Lightsong's Past

JessK

Soooooo...when Llarimar yells at Lightsong, he says, "And everytime, I get in trouble with you. Nothing has changed. You become a god, and I still end up in prison!" It sounds to me like it is implying this is not the first time Llarimar has been in jail because of Stennimar? I am curious now about the back story to this, lol. What did Stennimar, a scribe (who, as is implied from his lack of fighting or lock picking abilities, apparently did not have any criminal inclinations) do to get his brother temporarily thrown in jail? 

1 hour ago, JessK said:

Soooooo...when Llarimar yells at Lightsong, he says, "And everytime, I get in trouble with you. Nothing has changed. You become a god, and I still end up in prison!" It sounds to me like it is implying this is not the first time Llarimar has been in jail because of Stennimar? I am curious now about the back story to this, lol. What did Stennimar, a scribe (who, as is implied from his lack of fighting or lock picking abilities, apparently did not have any criminal inclinations) do to get his brother temporarily thrown in jail? 

It was explained in the annotations; more specifically, this one:

Spoiler

Annotation to Ch 53:

Lightsong Is in Prison

Lightsong here is not giving up, which I think is very appropriate for his character. He still has his sense of confidence. In a way, the priest who kills Blushweaver is right. Lightsong does still see it as a game. His life in the court has taught him that things aren’t ever dangerous for him. This is all just politics, and a big piece of him feels that he’s just on an adventure. He finds it exciting.

That’s why Llarimar blows up at him. It’s not Lightsong’s fault—he’s been trained by the last five years to look at life this way. But here, the games have ended, and it’s suddenly become very real and very dangerous. Llarimar is the type who is very calm headed until you just push him past his snapping point, and then he loses it. It’s hard to get him there, but the current situation is enough.

By the way, this is only the second time Lightsong has landed them both in prison. The first time happened a good twenty years earlier, even if Llarimar has never quite gotten over it. It involved a whole lot of drinking. (Llarimar, already then an acolyte priest of the Iridescent Tones, had never gotten “good drunk” as Lightsong called it at the time. So, he took him out on he day before his ordination as a full priest and got him solidly, rip-roaringly drunk. The embarrassment of what they did, landing themselves in prison for trying to bust into the Court of Gods while wearing only their underclothing, nearly got Llarimar tossed out of the priesthood. Needless to say, he didn’t make full priest the next day. It was three years before he was allowed to apply for ordination again.)