Ettemetal - Trelliumm Explosion questions

Doonl

On 17.11.2022 at 2:27 AM, Telesphoros said:

If Harmony doesn't know how Wax's experiment was different, how did he test it again?

This is actually exact reason why he would run tests again and again. With sloght changes to envirnoment and parameters of reaction, he will run tests until he will succeed.

On 17.11.2022 at 1:07 AM, Karger said:

The only noticeable difference as far as I can tell is that Wax burned metal at the time.

I have different idea.

Wasnt Wax's safebox coated with significant Aluminium layer? Aluminium is actually not essential in construction of something like this. We dont even know if Set was using safeboxes. So maybe to create Atium and Lerasium you need to first "disconnect" metal from Shard, simmilar how you need to "disconnect" Lights from Rythm, in process of creation of Anti-Light. So in this case Aluminium Box would work similar to vacuum tube. And Ettmetal disconnected from Harmony would be more simmilar to Atium-Lerasium, so would be more possible to divide it. After all, VenDell thinks you cant divide Ettmetal untill Harmony remains whole, but if Ettmetal doesn't "feel" Connection to Harmony...

Do we actually know for sure what the intent of the Set's experiments were? Were they actively trying to create Atium and Lerassium, or were they trying to create a weapon? We do know Wax was intent on separating both metals.

I know they were trying to create mistborn, so it seems likely they were trying to recreate Lerassium and the bomb was the second prize, but I can't actually remember if in the book that was ever stated outright, rather than them trying to create a WoMD right off the bat. I definitely may just have missed, or forgotten, it being stated outright though.

On 11/26/2022 at 2:47 AM, Lupis said:

Do we actually know for sure what the intent of the Set's experiments were? Were they actively trying to create Atium and Lerassium, or were they trying to create a weapon? We do know Wax was intent on separating both metals.

I know they were trying to create mistborn, so it seems likely they were trying to recreate Lerassium and the bomb was the second prize, but I can't actually remember if in the book that was ever stated outright, rather than them trying to create a WoMD right off the bat. I definitely may just have missed, or forgotten, it being stated outright though.

I've seen a really fun theory about how the Intent required is inherently contradictory and would cause making Lerasium to be nearly impossible.

Basically, the idea was that whether you get some extra Lerasium or Atium out of splitting Harmonium depends on your Intent when you do it. If you're trying to do something destructive, you get Atium (Ruin's investiture), if you're trying to preserve something, you get Lerasium. ...the problem is, the actual ACTION you have to take - causing a Trellium-Harmonium explosion - is inherently destructive. If you're intending to make an explosion, you get Atium. You only get Lerasium if you're Intending to Preserve the Harmonium - which is what Wax was doing when he made that secondary explosion! He was trying to gather the Harmonium at the back of the safebox. If that's when he actually caused the secondary trellium/harmonium explosion and created Lerasium, that weird intent would be a reason you could basically never reproduce it deliberately. If you know what you're doing and deliberately cause an explosion, you get Atium.

3 hours ago, ftl said:

If you know what you're doing and deliberately cause an explosion, you get Atium.

If the Set had produced atium, we would have heard about it, though. Particularly since they would have quickly discovered that, if Sanderson intends to go forward with the ret-con, anyone can burn it.

Otherwise, this is an interesting idea, but there is another difference between Wax's experiment and the Set's - he was using a charged hemalurgic spike, while they, no doubt employed pure trellium.

I am not sure if we can believe Harmony that he doesn't know what happened either, BTW. There is a WoB that he is capable of producing atium and lerasium if he so choses, but clearly he wants everyone to think that he isn't, and similarly he wishes to keep the knowledge of making lerasium from ettmetal to remain secret for as long as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...