Feruchemist using Nightblood?

Duxredux

Question

I'm pretty sure we've gotten WoBs that say that someone actively drawing from a Metalmind can use the Investiture to feed Nighblood. Anyone know if a Feruchemist can actively "store" attributes into feeding Nightblood? I have this mental image of an Feruchemist running around and swinging Nightblood while actively dumping their "active memory", weight, sense of taste and smell, and maybe other attributes like warmth. I'm guessing it wouldn't actually work this way, since it seems like Nightblood has an exponential increase in hunger until he's sated, but the idea of a Feruchemist walking up to a group of baddies, drawing the sword, and then coming to themselves when Nightblood clicks into his sheath with black smoke drifting around them... Cool but terrifying.

5 answers to this question

Man, now you're making me think about what could happen if you start storing Identity while wielding Nightblood. I wonder if a feruchemist could feed Nightblood enough that you blank your identity, and thus allow Nightblood to temporarily "possess" them while being wielded. Hm. That's a terrifying possibility.

Absolutely.  The issue with nightblood is that unless you give it a source of ready made Investiture, it will just take some of everything equally and kill the person. I that instance though, the Feruchemist is really just choosing which thing to feed Nightblood first, and the sum total they have is still going to pretty small by Nightblood's standards.  Feruchemy alone would only really be helpful to feed him from a huge store of something that is easy to refill and energy dense by whatever Investure measuring scale may eventually be revealed.  

An allomancer would have a much better chance, they could "safely" wield Nightblood so long as they keep burning metal.  And a Compounder would probably be the best because they could compound up huge stores and not have to worry as much about Burn rates.    

14 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

Man, now you're making me think about what could happen if you start storing Identity while wielding Nightblood. I wonder if a feruchemist could feed Nightblood enough that you blank your identity, and thus allow Nightblood to temporarily "possess" them while being wielded. Hm. That's a terrifying possibility.

So that's how Nightblood will get an actual sense of good vs evil.

12 minutes ago, Invocation said:

So that's how Nightblood will get an actual sense of good vs evil.

Im pretty sure he already has. He's called Szeth out for being Cruel, and I dont think he was capable of that back in Warbreaker.

Yeah, Quantus's response on required quantity is what I think would end up happening. Feruchemists are different than most people in that they can convert things like memories or sensory input into Investiture beyond simple physical structure, but considering how fast Nightblood eats Stormlight, it still probably wouldn't be enough. Now considering you can dump entire libraries into Copperminds... What about someone just dumping their memory into Nightblood, and not what they are actively experiencing? Now the wielder doesn't remember squat, which is worse.

I kinda want to ask Brandon this, if only for his reaction. Q&As probably will happen less often now though, and I support his decisions.