Argenti's descent into Discworld

Argenti

Recently some of you lovely Sharders recommended for me to read Discworld (mostly @The last Fae in the Woods and @Lost Lobo) , Now that I've checked my local library has most of them (I can request the others from nearby libraries) I needed to pick a place to start. I'll probably do the wizard's route to start and go from there (I'll be following this tree)

641b7ea5921e9_PratchettTree.jpg.1bd9fc9a3121a2d25cc5257fb3fe0304.jpg

This thread will follow my journey across the neverending books of Discworld and provide peer-pressure to read them.

20 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

I don't know where you've got them in your plan, but let me give the Moist novels a boost.

Personly I don't like reading soggy books but go on.

Just now, The Known Novel said:

It adds an extra challenge!*

*Says the person that sticks toilet paper in between the pages then takes the paper out before it dries so he can read.

The ink bleeding and wavy pages  adds *character* obv

I finished the book, and honestly, I'm not sure how I feel? It was definitely interesting and very weird but in a good way. I think I sort of understand the basics of the world, but the whole story is a bizarre sort of fever dream with new elements being kinda chaotically added. (You kill creatures of magic by having the ability to use magic and not using it) Also, the head of the wizard school is madly in love with a woman named Granny. I find the gender norms with both sides thinking the other are idiots hilairous while in actulitly both of them are weird.

The I still don't know why my library marked it sci-fi, but thats probaly some future stuff.

100/11 would recomend

25 minutes ago, Argenti said:

The I still don't know why my library marked it sci-fi, but thats probaly some future stuff.

Your library is weird. As far as I know, there is just about nothing to make Discworld Scifi, since I don't think it ever gets past the industrial revolution. 

Im interested in Discworld too! But idk it just doesn't seem very dark 

Is it bizzare? Cause i love bizzare stuff

And i do wanna try stuff out of my comfort zone

8 hours ago, Cruciatus_heart said:

Very much so, I just finished the wyrd sisters and their cat is apparently every male relative to every cat in the last 30 generations.

15 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

Your library is weird. As far as I know, there is just about nothing to make Discworld Scifi, since I don't think it ever gets past the industrial revolution. 

Once I finish all 41 books I can judge that. 

Can we talk about worldbuilding? Theirs just so much stuff mentioned in passing like the 4 elephants holding the world up of the back of a turtle apparently occasicnly have to pick one of their legs to let the sun and moon pass. Demons are really just so over it... The humor is sooooo british

9 hours ago, Cruciatus_heart said:

Im interested in Discworld too! But idk it just doesn't seem very dark 

And i do wanna try stuff out of my comfort zone

It's very much comic fantasy - extremely different from the stuff you normally read, I love it but idk if you would.

Edited by Robin Sedai

On 4/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, Argenti said:

Can we talk about worldbuilding? Theirs just so much stuff mentioned in passing like the 4 elephants holding the world up of the back of a turtle apparently occasicnly have to pick one of their legs to let the sun and moon pass. Demons are really just so over it... The humor is sooooo british

That's probably why Terry Pratchett got knighted by the queen for contributions to literature (which he definitely deserved).

The other cool thing about the worldbuilding, in my experience (I've read most but not all of them) is that continuity is maintained extremely well in a low-key kinda way.

Just now, MGershone said:

The other cool thing about the worldbuilding, in my experience (I've read most but not all of them) is that continuity is maintained extremely well in a low-key kinda way.

I've only read two, and I noticed that too

I Finished Witches Abroad; imagine the plot of The Princess and the Frog (reversed though, turned a frog into human) with the plot of cinderella and some sleeping beauty, but there are some random old women who do not want to be in that story and actively try to undermine it. I need to start listing to the wicked sound track while reading them.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted but I've read eight four times two books since then.

Heres the Witches, I'll do the rest tommorow 

Spoiler

Lords and Ladies: Fairies are magnetic (I immediately stole this for a dnd session) granny weatherwax almost died. also Margret got married and had a child

Masquerade: It's the Phantom of the Operahahahahahahahah!!!! Also, the witches filled the hole in their coven with a new person (who has a split personality complex)

Carpe Jugulam; If we where vampires and death was joke? Basically some weird new-world vampires come into the witch's land and go gangster style,  becuase of mind over matter they're imune to most common vampire stuff. Later these Vampires try to vamp Granny who uses an uno reverse card and turns them into mini-Grany instead.

40 minutes ago, Argenti said:
Spoiler

Lords and Ladies: Fairies are magnetic (I immediately stole this for a dnd session) granny weatherwax almost died. also Margret got married and had a child

Wow... But I approve. It is a parody. I absolutely love it.

40 minutes ago, Argenti said:
Spoiler

Masquerade: It's the Phantom of the Operahahahahahahahah!!!! Also, the witches filled the hole in their coven with a new person (who has a split personality complex)

Yup another parody. I have listened to this at least 8 times.

41 minutes ago, Argenti said:
Spoiler

Carpe Jugulam; If we where vampires and death was joke? Basically some weird new-world vampires come into the witch's land and go gangster style,  becuase of mind over matter they're imune to most common vampire stuff. Later these Vampires try to vamp Granny who uses an uno reverse card and turns them into mini-Grany instead.

Granny is just fun like that.

I procured the Color of Magic from a different library, and it very much felt like Pratchett's first book. The writing felt diffrent from his later ones but still very good. It filled in a lot of the world-building the other books left open and had some witty jokes, also @The Last Fæ I understand your location now. I'm curious about what the spell is and if he will ever cast it.

Spoiler

Eight. :)

Ive also read some of the watch books which i'll talk about tomorrow