Turn to Page 45

Only a monstrumologist would identify death as the only true cure-all.

-The Monstrumologist

No, this does not describe me at all. 100% fiction. Totally has nothing to do with my life or my job or the fact I spend my spare time looking up how to dispose of corpses.

What's your job?

Let's try this again, this time with MSDN Magazine (technically not a book, but the closest thing next to me).

"Using IIS to host ASP.NET web applications has been the de facto standard for more than a decade."

Oddly enough, this actually might describe me fairly well!   :P

From the Forever Hero Trilogy

"Gerswin tagged along behind Lieutenants G'Maine and Swabo as the three of them trooped between the consoles toward the major."

I guess I'll be in the military??? I'll have to try again later.

Enough time has passed so I finally tried this again.

AND STORM IT ANOTHER KID'S NATURE BOOK. "Raptor Pack", a 'Step Into Reading' book by Robert Bakker. Ahem,

"'Wyoming-raptor' had spent months, maybe even years, dragging in prey bodies and eating them."

:o

:mellow:

:ph34r:

Enough time has passed so I finally tried this again.

AND STORM IT ANOTHER KID'S NATURE BOOK. "Raptor Pack", a 'Step Into Reading' book by Robert Bakker. Ahem,

"'Wyoming-raptor' had spent months, maybe even years, dragging in prey bodies and eating them."

:o

:mellow:

Little disturbing there, Kobold!  Now we have to watch you when you post in those welcome threads.   :ph34r:

Little disturbing there, Kobold!  Now we have to watch you when you post in those welcome threads.   :ph34r:

Watch me? I am a fearsome predator, as cunning as I am elusive.

Also, there's this thing called camouflage...

Watch me? I am a fearsome predator, as cunning as I am elusive.

Also, there's this thing called camouflage...

I can see that text without highlighting it. Just barely, and I can't read it, but I can tell it's there. I don't think you're as skilled at camouflage as you think.

I can see that text without highlighting it. Just barely, and I can't read it, but I can tell it's there. I don't think you're as skilled at camouflage as you think.

Not good at hiding? I don't know what you're talking about.

exqYoWV.jpg

Also, I saw your white text. So there. : P

So here's two from The Dragon Bone Chair, and the Stone of Farewell.

"So I will try and make the story a little shorter lad."

"He called out, as he often did in such horrible dreams, but no sound came out."

So......I'm going to die a early death.....Probably in a really scary way........I need protection from the List please.............

"Redd's creations might have been undone, but her influence on society was still noticeable."

-Seeing Redd, Page 45. Apparently I'm the Red Queen, gone but still hanging around in the form of past evils. Huh.

Get funny glasses too.

.-Homestuck, Page 45. Uhh....I have no idea. I really should have expected this. It should be worth noting that for a moment I got mixed up, and posted the quote from page 15 which is: "SQUAWK LIKE AN IMBECILE, AND ---- ON YOUR DESK", which makes this current command a significant improvement over the old one.

I like it, Chrono. Concise and understated.

"There is a deep irony in Trush's work, and it lies in the fact that he lives in Russia, a country where many people will tell you that it's impossible to live without breaking the law."

The Tiger, by John Vallant

Hmmm...

As I am not (yet) Russian nor in the practice of breaking laws casually, this worries me. Let's move one book over on the shelf.

"And she said that if I sat an A level I would have to have a member of the staff looking after me on my own in a separate room."

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Mark Haddon.

I don't even know.

"For each, the past obeys, as shadows must."

The Devil Delivered, Steven Erikson.

Now that's more like it. Vague, dark, and awesome. I'll take it.

"We were loved, once."

The Way of Kings, page 15.

I got lucky and landed myself an epigraph.

...Or so I thought, until I realized every single epigraph in the first part of that book is something somebody screamed while they died. 

"Like he says, he's a dwarf." - The Fifth Elephant, Terry Pratchett

*sigh* It would be a book that calls me short. So rude. And assumes that I'm a guy too!

(Oh wait, context. At least the person they're talking about is six-feet tall...) :P

Nearest book to me when I first read this was a self-published micro-story collection.

"A phone rings."

A little bit plain. Unless I can use the title of the piece instead: Death's Honeymoon is Apparently Over

Let's try some other nearest books. 

"But I thought it was right, Elinor," said Marianne, "to be guided wholly by the opinion of other people."

Don't think that one is very fitting for me either. Try again?

"Maybe I expect too much."

Now that is ironic.

• 3 weeks later...

Does that mean my life is a lie? Or should I keep watch for halfmen?

If you don't already spend your life pondering those two questions, you're living your life wrong.

"The horsemen were jostling each other for the better line, laughing, competing to see who would hack the child" (The Black Prism, Brent Weeks)

I'm more scared of you than I care to admit right now.

"I'm afraid my friend's attitude moved him to bring an early end to his own sea voyage."

Red Seas Under Red Skies, page 45.

I don't actually have a friend who can drive people off their paths and into random cities for hope of escape. My friends, however, will all tell you that I can do this well enough to make up for their incompetence, so I guess it fits.

(Hmm, thought the Panda. This looks interesting. Maybe I should give it a try, he thinks.)

(The closest book to the Panda was once-900-now-15-paged book that had fallen apart. Discarding it due to the lack of pages, the Panda selected the second closest book.)

"You also quickly realize that none of the maps you have ever seen of the solar system was drawn remotely to scale."

Bill Bryson, A Short History to Nearly Everything

(Huh, though the Panda. That doesn't exactly sum up my life. So the Panda went and chose a second book, making a short detour to grab some bamboo.)

"Light, but he hated not knowing"

Robert Jordan, Lord of Chaos, 6th book in the Wheel of TIme series. (I'm doing a re-read)

(Well, thought the Panda as he sadly munched his bamboo, that sadly sums my life up.)

• Chaos locked this topic