Final Empire Finale Allomancy

Lighteyed Lieutenant

I'm realativly new to Mistborn, and I just finished the 1st book. I mostly understand the rules of Allomancy, but I have some questions regarding the fight between Vin and the Lord Ruler. I know that you can't use Allomancy on metal touching someone's body (like how you couldn't kill an Inquisitor by pulling the spikes out of their bodies), but how did the Lord Ruler use Allomancy on the metals in Vin's stomach? Was it because of his increased power of combining Allomancy and Feruchemy? Or something different? Or was it just something I missed?

34 minutes ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

Or something different? Or was it just something I missed?

Most of this is explained over the course of books two and three. Just as the characters (like Vin) didn't really understand what happened there either, you aren't supposed to "get it" yet. (minor Spoilers)

Spoiler

Suffice to say that there is a bit of "unreliable narrator" going on, in that some of the "rules" the characters take for granted are not as steadfast as they think - as shown in Chapter 31 when Vin proves to Kelsier that she can pierce a Coppercloud (which he thought impossible - and you will find out why she can do that over books 2 and 3)

Bigger Spoiler

Spoiler

What normally happens is that Investiture resists investiture - so, all things equal, a normal misting or mistborn would not be able to affect metal in somebody's body (since the part of Preservation in everybody is also Investiture - called "Innate Investiture"). There are ways to change that (not just "I'm stronger") part of the equation and much of the Lord Ruler's "power" was because he knew and could take advantage of some of those methods.

You will also learn more of Preservation in the next two books

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

Ok, thank you! I have books 1, 5, 6, 7 but no 2, 3, or 4...:(

Everything will make sense when I get there...

I don;t know if you have yet read any other works in the Cosmere, but if you planned to read more than just Mistborn, you may want to check out some of the many reading order threads, like this one.

I would not recommend you move on to Shadows of Self until you get a chance to read Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages to finish the first trilogy.

25 minutes ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

Thanks for the advice. I have read all 4 current books of Stormlight, but not much of the rest of the Cosmere.

If you don;t yet have WoA, HoA or AoL; do you have any of the other Cosmere works? You could easily read Warbreaker, Elantris or Emperor's Soul (which is in Arcanum Unbounded if you have that for Edgedancer) while you wait to get the rest of the Mistborn books.

Yeah, I'll probably go for those while waiting on Mistborn.

The hard thing about borrowing from the libary is that Brandon's books are so long that it takes other people forever to read + return them.

I waited for Oathbringer for 6 months before just buying the book because I didn't want to wait any longer.

5 minutes ago, Lighteyed Lieutenant said:

Yeah, I'll probably go for those while waiting on Mistborn.

The hard thing about borrowing from the libary is that Brandon's books are so long that it takes other people forever to read + return them.

I waited for Oathbringer for 6 months before just buying the book because I didn't want to wait any longer.

If you have a device for eBooks, you can see if your library supports Overdrive - then use that to check out the digital version of the book(s).