Light, Metal, and Investiture

Rune

Okay, so I don’t know if this has been explained elsewhere or what but I’ve been wondering why in the Scadrial system the Shard’s impact can be seen in the Godmetals and the Mist but on Roshar it is in the form of Light, Tones, and Rhythms.  What do you think is the reason behind this is? Also, would there be a Godmetal, Light/tone/rhythm, and maybe even type of breath (as breaths are little pieces of Endowment itself so are a reflection of its power (I think? Please correct me)) for each and every Shard? (And maybe the combination of all is Adonalisium’s Light? (in Roshar’s case))

So far I’ve assumed that that is just the natural form that Investiture takes in a given system but if that’s the case (it’s just natural) then why that form and not some other?

Sorry if this seems a bit cluttered and messy or just plain stupid :)

Hey there! As far as I'm aware, every Shard has a Godmetal, tone, light etc. Godmetal is solid manifestation of investiture and Light/Breath is gaseous. They all follow the same formula but the Shard does have some limited control over how their investiture manifests and behaves and this is also influenced by the planet. There are tones on Scadrial too - Seekers can sense them (those pulses than Vin from the Well, and Brandon has said that Seekers would feel the Tones on Roshar).

Edited by metal get in my tummy

To manifest in the Physical Realm, Investiture is either invested in a person/object, or it manifest a "pure" form as it's own form of matter.  Barring shenanigans and specific circumstances (which can always exist in the cosmere) every shard should have a solid form that for thematic reasons is usually a Metal, the Liquid of the Shardpools (which is the most potent and versatile form), and a Gaseous form.  Rosharan Lights, Breaths, and both Mists are different/known forms of gaseous Investiture, so they are theoretically equivalent and without significant effort I dont think a Light of Endowment or Preservation, etc would exist since they already have a gaseous form.  The Tones and Rhythms are more of a realmic thing ultimately emanating from the Spiritual realm; each Shard will most likely have a Pure Tone cosmere-wide, and then all sorts of lesser and/or more complex mixed Rhythms might manifest for those with ties to their investiture, like the rhythms of the Singers or of Scadrian Seekers.