Stormlight/Mistborn Timeline

Captain Coffee

I think I must have misunderstood something about the Cosmere timeline. So, Mistborn Era 2 takes place a couple of years after the upcoming Stormlight 5. That's cool. But, Mistborn Era 3 is supposed to be equivalent to the 1980's, so (let's say) 80-120 after Stormlight 5. But, Stormlight 6-10 are only supposed to be 10-15 years after Stormlight 5. So, are we going to see the consequences of Stormlight 10 over a decade early in Mistborn Era 3? Or have I misunderstood the timeline?

Era 3 is only 50-70 years after era 2, but after SA 10 yes.

Spoiler

Questioner

You said that there’s gonna be a time jump between [Stormlight] Book Five and Book Six, the two arcs. And also going into Era Three of Mistborn. Era Three and Era Four, are they gonna go way past what’s going on in the second arc?

Brandon Sanderson

So, Era One of Stormlight. Break for ten years-ish in-world. (I have to write Book Six to know exactly how long it’s going to be, but somewhere around that.) Wax and Wayne happens during that break, chronologically. And Era Three of Mistborn; I would say seventy years, might be closer to fifty. But either way, it’s going to be post-Stormlight [Ten]. We’re getting a little disjointed in our timelines, just as the writing balances out, but I think it’s gonna work out. I don’t think they should be giving too many spoilers to each other. I do have to kind of talk around things now and then.

Dragonsteel 2022 (Nov. 14, 2022)

1 hour ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Era 3 is only 50-70 years after era 2, but after SA 10 yes.

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

You said that there’s gonna be a time jump between [Stormlight] Book Five and Book Six, the two arcs. And also going into Era Three of Mistborn. Era Three and Era Four, are they gonna go way past what’s going on in the second arc?

Brandon Sanderson

So, Era One of Stormlight. Break for ten years-ish in-world. (I have to write Book Six to know exactly how long it’s going to be, but somewhere around that.) Wax and Wayne happens during that break, chronologically. And Era Three of Mistborn; I would say seventy years, might be closer to fifty. But either way, it’s going to be post-Stormlight [Ten]. We’re getting a little disjointed in our timelines, just as the writing balances out, but I think it’s gonna work out. I don’t think they should be giving too many spoilers to each other. I do have to kind of talk around things now and then.

Dragonsteel 2022 (Nov. 14, 2022)

Thanks! I don't love that, but I'm glad to know I'm not crazy.