What do you think is meant by Odium being called "The Broken One"?

snote

During a death rattle in The Way of Kings, someone says, "There once were three, but now 'The Broken One' reigns." I have a theory that there was some kind of agreement maybe even the Oathpact, that Honor, Cultivation, and Odium would sacrifice themselves to end their war. Instead of going through with it himself Odium just disperses a chunk of his shardic power and leaves him broken. The other two are left completely destroyed. I also think it could be battle damage he took or even the catalyst for the splintering he's done. Any thoughts? It is just such a specific thing to be called for it to be a simple nickname.

In view of WoR, an alternate understanding is that this rattle could refer to the bonding spren for the Bondsmiths.  Could it be that there were once three or more of this type of spren?  The Stormfather is clearly in some reigning rule over at least a significant group of spren.  He also is clearly broken.  It seems quite possible to me that this rattle refers to the Stormfather rather than Odium as we had previously assumed.

In view of WoR, an alternate understanding is that this rattle could refer to the bonding spren for the Bondsmiths.  Could it be that there were once three or more of this type of spren?  The Stormfather is clearly in some reigning rule over at least a significant group of spren.  He also is clearly broken.  It seems quite possible to me that this rattle refers to the Stormfather rather than Odium as we had previously assumed.

Ya know, I never thought about that. It's a good interpretation. I know that it says in WoR that during some time "There were only 3 Bondsmith's in service to the thrones of Urithiru. Due to the nature of their spren, increasing their ranks, seemed a seditious act" or something like that. So, you could very well be right. Plus, Syl straight up says, "He is broken, Kaladin." in reference to the Stormfather. Good catch.

Ya know, I never thought about that. It's a good interpretation. I know that it says in WoR that during some time "There were only 3 Bondsmith's in service to the thrones of Urithiru. Due to the nature of their spren, increasing their ranks, seemed a seditious act" or something like that. So, you could very well be right. Plus, Syl straight up says, "He is broken, Kaladin." in reference to the Stormfather. Good catch.

Good catch indeed, I really like this interpretation.

You know, I appreciate the props, snote and shawn, but I looked at the epigraph again and it says, "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns."  This use of sixteen resonates strongly with Shards.  It seems a stretch for spren.  If spren, who were the 16? Why did only three of them rule?  Were/are the spren led by 16 different spren with three who ruled over all together?  Maybe.  But, it seems more likely to me to refer to Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.  

Edited by Shardlet

You know, I appreciate the props, snote and shawn, but I looked at the epigraph again and it says, "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns."  This use of sixteen resonates strongly with Shards.  It seems a stretch for spren.  If spren, who were the 16? Why did only three of them rule?  Were/are the spren led by 16 different spren with three who ruled over all together?  Maybe.  But, it seems more likely to me to refer to Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.  

Never let reality get in the way of a good idea! That's my motto. Correct is a result not a process and other cliches!

• Chaos locked this topic