up on it, etc. can help you get Lucid regardless, but it really helps in WBTB. I'm going to get a little sciency here, so stay with me: You wake up in between a phase of sleep called REM sleep - REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement, and REM sleep is when you dream. By waking up in REM sleep, you can go straight from your waking state more readily to a dream. Thus, many techniques involve waking up like this.

One of the most famous Lucid Dream induction techniques is WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream). I will give warnings about this technique beforehand: this is an advanced technique, and should only be attempted after you have a couple of Lucid Dreams. WILD is often seen as the holy grail of Lucid Dreaming, and there's a reason for that. WILD is the art of going straight from waking life to a Lucid Dream. It should only be attempted after WBTB, or before a nap (It's theoretically possible to do just before going to bed for the first time, but is really, really hard, as you have to go through other phases of sleep before getting to a dream. I would advise only attempting this after a really, really long day). WILD is essentially staying still, while repeating a mantra, or watching the imagery before your eyes to keep your mind awake while your body falls asleep, thus landing you in a Lucid Dream. I mentioned imagery - most people report having colors, shapes before their eyes, and some even have sounds and sensations. While I don't see the imagery much, others report vivid shapes, colors, and even scenes while attempting WILD. I've managed WILD on one occasion I can recall. I was really tired, and there was a sudden falling sensation, and suddenly I was standing on my feet, dressed in actual clothes, not pajamas, in the cafeteria of my High School. It was a very vivid dream, although I woke up soon after :P. There is one drawback(ish. Depends on your point of view.) of WILD - Sleep Paralysis. Sleep Paralysis is what keeps us from acting out our dreams each night. In Sleep Paralysis, you cannot move, and many report scary sensations of a person in the room, something on their chest, etc. This is only scary if you make it - it is accessed naturally through sleep, but most only experience it when attempting WILD or other such techniques. To make it, well, not scary, just imagine the presence or whatever is there to help you come into a Lucid Dream. A Lucid Dream is really easily accessed through Sleep Paralysis, so keep that in mind if it happens to you.

There are many more techniques out there, and I won't list them all, because this post is getting long and I have much more to say. If you want to know more, and probably have better explanations, search Lucid Dreaming. You'll find many sites out there (I use LD4All myself), and they can give you better guides and explanations.

Now, there are a few things you should do in the dream before doing whatever you want. First, you need to stabilize the dream. There are a few ways to do this. Spinning around works nicely, as it gives sensation and anchors you to your dream self. Another is to shout something along the lines of "Lucidity times 1000!". I find shouting works surprisingly well in dreams, and can often help you out.

Let's talk a bit about problem solving in dreams. Think of creative ways to solve your problems if conventional ways don't work. Say you can't move a wall or go around it - just eat it instead! Anything is possible in a dream, so go nuts! Sometimes you find straight up willpower won't get you anywhere. If, for whatever reason, you can't turn into a dragon, and really want to, just drink a potion to do it! Sometimes, working with the dream, and working around your problems can solve things.

Here's a quick glossary of terms and abbreviations you might see in discussion. I'll add more as I need to.

LD: Lucid Dream, a dream in wish you are aware that you're dreaming.

RL/WL: Real Life/Waking Life, self explanatory :P

RC: Reality Check, something done to assure yourself that you're dreaming/in reality

DJ: Dream Journal, where you write your dreams down to increase your dream recall

MILD: Mnemonically Induced Lucid Dream, an induction technique

WILD: Wake Induced Lucid Dream, a technique that has you go straight from wakefulness to a dream

DILD: Dream Induced Lucid Dream, whenever you become lucid in a dream not from another technique

DEILD: Dream Exit Induced Lucid Dream, a technique used to enter a dream from when you wake up

Spontaneously Lucid: When you become lucid inside a dream without reality checking or anything, you just are.

So, any other Lucid Dreamers on this forum? For those of you that haven't yet, I can say that it's really, really cool, and a one of a kind experience that is, well, truly one of a kind. Having everything in your control is a bit mind-boggling, especially when it's almost as vivid (or even more vivid) than waking life.

That's what this is called? I always just called Controlled dreaming. My "Reality check" (I just called it 'The thing that tells me if I'm dreaming') is simply using some sort of physical power. Usually Alchemy, from FMAB. I figured out how to Lucid Dream when I was 10. I had a fever and got stuck in bed for a day, and just learned to control the fever dreams.

My friends and I have been experimenting with shared Dreamspace. We've been trying to all lucid dream at the same time, and enter each other's dreams. So far, we haven't made any progress.

But what brings this up?

Edited by The Only Joe

Maybe I'm just a natural dreamer, yet not a serious (hardworking) one...  I definitely have lucid dreams every now and then, but usually I only choose to control things in the predetermined setting, not change that setting.  Hmm...wonder if next time I have one I'll think about it and decide to make really sweeping changes!

When I was younger, I had even wackier dreams.  Is there a gradient/scale to lucid dreaming?  Sometimes I would know I was dreaming, but just watch and go along with the ride anyway because it was so strange, and other times I'd actually make real choices.

Also, anyone have a waking dream?  Sometimes I'll fall asleep while napping on the sofa, and the next thing I'll swear people are walking nearby or talking in the other room, and they're people not even in my house (like people from my past), who live miles and miles away.  When I really wake up, I realize that I was dreaming about napping on the sofa and these people walking/talking nearby but that it was just a dream that felt like real life.  I've heard about sleep paralysis, which usually really freaks people out, but I've never been scared during those episodes.

Yeah, I remember one rather vivid episode from when I was a kid where I dreamt I heard my parents talking about me just outside my door as I was getting up. I confronted my mother about it, and she just gave me a confused look, as well as a verbal beatdown for the language I used. I had to backpedal pretty quickly for that.

Yeah Traceria, lucidity does come in a scale. There's nothing official, but there are times when you can really clearly tell you're more/less lucid than others. In 'lower level' lucid dreams it's often like you describe, when you just sorta go along with it and don't do what you wanted to, and higher level lucidity can (reportedly) feel more vivid than real life. I've never gotten that lucid myself, but that's what many people describe.

In regards to what Swimmingly said, yeah dreams are weird like that. Sometimes they're so vivid that you would have sworn it was real, and other times you just have nothing to say but "lolwut" it made so little sense.

I've brought up my cosmere-related Lucid Dreams from time to time, and they're really quite a blast. Combining Steelpushes with Lashings gets some rather strange results, and Rithmatic duels really are just as fun to participate in as they are to read about. According to these statistics I have on a speech I wrote two years back around one in five people lucid dream naturally, even if they don't have a name for it, so well done Joe, looks like you won the 20% lottery :). For those who haven't tried it or have given up on it, give it a few tries. It's hard to get working, but it's totally worth it when it works.

Also, anyone have a waking dream?  Sometimes I'll fall asleep while napping on the sofa, and the next thing I'll swear people are walking nearby or talking in the other room, and they're people not even in my house (like people from my past), who live miles and miles away.  When I really wake up, I realize that I was dreaming about napping on the sofa and these people walking/talking nearby but that it was just a dream that felt like real life.  I've heard about sleep paralysis, which usually really freaks people out, but I've never been scared during those episodes.

That could either be just a dream about sleeping, or it could be the aforementioned sleep paralysis. If you hold still for long enough, your body will start testing to see if you're awake. First with itches and tingling, and then with visual and audio halucinations. These usually aren't very scary, and are probably what you're talking about. As a final test before entering its "dream mode", the body temporarily flares the fear section of the brain. If it doesn't make you flip out and flail around, the body deems you asleep and begins dreaming. Lasting through this is actually how you can get the most vivid of lucid dreams.

That's what this is called? I always just called Controlled dreaming. My "Reality check' (I just called it 'The thing that tells me if I'm dreaming') is simplpy using some sort of phyiscial power. Usually Alchemy, form FMAB. I figured out how to Lucid Dream when I was 10. I had a fever and got stuck in bed for a day, and just learned to control the fever dreams.

My friends and I have been experimenting with shared Dreamspace. We've been trying to all lucid dream at the same time, and enter eachother's dreams. So far, we haven't made any progress.

But what brings this up?

Somehow didn't see this post...

Anyway, that's really cool. I wish I was a natural, trying to learn it is, well, a lot of work :P. Shared Dreamspace is one of those things that's really out there - some say it exists, some deny it. Nothing's been proven yet, so it'd be awesome if you could finally prove it one way or the other.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were other LDers on the 17s. It's kind of interesting to see others outside of a designated Lucid Dream site. As far as I knew, Observer and I were the only people I really knew were into Lucid Dreams and were actively trying to have them. Try bringing it up in conversation sometime - most of the time people give a polite "cool" and change the subject, so it's refreshing whenever you can have good discussions about it at all.

Hmm.

Is what I do lucid dreaming? I'll be dreaming (my dream last night was in a fantasy setting, I may write something about it on another thread) and I'll be stuck in the setting (to some degree, I can aspects of it if I want to (In my fantasy setting dream there was something that didn't look very... "fantasical." so I changed it to a stone brick wall or something to make it fit), but I can't change the whole setting of the dream.

When I was younger I got the sleep paralysis thing a lot, I can remember dozens of dreams where it was just impossible to move within it, and I was scared out of my wits. It doesn't happen so much anymore, and I can change things and control the way my dreams go more.

-

Another thing I do is kinda odd. I'll wake up to my alarm clock, set it to go off again in like half an hour. I'll fall right back into the dream I was having and I'll have more control of it. I did this several times in a row this morning, actually. I also remember my dreams really well without writing anything down. As I mentioned previously, I may write stuff from this particular dream. It was pretty awesome, if you ask me.

I also don't really have a "reality check." On some level I know I'm dreaming, otherwise I couldn't change things the way I do, but I don't check at all. I just kinda throw myself into the setting of the dream.

Edited by Kal Dell

I think I'd tentatively categorize those under Lucid Dreams. At first I thought that they weren't, as there are some dreams in which you do things like that (like when you dream about being Lucid, called a False Lucid Dream), but you say you know on some level you are. You don't have to reality check to make it a Lucid Dream, there are many dreams where you just are lucid when you begin the dream. So, I'd say those are lower-level lucid dreams. Despite what others might say, I can tell you from experience you're more lucid in some dreams than in others. You're describing a very low-level of lucidity, which you could probably turn to a higher, more conscious level with a little effort, so go for it :).

Cool.

-

Another random thing, this kind of dreaming is when I world-build the most. (Like creating the huge amount of elements that go into a fantasy world and universe) I don't world-build while I'm awake, mainly, I do it while dreaming. A couple nights ago I had a dream about a magic system; last night I went to sleep thinking about it. My dream last night was in a fantasy world with that magic system integrated into it. I altered elements of it as I was dreaming (like the architecture, to make it more "fantastical." but mostly it just worked by itself. I'm going to start actively trying to create situations where that happens so I can refine my world-building inside of dreams.

-

Seriously, though. Those sleep paralysis dreams? Freaky stuff, man. I hate those things with a burning passion.

I honestly doubt that there's such a thing as Shared Dreamspace, because there just isn't any mechanism in the brain or body capable of transmitting that level of detail between two people. Unfortunately, brains don't have WiFi cards.

Look, I keep the software upgraded, as much as I can without the bloat running down my machine, anyway, but the hardware's ancient and I frankly don't have the time or money to add or replace many components. It took forever just to optimise the interface device for communicating with silicon hardware-based systems, and I can still only get text commands across.

It's nice to find some fellow dreamers!  My mom is one of the only other people I know of who has really vivid dreams that she remembers on a regular basis.  Meanwhile my husband, dad, brother and so on all find it really odd and rather amazing that we can recall so much.  I'm pretty sure my mom would be capable of lucid dreaming without too much effort.  Knowing some of what she's told me, I can recall hints of it in how she's told me about her dreams in the past.

Thanks for answering the question about scales/levels, Zenith. :)  

If anyone has a cool lucid Cosmere dream, definitely share!

• 2 months later...

I totally had a lucid dream earlier in the week.  I distinctly recall lying there planning out the plot and making it happen, though now I can't remember the details.  :rolleyes:

I also had a dream a night or two later that was in full color.  I know at some point in time it was widely believed people dreamed only in black and white.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely have color dreams, this just being the most recent and best remembered.

Oh cool I really need to try this stuff. I ll copy and paste a post I wrote on Malazan Boards next time I go on the PCs. Controlling the dreams I wrote about would benefit me in 2 ways as I think y'all will see when I paste it.

There's prob some F bombs so I will try to edit it. We don't have to check our language there lol.

This is what I posted there:

Can anyone tell me the meaning of these dreams???

For months Ive been having these kinda cool but really weird and sad dreams. Let me say that Im not really an emotionally expressive guy when it comes to saddness. I can honestly say the last time I had a true cry was the day my mom died in Jan 08 and even that wasnt a very long event.

So the basics of these dreams, they are different settings but the same themes, is pretty much a standard team superhero flick. Im in a group fighting a villian or hazaradous environ. The cool part is that I have some form of TK I use in either a shielding mode or an asskicking flinging mindbolt mode. The cool part is that it feels Fbombing good. I can feel myself channeling these powers and I can feel the actual powers themselves when I sling/shield them. Like I said its really cool cause it just feels incredible senseing this.

Now for the bad part, everytime I have these cool power dreams toward the end something happens where Im either trying to protect an object or a person with these powers and I start to feel a crushing saddness. It dosent matter if Im successful in protecting or failing to protect the thing it happens. In the dream Im balling my eyes out, screaming, and having the sensation of this utter chest crushing squeeze. In the dream my throat is raw because Im screaming and sobbing so forcefully. Im actually surprised no one in my house has said theyve heard me screaming at night cause when I wake up from these in the middle of the night it feels like i have been shouting and crying.

That is so weird to feel both utter joy and saddness at the same time. Does anyone know the meaning of dreams and what this is suppose to mean?           

End Paste:

Sorry if I didnt get all the language edited.

I also left the question in what do these dreams mean since there seems to be dream experts in this thread.  Control would help in 2 ways. The TK stuff just feels great and Id love to explore that with control, and the 2nd thing is to take that dread/saddness feel away. I still have no clue what that is or where it comes from.

• 4 weeks later...

Huh. I've never heard about this before. I'll try it tonight. You've made me want to go to sleep earlier. :P

Does one need a terangreal to enter tel-aran-rhiod?

Edited by Steel

• 2 months later...

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/01/20/ever-wake-up-and-think-see-ghost-here-what-happening/?intcmp=features

So, stumbled upon this.  It's not Lucid Dreaming, but somewhere (must not have been this site but another I'm on) I was part of a conversation about Sleep Paralysis.  Interesting and yet freak to experience.

I have been a Lucid Dreamer since I was 6-7 years old. I Learned to do it on my own to overcome nightmares, to defeat the enmies within my dreams.

I remember most of My dreams anymore. Unless utterly exhausted, I am always aware of my dreams. I also have the ability to sleep in a half state where I am also aware of what is going on in the real world while I am also dreaming and to be able to respond to things going on around me in the real word and KNOW I am doing so.

That's rather cool!  

I definitely talk in my sleep.  My husband recounted a conversation I had with him just last night when he came into bed.  While totally asleep, I asked him about tupperware, he answered me and I responded again.  I do this every now and then and don't ever seem to recall those conversations.

I somethings think I'm aware of the real world while sleeping (usually napping), but when I fully wake up, I realize I had more of a waking dream/sleep paralysis like episode instead.  What has clued me into the difference between those times and knowing I'm in the real world is that sometimes I think people are there that couldn't possibly be, like an old roommate who lives in another state.  While sleeping, will think she walked by to go into the kitchen or something.

Dreaming and sleep are definitely fascinating things.

That's rather cool!  

I definitely talk in my sleep.  My husband recounted a conversation I had with him just last night when he came into bed.  While totally asleep, I asked him about tupperware, he answered me and I responded again.  I do this every now and then and don't ever seem to recall those conversations.

I somethings think I'm aware of the real world while sleeping (usually napping), but when I fully wake up, I realize I had more of a waking dream/sleep paralysis like episode instead.  What has clued me into the difference between those times and knowing I'm in the real world is that sometimes I think people are there that couldn't possibly be, like an old roommate who lives in another state.  While sleeping, will think she walked by to go into the kitchen or something.

Dreaming and sleep are definitely fascinating things.

Call me crazy, But I beleive in these things and have experienced them myself. I have even had comfirmed experience with other individuals with the same abilities...

What sounds like you may have experienced was either an Out of body experience, where your spirit or Mind was where your old roommate lives. Call it spiritual or Psichic abilties or what have you. I personaly know these things are posibile. Very dificult to control and duplicate, but very real. The person(s) on the other end have to be equaly receptive to know you are there and r communicate with you on the same level.

Having a shared "Lucid Dream" being ony one means of such communication.